POST ALL FOV 1/18 FINDS AND DISCUSSION HERE!

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Razor17019
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Razor17019 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:40 pm

Teamski wrote:Well, I finally broke down and bought all of the WWII figures short 3 US troops, which were missing. Now I can't sleep until I get those..... ;)

-Ski
Which ones you need, Ski?
Someone here can find you the 3 US guys you are missing.
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:42 pm

LOL Jessie - Yeah Target employees are a funny group - Most of the time - If I know they have the item in stock - Ill call ahead and state I was at another target and they told me the computer showed they had a few of the item I'm looking for still in stock - this is usually a last effort - but most of the time - I've been lucky - For Instance..........

Today I hit the target on Cobb parkway - near my school - hit it once a week - and they had the green Sherman!! Finally. And It showed more in the stockroom. I walked to the girl at the electronics and asked her if she could please check and see if they have the two color camo # 47 in the back as that was the one I was wanting.

She called back and then said "He said we don't check for collectables in the stockroom." I said But it isn't a collectable - it is a toy tank...."

So she went back on the radio and said well we are not supposed to bring these out but he is bringing out what we have. The guy brought out a green one and the camo and I gladly thanked him for his effort and finally have my FOV Sherman!!!
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:33 am

Razor17019 wrote:
Teamski wrote:Well, I finally broke down and bought all of the WWII figures short 3 US troops, which were missing. Now I can't sleep until I get those..... ;)

-Ski
Which ones you need, Ski?
Someone here can find you the 3 US guys you are missing.
Thanks for the offer, but I'm sure they will restock since I cleared them out. At least Target is good for that.....

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

Sky Ray
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Sky Ray » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:40 pm

Teamski wrote:Thanks for the offer, but I'm sure they will restock since I cleared them out. At least Target is good for that.....

-Ski
Target is pretty fast restocking it if you clear out the racks. I was in the same situation you were in, I got everybody but was lacking 2 U.S. soldiers, there was only 4 U.S. soldiers left alone on the Bravo Team rack, I bought them all and came back the next day and they were restocked with more, allowing me to get the last 2 guys.

topnotch97
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by topnotch97 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:12 pm

has anyone manage to head swap those WWII to modern ones, and vice versa?

do they fit? do they look ok?

trying to see if i could increase the size of my unit or so. thus resorting head swap the figures.

digger

Post by digger » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:18 pm

topnotch97 wrote:has anyone manage to head swap those WWII to modern ones, and vice versa?

do they fit? do they look ok?

trying to see if i could increase the size of my unit or so. thus resorting head swap the figures.
Fit great, look great. Swap well with recent bbi guys too - but the fov bodies look better with bbi heads that have a bit longer neck.

Tambo
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Tambo » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:40 pm

I'm done looking for FOV Armor. I'll visit Target 1 time a Month.

General Blasto
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by General Blasto » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:37 am

Couple points to note -

THe FOV Tiger was only out for what, about a month ??
I think with all the reviews and the problems noted on it, production on it was stopped and the few that were released dried up REAL quick :shock: I was lucky to find some, thanks to another forum member for finding me some 8) I also bled for a couple more on Evil bay too :oops: Hopefully, they will be released again in a different scheme(hopefully the Normandy tricolor).

Changing heads on the FOV figures,
Yes, the modern FOV heads fit well on the FOV WWII figures :P THey are almost a direct match. 21st C heads fit also, but you need to trim off a bit on the bottom of the mounting peg to make them seat down on the shoulders of the WWII FOV figures. Platoon head also will fit IF you trim down the peg AND cut an "x" with spue snippers down the shaft of the peg, this makes the peg wider ;) I have not tried to use Dragon heads, because I don't have any extras :oops: I hope this helps. I can post pictures later next week when I can get to the figures, I got my craft room temporarily changed over to a bedroom while my father is down visting. Da General

Sky Ray
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Sky Ray » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:48 pm

Found the plain green Sherman at Diamond Bar Target today. It was the only one left, I checked the price scanner and it says there was no more in the stockroom. After that, I visited the Puente Hills Target, just one city away from Diamond Bar, and found that their Target had 2 camo Shermans sitting on the shelf. Picked up another one for back-up purposes.
I am finally done with this "Target-hopping" I've been doing for two months, and I must say... -it has been fun! Can't wait until Fall arrives!

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:01 pm

Sky Ray wrote:I am finally done with this "Target-hopping" I've been doing for two months, and I must say... -it has been fun! Can't wait until Fall arrives!
That's how I felt last week when I found the cammo Shermans in Fresno, but I won't say it was fun. More like a waste of gas driving around to different Target stores time and again with no luck. I'd love to know why it took them so long to come west? Target now3 seems to be rivaling Wal Mart as far as distribution slowness, but at least multiple stores stand a chance at getting the tanks :wink:

Still, I now have my cammo Sherman, and like it 8)
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

topnotch97
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by topnotch97 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:30 am

Target store Redwood City, CA has one of each Shermans, olive drab and olive cammo.

anyone needing these guys need to take the first flight in the morning to SFO, and then take either train, KX bus, or rent a car to acquire these.

no other store around that area have it. so there.

good hunting people.

rmoore456
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by rmoore456 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:10 pm

Have the Bradleys been returned to vendor from Target? The local store had at least 8 last week now none. They haven't been moving that fast around here.

Ray

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:29 pm

Saw an olive drab Sherman at one of my local Targets and another store had the cammo ones. That makes at least three stores that have the Shermans in now. The OD Sherman was quite tempting, and I like how they painted the tools on that one. Still, due to space considerations, I think I'll stick with my cammo version :wink:

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:32 am

Would anyone with the FOV olive drab Sherman please post a detailed review of their FOV vs. the 21st Century and/or BBI Shermans?

