POST BBI KIOWA & S. HUMVEE FINDS AND DISCUSSION HERE

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Just1more
Corporal
Corporal

SKU number

Post by Just1more » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:27 pm

Anyone have the SKU number for the Kiowa? Hopefully I can save a few trips.
Thanks,
David

CW4USARMY
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by CW4USARMY » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:52 am

David,

SKU# from the box is 21105 21415.

Clutch
Private First Class
Private First Class

sku for new Humvee

Post by Clutch » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:01 pm

How about the sku for the humvee??

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:03 pm

Kiowas and Humvees in Austin, Texas
Todd

Just1more
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Just1more » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:23 pm

Thanks for the Sku it was much appreciated :D

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:58 pm

Opened my Kiowa tonight. I admit that I was impatient and bought it on ebay. It's an excellent piece - perhaps the best of the helos to date. Lots of detail and I like the interchangeable armament. I may get another just to keep in the box for now. Will see if they show up at TRU.

Also picked up a couple of the Super Humvees today (one for me and one for my son), at one of the local TRUs (Greece). Also a very nice piece. Not as detailed as the Kiowa, but a good value nevertheless. I wish the recoiless rifle barrel wasn't solid (no opening on the business end) , but it's not a huge deal to me. I was not impressed with the previous bbi Humvees, but this one hooked me in. I can see I'll have a lot of fun loading it up with figures and stowage.

No Kiowas were in evidence at TRU.

75th Ranger
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

got my Super Hummers yesterday here in FL.

Post by 75th Ranger » Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:57 am

got my Super Hummers yesterday here in FL.
I bought two at mone of my local TRU....no signs of the KIOWA helo as of right now.
take care,
HOOAH!

Clutch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Kiowa

Post by Clutch » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:02 am

I just opened my Kiowa and was very happy with the detail but disappointed that the side cargo/personel doors do not open.

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:01 pm

I saw one at my local TRU but passed since I don't collect Helos.

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:02 pm

Clutch: I'm no expert on the Kiowa, but are you sure they have cargo/personnel doors? From the photos I've seen on the internet, it doesn't look like they have such doors. Plus the bbi version seems so well detailed, I just can't imagine they'd leave that out.

momaw nadon
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by momaw nadon » Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:55 pm

Tinman,
It does have rear doors, but on the Kiowa Warrior version which bbi made, they would only have computer equipment, weapons system controls, MMS systems, navigational system, etc. It would be openned for maintenance and repair. The copter has much in the way of equipment with limited amount of space. It would have been nice if the would have made it to open and reveal that.
momaw nadon

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:04 pm

momaw nadon:

Thank you for filling me in! Yes, it would have been nice if bbi had gone the extra mile and included the rear doors and some interior detail behind them. On the other hand, though, this piece is still a great value at $20.
I still want a second one!

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:42 pm

looking at some pics on ebay i noticed that these new bbi items are in the older style blue boxes. Makes me think they have been kicking around a while and have only just now been released; perhaps intended to be released around a year ago with the apache, abrams, lav et al?

Anyway, they both look super neat....must haves for sure.

Clutch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Two birds

Post by Clutch » Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:28 pm

I wish my TRU had the humvee when I picked up the Kiowa so i could have killed two birds in one trip.

momaw nadon
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by momaw nadon » Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:33 pm

I like the bbi Kiowa, too and you can't beat the price. If they would have made the rear doors open, we could have made civilain/police model or just a recon version. It will take a bit more to do that now. Other than that a great piece.

One thing I don't care for about it is the pilot. He has the Little Bird pilot helmet with the night vision that is all wrong for the Kiowa Warrior, because the copter is equipment with night and bad weather systems. Which in most cases is better than the night and bad weather system on the Apache. Making it one of the best recon/light attack helicopter we have.
momaw nadon

digger

Kiowa

Post by digger » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:03 pm

Looking at my new Kiowa I fully agree it's another steal for 20 bucks....I wish it was a darker color like the LB, and that those rear doors did open, but really you can't go wrong. And they took a page from the 21C Cobra and the engine door opens. :D

Sgt. Fury
Sergeant
Sergeant

Kiowa in Virginia!

Post by Sgt. Fury » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:16 pm

Kiowa found in Virginia TRU. I hope TRU does not resurrect its habit of increasing the price on items, the second shipment. This is a $24.99 to $29.99 item. To be the same price as the Lil'bird is a steal. All the antennae, hard routing conduits, bump-outs and bulges are there. Translucent red ID light, three different weapons packouts (2-twin stingers with translucent heads, 2-70mm folding-fin rocket barrels, 1-50 cal. machine gun w/ext. ammo box and feed belt mountable on the left side only), 1 pilot with night vision and a cockpit that is detailed down to overhead controls and a red fire extinquisher on the bulkhead wall. As mentioned, two access doors below the rotor expose a highly detailed engine with attached rods and control pieces painted silver. Oversized and fat antennae and fins are gone as scale has finally prevailed. As in real life, only one weapons system or combination thereof, can be mounted (one weapon carrier each side). I had to buy a case of four. 1:18 is getting real exciting.
Last edited by Sgt. Fury on Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:01 pm

I apologize for not being entirely technical, but is the radar/infrared sensor pod atop the BBI Kiowa's main rotor removable, by chance? I haven't seen this in person yet, but will check a local TRU tomorrow or saturday. Thanks for your help!

digger

Yup

Post by digger » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:45 pm

I think it is as it comes detatched. I will let you know if this is not the case when I get home.

momaw nadon
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by momaw nadon » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:12 pm

tmanthegreat,
Yes, it is removable. It comes packaged with it off, so you could just leave it of it you wanted. Plus it has no clips, so if you put it on you can remove it just as easy.
momaw nadon

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:12 pm

Thanks, guys, for your help! Between these posts, I wound up going to the Santa Monica, Ca. TRU today after school and found the BBI Kiowa, answering my own question! Going the five or so miles from UCLA to Santa Monica during rush hour was a bad idea and I spent more time waiting for and riding the bus, but the incredibly long trip was worth it.

