BBI Marines, Wave 2? (and other new BBI stuff)

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Jesse James
Officer - Brigadier General

BBI Marines, Wave 2? (and other new BBI stuff)

Post by Jesse James » Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:53 am

I went into a local Toys R Us store the other day looking for Star Wars figures, and I was surprised to see new BBI product... not terribly surprised by the pilots and the guys with the berets now, as they've hit here in Pittsburgh in full force, but...

I was surprised to see "new" Marines.

They're not new sculpts, but the original wave of Marines is reshipping with different paint applications and some seem to have different weapons I think... The paint's noticeably different though.

Some guys have "stubble" or "dirt" painted on them, which is odd sort of, but it looks ok. Starts of Goatee's and beards and such.

Did anyone know they were repainting the original leathernecks though and tossing them back on shelves?

I also noticed with the 2 guys with berets that I bought, that they have noticeably better construction than the 1st wave of Marines did that utilized the same body. The Marine's joints would pop off at the arms (bicep and elbow both), but on the new guys with berets and new weapons, they are much sturdier and they seem to have their legs a little wider apart so they don't look like they're trying to keep a greased BB up their rears!

If the new wave of Marines are anything near as good in their construction, I think I may start upgrading my troops because those 1st series guys were flawed, to say the least.

On paintjobs, I can't tell who's got a good one and who doesn't. There's more going on with these newer figures... The woodland camo's especially confusing and I'm not sure it is as accurate as it should be. On the Marines it looks nice enough though, both versions. The beret guys, I dunno that it's so nice.

Oh, and one more question...

Did anyone else wonder what the gun is with the one woodland camo'd guy that has a beret? It looks like something out of the movie Alien. I've seen new weapons in development and things on the History Channel, and this gun looks like something out of a sci-fi flick. Anyone familiar with it? It's got a clip coming out the stock it seems... Kind of hard to put into words, so hopefully one of you will just know what I'm talking about.

Overall, I can't wait to see BBI make a go at WW2, especially figures. If they're improving their construction of figures, and the style of articulation at the arms, then I can safely say that they'd make amazing figures in this scale, and I can only hope some are WW2. I'd dig some Coalition troops done up though for modern era, and some baddies perhaps... Any kind of "bad guy" really, or go the route 21st did with "allies" that just happen to look exactly like the enemy as well. :) Shrewd, but effective maneuver from 21st, and I like it!
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

tmanthegreat

BBI Gun

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:48 pm

This is a new gun being developed for the US Army. I've read about it in a popular sicence magizne a couple of years ago. I forget the numerical designation, but it incorporates two firearms, one having the standard M-16 type round and the other a 20mm explosive round. It also has thermal and infrared sights built in. The sight can rotate so the soldier can shoot around corners, etc. The whole package is essentially a "super gun" that is supposed to be easy to carry without too much clutter.

digger

bbi USMC

Post by digger » Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:20 pm

The new guys have the new digitally designed camo now on all marines, which is really more like a collection of spots. The guns are better weathered and the helmets finally have camo. The facial hair is a nice change, although I don't know if any Marines would look like that in this day and age....
The new gun is a two in one, however the one I've read about the top (larger) part can fire a non-lethal round, and the bottom standard NATO rounds. The two pieces come apart so the lethal weapon can be wielded in close quarters. The weapon was designed for urban combat.

kenhil2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by kenhil2 » Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:12 pm

sounds like tru has a bunch of new finds coming out, i checked it the other day and they had a brand new stock of seals in ,the wave 2 weapon sets, and 3 navy pilots. so i picked up the weapon sets and all three pilots, still on the lookout for the spec forces guys with berets, and now these new? marines.
...ken

Semper Fi

"if you haven't been there, shut the f@#k up"

kenhil2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by kenhil2 » Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:16 pm

oh yea, can anyone post pics of these new figures?
...ken

Semper Fi

"if you haven't been there, shut the f@#k up"

digger

bbi usmc

Post by digger » Sun Oct 17, 2004 2:00 pm

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:04 pm