What are the pro and the cons of the 1:18 stuka?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
VMF115
Officer - Brigadier General

What are the pro and the cons of the 1:18 stuka?

Post by VMF115 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:44 pm

I am getting my first Stuka from Kamikaze (S-1) and would like to know what to do and not to do with it.

I know welcome to a few years ago

I also read some where here that the Gunners MG is prone to breaking, what can I do to prevent this?

Also could I get some detailed pics of the cockpit and other areas of interest that you like about this model.

tmanthegreat

CAREFUL: LOTS OF PICS!!

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:45 am

Here's some pictures :D Although I have the S1 Stuka, I have it stored away at the moment, so have taken detail shots of my "Tropical" Stuka. The planes are identical, save for the paintscheme. This is actually still one of my favorite XD planes - it is big and well detailed, but there are some points where the model leaves a little to be desired. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves :wink:

S5 "Tropical" Stuka.

Crew Station Detail: Note the gunner "holding" the MG, as well as the gun's ball mount.

Cockpit Closeup: Note the painted dials, rudder pedals and the floor window.

Cockpit Closeup: Note the seat, control stick and throdle assembly details.

MG Station Detail: Note the gun detail, with trigger grip, ammo clip and spent shell bag; stowed ammo cans are also seen below.

MG Station Detail: Note the gunner's seat, radio, wiring details, ammo cans, and box.

Aircraft Underside: Note the ordinance, hardpoints, landing gear, bomb racks, dive breaks, and flaps.

Crew Detail: Note also the landing gear, dive siren, bomb rack and gun camera/landing light.
(The pilot figure has a different leg piece added with the flares).

The MG assembly is fragile, however the only part I ever had break was when the spent casing "bag" came off. It was easily reglued. If there is something you want to customize, you may want to tackle the flaps to make them appear more correct, and perhaps add a gunsight in the cockpit and the armor behind the pilot's seat. Take a look at the 32x Stuka's cockpit and flaps for inspiration :wink: The wings are also difficult to get on the Stuka, and nearly impossible to get off, so once they're on, they're on. Because of the wing design, it is one of the most sturdy XD aircraft!

I hope all this helps and enjoy your plane :D
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:44 am

The only problem I have had with the stuka is with the rubber wing machine guns. My sons rabbit chewed them off :shock: :!: :!: :!:
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

exether_mega
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by exether_mega » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:34 am

I got mine from Digger and I am realy happy to have it. It's a well made airplane with an impressive look and lots of fine details. A must to have in a collection.

phil

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:20 am

The Stukas are really a cool looking plane. I have a white and green one.
Word of caution on getting the wings on the plane - push hard and don't expect to get the wings back off the plane once they are on.
There is a whole thread on getting the Stukas wings on.
Because there a one way tabs that keep the planes on really tight make it a bear to get on but even more difficult to get off.

Don't worry, it is the true test of a REAL 1/18 scale collector to get a Stuka's wing on! 8)
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:31 am

I have the winter Stuka, and always felt it was the most "fragile" of my XD planes. But, a few weeks ago, it took a direct hit from a falling piece of plywood, and only suffered a slightly separated frame and a repairable broken windshield. So, I now give it more respect.
Sometimes, the mind needs a shovel, rather than a pencil and paper, to express itself.

exether_mega
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by exether_mega » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:55 am

Some pics of mine. Wings are not sniped on (my wife don't want to see a Stuka diving from the ceiling :cry: )

phil

warhawker
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by warhawker » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:59 am

I 2nd the notion of dont expect the wings to come off after you put them in. I have the S1 version and have moved three times since I had it. It was always a bear figuring out the best way to transport/store it. On the other hand it is a sturdy plane. Have had it dropped a few times off a shelf with no damage.

Spudkopf
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Spudkopf » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:28 am

I went dug up my S1 (customised) images, the main drawbacks with the S1 are as follows:

The fuselage crosses (BalkenKreuz) are staggered on each side of the fuselage when they should actually be not directly opposite each other, this with the use of the PC rotated cross instead of a swastika (HakenKreuz) on the rudder and the fact that my S1 was also very heavily (overly) weathered with silver paint were all good reasons for me to customise my Stuka.

Apart from the missing armour/rollover cage and the flaps/ailerons problems mentioned above there is also another minor issue in that the dive breaks when deployed hit the wing bombs (something which I'm still thinking about fixing).

But despite all the Stuka's problems it was my first 1/18th purchase and the model is still one fine piece that is one of my favourites, I'm sure you will enjoy yours, I know I do mine.