The TRU also had the new Hummer and an assortment of various BBI figures. Its dissappointing as that particular store is closing - it was a small, but traditionally nicely laid out TRU, with excellent staff. Everything else there had to have been discounted, save the BBI!

The other reviews on this helo are certainly accurate. I like the interchangeable armaments and the highly detailed cockpit. Like the F-16 and P-51, BBI has included numerous warning labels and other details on this piece. The opening engine is a very nice addition and looks much better than that on the XD Supercobra. The engine makes me wonder what BBI would have been capable of doing if the P-51 had had the opening engine as first stated. A great addition to BBI's modern helicopter lineup!

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:38 am

Here's a little blurb about the current variant of the OH-58 Kiowa, like that which BBI has just produced. I found it on a Russian website, and this part was in English. There were also some nice pictures of the Kiowa, and BBI's version is spot on!

The latest Bell OH-58D is the result of a 1981 proposal by the US Army for a scout helicopter capable of working alongside the AH-64 Apache. This would include working in the forward battle area, being capable of designating targets by laser for the Apache's Hellfire missiles, close combat aerial reconnaissance and intelligence gathering plus artillery spotting. The OH-58D resulted from the Army Helicopter Improvement Program (AHIP). The result for Bell was the first flight in October 1983 of their OH-58D. The new OH-58 was fitted with the new four-blade composite rotors developed by Bell and a mast-mounted sight. A more powerful 650shp Allison 250-C30R turboshaft engine was fitted and also cockpit multi-function displays. The mast-mounted sight allows the helicopter to stay out of sight and gives added protection in forward areas. The sight contains 12 x magnification TV camera, auto-focusing infra-red thermal imaging sensor and laser range finder/designator, automatic target tracking and in-flight bore sighting. In the scout role the OH-58D can be equipped with Stinger missiles for air-to-air combat. The OH-58D has a maximum speed of 230kph and a range of 495km.

In May 1984 Bell developed the Model 406CS (Combat Scout). This increased the capability of the OH-58D and provided a quick change weapons package. Designed as a force multiplyer, the 406CS can accept any of the roof-mounted sights in production or under development, with growth provisions for laser target designation, FLIR and video thermal tracker. Bell is also under contract with the US Government for an all-composite airframe program (ACAP) which will lead to expanded use of composite materials for all Bell helicopters, including future scout helicopters. The power-plant fitted to the 406CS is the Allison 250-C30 turboshaft developing 650shp with built-in particle separation system fitted to a 510shp transmission with elastomeric vibration isolation, fail-safe four-point mounting and a thirty minute run dry capability.

Here's the link to the site:

http://avia.russian.ee/vertigo/bell_warrior-r.html

wolf8564
Sergeant
Sergeant

No bbi Kiowas in Atl,Ga.

Post by wolf8564 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:39 pm

:( No kiowas here in Atlanta yet. I've been to 4 Atlanta area TRUs and not one bloody kiowa! I'm defenately buying 2 when they finally get here.

WGP Klaus
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Finally located!

Post by WGP Klaus » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:20 pm

checked these very same stores yesterday and nothing, decided I'd try the same stores today as they weren't really out of my way and lucked out. Found 4 ea. of the OH-58 "Kiowa" and the new Humvee at the Columbia Md TRU (Dobin Road) and the Catonsville Md TRU (Rt 40 West), left two at each store. Hoping to come across the 21st Marines sometime in the near future..lol

HTH

markecho
Sergeant
Sergeant

Super Humvee short review and pics

Post by markecho » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:03 am

hi all,
got the Kiowa and S Humvee this week and got some pics of the S Humvee up. Im surprised no one has reviewed it yet cuz it is a really nice piece. check out the details here, i could tell you about it, but a pic is worth....blah, blah....(the recoiless is till in the box and not pictured)
http://community.webshots.com/album/141216219KdoJGw/2
only thing i cant figure out is that it comes with a crossbar and the four front posts of the roll bars can come loose but the back 2 are glued..so i guess it's for you customizing guys. so that option is there.
my only "negative" is that i wish the paint was like 21stC - a kind of matte paint. it still has the plastic color similar to the other BBI armor pieces.
the back 2 doors are a little flimsy but seem like they won't break. also...we need more gas cans - 21st hummer only comes with 1 and this doesn't come with any :( ...Build-O-Rama to the resque?? hint hint ;)
one thing that is kinda hard to see in the pics is that the back 2 seats are removable/adjustable - cool detail but at the feet of the back 2 seat, the bottom is cut out. i guess for feet placement - that's kinda tacky. also the roof is removable as is the front grill..and yes the front grill fits on the 21st hummer..but it sits too high over the hood..which is weird considering the vehicles are modeled after the same thing.
BBI is trying to work in the details but some of the small markings are stickers - not like 21st hummer where they are painted on.
new articulation on the figure...seems better than the other BBI figures and btw the figure would make an excellent carded SF guy.:)
all in all this hummer is great! I'm really happy with the purchase. just wish I could have waited 6 months and buy it for like $8 when it goes on clearance.

sku # on S Hummer
0 21105 21288 4
It is the dang toy companies that have sometimes made me want to stop collecting toys!!!