Too much Luftwaffe on the shelves?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Island Raider
Private First Class
Private First Class

Too much Luftwaffe on the shelves?

Post by Island Raider » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:00 pm

This question could go in both the 1/32 and 1/18 forums but I'm putting it here since I've noticed it in both scales. I've noticed the past several years that most of my Walmarts only have German aircraft (and tanks for that matter) on their shelves and rarely any American planes. I've always considered that odd till this past Christmas. One of my local Wallys got a bunch of 1/32 planes in and it was a combination of American, British and German aircraft. Of course the American planes sold right away along with a few British planes, leaving behind the German planes. Right now that Walamart is loaded with only German aircraft and they are not moving.

I realize there are collectors out there that collect the German planes and tanks and I'm not trying to stiff them out of any collectibles. But I was wondering why does 21st Century keep sending out so many German planes when the majority of the selling models are of American aircraft? It just seem that logically, since most of us are in America, that they would send out more Corsairs and Mustangs, etc. to the american public.

Also along these lines I've noticed 21st Century's model line recently. The only ones Walmart near me has received has been the Japanese and Italian aircraft. Once again no American planes. And guess what? They aren't selling, what a suprise!

Is 21st Century shooting themselves in the foot with their case assortments? Are they failing to realize the market? Or is it simply they've sent so many cases of mixed planes that the pegwarmers are clogging the shelves and preventing more of the easily sellable American planes from reaching the sales floor?

I am only writng this out of concern for 21st Century and my ability to buy their product from Walmart. If the planes don't sell then Walmart won't refill their orders. If they don't refill their orders I can't get the planes I like, except to pay a lot more online at an e-tailer, especially with shipping.

Mike

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:25 pm

Because for some reason.....german stuff sell.

You think they've won the war or something...or even deserved to. :roll:

Moth
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Moth » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:27 pm

Did you read what he said GooglyDoogly?

He said German aircraft does NOT sell :wink:
[img39]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/QueenofSky/BirdFlu.gif[/img39] [img39]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1b/Acherontia_lachesis.jpg/200px-Acherontia_lachesis.jpg[/img39]

tkjaer21
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by tkjaer21 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:30 pm

As nice of a plane as it really is, I can almost always expect a FW190 on the shelves over anything when I look for 1:18 XD in Wal-Mart.

vmf214
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by vmf214 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:35 pm

My area the 32x stuff sells quickly regardless of type of plane and/or armor. The 1/18 stuff moves pretty good with only acceptions to the now antique 190's that some of the stores here have left, the Avenger fiasco, and now the apparant NK Mig fiasco with most stores in my area having way too many. Other than that everything moves pretty good around here.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:00 pm

I don't think that American stuff sells better they just make more German stuff . 2 or 3 to 1. :shock:
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:24 pm

well the thing is - they did sell - as a result the area WM managers decided to by more of the same planes - well everybody in that area already bought the plane and the new ones sit.

collect dust....

I just picked up a Me 109 night fighter for $15.00
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.

der Vogelfänger
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Re: Too much Luftwaffe on the shelves?

Post by der Vogelfänger » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:51 pm

Island Raider wrote:This question could go in both the 1/32 and 1/18 forums but I'm putting it here since I've noticed it in both scales. I've noticed the past several years that most of my Walmarts only have German aircraft (and tanks for that matter) on their shelves and rarely any American planes. I've always considered that odd till this past Christmas. One of my local Wallys got a bunch of 1/32 planes in and it was a combination of American, British and German aircraft. Of course the American planes sold right away along with a few British planes, leaving behind the German planes. Right now that Walamart is loaded with only German aircraft and they are not moving.

I realize there are collectors out there that collect the German planes and tanks and I'm not trying to stiff them out of any collectibles. But I was wondering why does 21st Century keep sending out so many German planes when the majority of the selling models are of American aircraft? It just seem that logically, since most of us are in America, that they would send out more Corsairs and Mustangs, etc. to the american public.

Also along these lines I've noticed 21st Century's model line recently. The only ones Walmart near me has received has been the Japanese and Italian aircraft. Once again no American planes. And guess what? They aren't selling, what a suprise!

Is 21st Century shooting themselves in the foot with their case assortments? Are they failing to realize the market? Or is it simply they've sent so many cases of mixed planes that the pegwarmers are clogging the shelves and preventing more of the easily sellable American planes from reaching the sales floor?

I am only writng this out of concern for 21st Century and my ability to buy their product from Walmart. If the planes don't sell then Walmart won't refill their orders. If they don't refill their orders I can't get the planes I like, except to pay a lot more online at an e-tailer, especially with shipping.

Mike
There might be a very logical explaination for the Luftwaffe "stuff" being left on shelves: The general public shops WM, Mom or Dad with Johnny or Susie (man, you can tell what era I grew up in :oops: ) in tow.....Johnny beggggggs for an airplane, the family takes a look and what a surprise, they purchase American. Let's face it, the typical shopper is not a fan of any particular Air Force nor are they really educated as to what to look for, thus the American airplanes seem to go first.

Having talked to a WM Toy Department Manager a few weeks ago, she thought that the paint "job" on the Luftwaffe airplanes were just random patterns which the "artists" dream up to use for show. Wow...I had to hold on to my shopping cart before keeling over...this gave me a glimpse of what the folks with no passion for what all of US on this forum hold dear are really thinking.