First up the initial repaint after the 21stCT markings where sanded off, I also later removed the wing crosses.

......and then after the new decals were applied

SPUD

Something's up with photobucket?????

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:57 am

Thank you guys for the input and the great pictures.

I allso have one more question what are the paint codes for the S-1?

MIGMADMAVIS
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by MIGMADMAVIS » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:22 pm

Does anyone know of an online retailer that sells the all green S-1 version???? From the pictures posted it look awesome!! and one thing I love about the 1/18 Stuka is the overall bulk of it!, and also the cockpit detail is awesome. One thing I do not really like about it is the dive brakes have no gap between the wing like the 32x one, and also the rubber machine guns on the wings. But It is overall is an awesome plane!!!
Great Traders List:

hworth18
raiderad16
razor17019
momaw nadon
jmd250
kimtheredxd

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:20 pm

First off I would like to blame every one here, it is all your fault that I have to get a Stuka... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A stupid question but does the dive siren’s work if you set them in front of a fan or leaf blower?
Also does any one know what the S-1 paint codes are?

MIGMADMAVIS
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by MIGMADMAVIS » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:24 pm

I can answer your first question, but not the second, yes they do work if you put the dive sirens in front of a fan, or a heavy wind, they spin, but they dont neccesarily replicate the sound, its pretty cool. :lol: :lol:
Great Traders List:

hworth18
raiderad16
razor17019
momaw nadon
jmd250
kimtheredxd

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:43 am

i was going to hang my Stuka off my balcony. I thought it would look cool to look from behind it, down at the ground and it would too. But i thought better of it after considering the effects of the elements, insects and that i may get arrested for having a nazi plane hanging from my balcony. So now i just go out there and hold it over my balcony and look down (when nobody's looking).

I thought i might try dangling it from a fishing pole sometime......as a sort of hands free, temporary display (again, when nobody's looking).

I'd like to put some 1/18 targets on the ground and then hold my stuka over my balcony. I'm several floors up, so the scale effect would be about perfect.

It's one of my favourite xd birds. Highly recommended.

:)
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Post by tko211 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:38 am

The XD stuka is an older mold. But considering it is the only 1:18 Stuka on the market you HAVE to get one! It is still a nice bird and the mold has aged gracefully in my opinion. (un-like the old P-51D mold that was way too toyish to start)

My favorite might just be my Winter Stuka... Just because I hardly see that one anymore and it's kinda stands out being all white! They also look better when the correct tail markings are applied! :wink:

tko211

Post by tko211 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:39 am

Quote:

The only problem I have had with the stuka is with the rubber wing machine guns. My sons rabbit chewed them off

I know that might not be funny to you... but being that it is easter time I find it most humerous!

-TKO

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:31 pm

tko211 wrote:Quote:

The only problem I have had with the stuka is with the rubber wing machine guns. My sons rabbit chewed them off

I know that might not be funny to you... but being that it is easter time I find it most humerous!

-TKO
I actually think that it was funny to. But at the time the humor was a little thin. By the way our bunny's name was Snuggles.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:19 pm

tko211 wrote:Quote:

-TKO
LOL I have a cat that likes to chew and push my stuff on to the floor, To prevent the cat knocking them onto the floor I made some custom chalk blocks to prevent my cats chewing the propellers I put some bitter apple on them. Or I just hang them.

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:01 pm

The Stuka should be here tomorrow :D

scbvideoboy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by scbvideoboy » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:02 pm

VMF115 wrote:First off I would like to blame every one here, it is all your fault that I have to get a Stuka... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A stupid question but does the dive siren’s work if you set them in front of a fan or leaf blower?
Also does any one know what the S-1 paint codes are?
Ha ha, just what happened to me in the off topic thread about SW vehicles, after everybody was talking about their cool stuff... I was "forced" to go on ebay and buy it all!

DH

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:20 pm

Just trying to get caught up before all the really cool stuff comes out this year, all I need now is a P-47 bubble and razor back, a Me-109e a Bbi p-51 and another Bbi F-4u "daisy june"

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:39 am

Well I got my S-1 Stuka from kamikaze yesterday and it was in MIB well I broke one of the props when I was trying to attach the wing, oh well I fixed it and good as new.

One thing to note I can remove and reattach the wings at will its that easy, at least for mine.

Overall at great model. Thanks Mark!!!!!!!

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:44 am

Here are my Stukas ... just hangin' out.

Jeff

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:24 am

Panther F:

What's the white one that you have - is that the winter version? Sure looks great!

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:59 am

Yes! I just never put the rudder decal on.

I need to do that! :lol:

Jeff