Thanks

rmoore456
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by rmoore456 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:52 pm

Shermans have landed in central Illinois, found them in Normal.
Ray

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:11 pm

Finally found the olive drab version. Not as nice as the camo one, but I still picked one up. :D

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:35 am

dragon53 wrote:Would anyone with the FOV olive drab Sherman please post a detailed review of their FOV vs. the 21st Century and/or BBI Shermans?

Thanks
Here you go 8)

Please mind the fact that I have not purchased the OD green version of the FOV sherman, though it is identical in construction to the cammo version pictured. Also, all my tanks have been "customized" with extra figures and accessories from what originally came with them.

These are the three basic Sherman tanks in 1:18 scale. The latest version of the 21c Sherman is to the left, with the cammo FOV Sherman in the middle and the BBI Sherman to the right. I'm not too familiar with all the different Sherman model variants, but I believe the 21c Sherman is an M4A1, with the BBI Sherman being an M4A3 (105mm gun) and the FOV tank also being an M4A3, or some variation on it.

All three tanks, at leat in my opinion, look great! The best detailing can be found on the BBI Sherman, with the 21c version not being too bad itself. The FOV version is really a surprise as while it lacks some of the opening hatches found on the other two vehicles, its sculpting is very crisp and detailed. The texturing on the turret and front glacis armor is a nice touch. The machinegun is actually very well detailed, and looks better than either the FOV or 21c guns.

Still the FOV tank does lack some of the finer details of its counterparts: some of the tow hooks are not hollowed out, the drivers hatches do not open, the tools are moulded on (but look better than those on the FOV Tiger); no accessories are included either attached to the tank or seperately, other than the .50" machinegun and rear storage rack. There are a few other little detail odds and ends not included on the FOV tank.

Overall, however, the FOV tank goes quite well with its counterparts and is not really a copy of either variant. That is cool in that it gives us essentially three different Shermans to add to our collections. The lack of accessories on the FOV Sherman is also a plus in its own way. The WWII figures come with tons of accessories, with the crates, jerrycans, and ammo boxes being perfect for stashing on the Sherman. As you can see on mine, I've also used some 21c and Build-a-rama pieces, even a couple of FOV 1:32 accessories.

Hopefully this review helps for those deciding on purchasing the FOV Sherman. While it is certainly not the best in terms of detail and accessories, it is a solid model and looks good nonetheless 8)

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:18 pm

TMANTHEGREAT:

Thanks for the great review and photos.
I stopped my Target treks a long time ago looking for the Sherman, but might start again now that they're in stock in other parts of the country.
My FOV Abrams is a very good tank, but the optional crewman I bought made it a much better tank. I'm wary of FOV's Sherman because it looks pretty skimpy (detail and accessories) compared to the 21st and BBI Shermans. But, it's only $20 while the 21st Sherman is no more and the BBI has the 105mm I don't want at a higher price.
I'm hoping 21st will re-release the Sherman like it did the upcoming Panther. If not, the FOV Sherman is an alternative.

grockwood
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by grockwood » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:50 pm

The 21st Century Sherman is a mid production M4 75mm Sherman
The BBI Sherman is a late production M4A3 105mm Howitzer Sherman
The FOV is an early production M4A3 hull with a late production 75mm turret.

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:14 pm

GROCKWOOD:

I'd like to see an "any" production 21st Century Sherman---a re-release. :wink:

grockwood
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by grockwood » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:09 pm

It is funny how the cycle goes. When I was trying to find another BBI Sherman, Ebay was full of 21st Century vesions. Now they have all disappeared and the FOV Sherman is the flaver of the week on ebay.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:01 pm

dragon53 wrote:TMANTHEGREAT:

Thanks for the great review and photos.
I stopped my Target treks a long time ago looking for the Sherman, but might start again now that they're in stock in other parts of the country.
My FOV Abrams is a very good tank, but the optional crewman I bought made it a much better tank. I'm wary of FOV's Sherman because it looks pretty skimpy (detail and accessories) compared to the 21st and BBI Shermans. But, it's only $20 while the 21st Sherman is no more and the BBI has the 105mm I don't want at a higher price.
I'm hoping 21st will re-release the Sherman like it did the upcoming Panther. If not, the FOV Sherman is an alternative.
You just might want to start up your Target treks. Aren't you in So Cal? I've heard reports of Shermans there. All the Targets in Fresno have at least one Sherman, so I think they've hit the west now.

It is most certainly less-detailed than the 21c and BBI Shermans, but overall does not look bad. The tools, while moulded on, do not look as terrible as the shovels on the FOV Tiger, and when painted, look great. Having the tank come without any pre-attached accessories makes the vehicle an excellent choice for custom projects 8)

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:08 pm

TMANTHEGREAT:

I'm in Houston. But I'd gladly pay extra if 21st re-released their Sherman---the crewman, more detail and stowage would be worth the extra cost.

pokeyjtc
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pokeyjtc » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:02 pm

Found both of the Shermans at a Target in Katy today. Picked up both, but I am probably going to take back the OD one since I don't need both.

Fritzkrieg
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Fritzkrieg » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:07 pm

I found a set of Germans this morning at my local Super Target. Used this Web coupon and saved $5.00 on the set. Here's the link for the Web coupon
http://sites.target.com/site/en/spot/pa ... oupon_toys

I still have not found a Tiger, around here.