All of the above is purely my opinion, espoused by me alone. I really do not feel that the people are shunning the Luftwaffe or Waffen offerings other than by lack of understanding/knowledge of what they are looking at.

dV
du doch nicht!
Kennst du mich noch?
Luftwaffe-a-holic!!!

Unsere Mannschaft muß einfach gewinnen, und
plötzlich, Weltmeister Zwanzigvierzehn! (WM2014)

Danke Jungs!!

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:35 pm

I do agree with the general premise that there are alot of Luftwaffe aircraft on the WM shelves. While I really like the German aircraft and their interesting cammo patterns, 21c does have alot out there and even more so with the armor. The Luftwaffe planes sat around for ages in my area and did not go anywhere until they were severely discounted. I can also see how the general public would be turned off by the paintschemes. We collectors find them cool, but to alot of people, the plane looks like a little kid painted it... Perhaps its time to hold back and get a few more US or British planes out on the market :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:53 pm

Moth wrote:Did you read what he said GooglyDoogly?

He said German aircraft does NOT sell :wink:
I was talking in more general terms. Because he's speaking only from his personal experience and what he sees in the walmarts in his area.

Here, German stuff sells faster than American planes.

And the same is true most of the time. That's why it's more likely you'll see a rare, hardly known panzer model, than a...let's say, FIREFLY, or a 76mm Sherman.

That's why 21st has more German models/toys. Because they know they sell better.

As for why, I'll never know.

And I think that after seeing 21st's success in the last few years, despite of you seeing lotsa german stuff hanging around in your local walmarts, 21st MUST be making money, right? :D

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:50 pm

Aside from the FW-190s, The German stuff sells better here as well. The last two Mustangs released sat on the shelves forever! There were also good number of Corsairs. Don't get me wrong, I really love my American and British planes. I just don't want to ever get to the point that 12" GI Joes did in the Seventies ( all American and (NO BAD GUYS). That truely sucked on multiple levels. It is one of the main reasons why I like XD.

Mark
I'm a legend in my own mind.

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:19 pm

Everyone knows the Germans had the pimped out gear! Now I'm going to smack myself for saying pimped out. Ouch!
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

Moth
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Moth » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:08 pm

Nein!
I hate chrome!

You get a shovel to the head from me!

:lol:
[img39]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/QueenofSky/BirdFlu.gif[/img39] [img39]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1b/Acherontia_lachesis.jpg/200px-Acherontia_lachesis.jpg[/img39]

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:33 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: I can see it now, Pimp My Panzer!

luftpanzer

Post by luftpanzer » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:16 am

You know everything in my AO sells off the shelvs except the 190s. We are flooded with them. It could also be the ethnic make up of the nieghbor hood also. Not to sound racist, But If your in a heavely populated Jewish area I dont think any German stuff is going to sell well. Remember they threaten to boycot TRS for selling (nazi toys)
Back At ft campbell KY Formally of Ocala FL

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:00 am

There is a Wal-Mart in La place (west of N. O.) that has had 2 Fw -190's forever and nothing else. Maybe a few figures. I was there one day and had a chance to see the head of the toy dept. I asked her when are these going on sale and when are you going to get new stuff? Her reply was never. When these planes sell at full price I will get more and only then. :roll: So those 2 190's are stuck in the XD wasteland with no rescue in sight :?
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Light.Inf.Scout

Post by Light.Inf.Scout » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:46 am

Yeah - while there can never be too much luftwaffe on the shelves -lol- my Walmart has several me 109 1/32 scale planes that have been sitting there for weeks and a Motorwerks FW 190 for full price that has been there God knows how long. Yet, I never saw Avengers or the 1/32 German trucks or a bunch of other stuff.

der Vogelfänger
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by der Vogelfänger » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:23 pm

Rowsdower wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: I can see it now, Pimp My Panzer!
That is greatttttttttt :D :D .

German Engineering in the Haussssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!

dV :wink:

But, of coarse, the Panzer would have to have a VW stamped SOMEWHERE on it!! Yeowwwwwwwwww. 8)
du doch nicht!
Kennst du mich noch?
Luftwaffe-a-holic!!!

Unsere Mannschaft muß einfach gewinnen, und
plötzlich, Weltmeister Zwanzigvierzehn! (WM2014)

Danke Jungs!!

Moth
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Moth » Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:08 pm

"German Engineering in the Haussssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!"

Remember those VW V-Dub commercials? :lol:
Those were so stupid/funny

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:54 pm

der Vogelfänger wrote:
Rowsdower wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: I can see it now, Pimp My Panzer!
That is greatttttttttt :D :D .

German Engineering in the Haussssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!

dV :wink:
Exactly what I was thinking of lol. :lol: :lol:

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:19 am

Yeah, I'm waiting for the lingering Stukas to clear the shelves so I can hopefully get the first F-86/ Mig-15s in the area :? .

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

MG-42

Post by MG-42 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:38 am

lol :lol: you guys. "Pimp my Panzer" and lots of German engineering in the hausssssssssssss ! ... hilarious ,... lets just get stupid instead and forget about all the Luftwaffe "in da' haussssssssss". :lol:
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *