Veterans

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
spaceCADETzoom
Private First Class
Private First Class

battlefidl commissions

Post by spaceCADETzoom » Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:36 am

macvsog,
I was merely curious. But, I don't understand you getting a "battlefield commission" if you were already a commissioned 2LT. If you were already a PL in the 101st, did you mean to say you were instantly promoted? Does that mean you were moved up to company XO or something because of circumstances..? I'm just fascinated by your rather exciting experiences. And was unclear about that battlefild commission part. Maybe the nomenclature is more loose...I just don't understand how you could be commissioned twice. I'm probably just getting hung up on silly words. In fact, there are plenty of odd, slightly-off, word usages that I'm scratching my head at in your post...but what do I know. Maybe things were different 30 years ago..? Thanks for your service...

I guess this is a general question for all...I understand battlefield commissions for enlisted soldiers. For example, an NCO awarded one. But how does one who's already commissioned get a battlefield comssion. Is "promotion" used interchangably in this case?

Oh, to answer the topic thread. I myself am an Army cadet. As it stands, I'm merely an "apprentice soldier" right now..:) So far I'm looking into SMP'ing into a local USAR unit for additional experience before commissioning. I'm currently a grad student working for my MA in PoliSci, and hope to branch Armor or the old family trade, Field Artillery. If my eyes weren't so crummy, it would have been Aviation all the way!
Last edited by spaceCADETzoom on Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

spaceCADETzoom
Private First Class
Private First Class

Saratoga

Post by spaceCADETzoom » Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:41 am

OH, STV9000! My father was on the Saratoga during Vietnam! He was in the V-4 division. The funny thing is, my cousin-in-law was on the Saratoga decades later, too. He was aboard the same time you were, as he was there during desert storm. He was in the engine room, i believe... FOrgive me, I'm not a sailor, but some of the best people I know were! :)

stv9000
Corporal
Corporal

saratoga

Post by stv9000 » Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:40 pm

Space Cadet Zoom, I was on the Sara in '87 before I struck EW.
During Desert Storm I was on the Spruance (DD963). It was in the Saratoga battle group but the Spruance went its seprate way once
we hit the Med. The Sara launched so many aircraft it wore the nonskid
of the deck.