A (not completely) untapped 1:18 niche

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
tpa05
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

A (not completely) untapped 1:18 niche

Post by tpa05 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:04 am

It looks like the "dogfights" have begun regarding the big three (or at least two of them for sure). Anyway, as I've said in other posts, there's a niche that seems to be untapped and thats the guys who gotta fly all of these new birds.

Yea, I know 21c makes a series of pilots but (IMHO) they could be a whole lot better. The 109 pilot looks like a robot, the stuka gunner looks like he's about to throw up and the funniest of all is the P-47 pilot. The expression on his face looks like he just realized he shot down his own wingman. If any pilot needed a O2 mask it's him.

The jet guys didn't get any better. Look at the mig pilot. 'nuf said.

For pilots, the one I rely on is the BBI helicopter pilot however he too needs a facemask as he looks like he's looking for his mom. Can't use the 21c facemasks as they're already used to cover-up the comical look on their faces. Also, regarding the BBI versions, the first thing that's done is pull off the head and then glue it back on as it's commin' off eventually anyway (most last about 2 weeks tops before I'm under the couch looking for his head).

So again to the big three, there are alot of planes commin' down the pike real soon. If ya make and sell figures, can you (1) include some carded items that look a little better than what's offered today and (2) offer a variety of WWII and Jet pilots as both types will be made available pretty soon.

tkjaer21
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by tkjaer21 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:45 pm

It would be awesome to have a Famous ACE series of pilots. This line up would detail the history and picture of their AC on the carded back. I know that that would likely sell to everyone. They should make it for all eras including both planes and helos.

chunks
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by chunks » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:53 pm

21c announced at one time the "Legends Series" of higher quality a/c with specific pilots. Boyington was the last mention. I wonder what happened?
Tanks for the memories
Your breachblocks so black
And oodles of track
Here at Grafenwoehr it's so good to be back
Oh, tanks for the memories..

Grilledcheese
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Grilledcheese » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:01 pm

Hee hee. Nice descriptions, tpa05. I took a fresh look at a couple of my pilots after reading your post and had a good laugh. Thanks!

Jeffrey (the other one)
Now I have a machine gun (SPACE GUN!). Ho ho ho.

coreystinson
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by coreystinson » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:29 pm

chunks wrote:21c announced at one time the "Legends Series" of higher quality a/c with specific pilots. Boyington was the last mention. I wonder what happened?
I suspect that 21st was not clearing their existing inventory of Corsair's fast enough, then along come BBI with their's plus it has the folding wings which I am sure even further slowed down 21st Century's sales of their Corsair. Project has been on the back-burner ever since then (with no updates). In fact, unless 21st is prepared to retool their Corsair with folding wings I'd suggest not even bothering to release any more.
Corey Stinson
http://smalljoes.com

tpa05
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by tpa05 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:22 pm

I'd be happy with just a couple that didn't look like a deer in the headlights. Nothing special nor one that looked like any individual in particular. Realistic (and not looking either sea sick or scared to death) would be good enough for me.

Tinman
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Tinman » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:28 pm

tpa05:

Only one point I would disagree with you on - I think the bbi WWII pilots are very well done. If the were available carded then I'd have them in some of the other companies' planes too.

tpa05
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by tpa05 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:47 pm

Yup, you're correct with regard to the bbi pilots that are included along with the aircraft. Again, we need carded pilots, for both older and newer aircraft, that look better than what's available today.

Thanks for the input Tinman.

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:52 pm

Grilledcheese wrote:Hee hee. Nice descriptions, tpa05. I took a fresh look at a couple of my pilots after reading your post and had a good laugh. Thanks!

Jeffrey (the other one)
LOL...My P-38 pilot looks like he’s constipated.
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:29 pm

This is funny - I didn't even know the 21st corsair's wings did not fold - :?

good thing I never bought one - idabeen a bit upset.
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:33 pm

STUKA wrote:This is funny - I didn't even know the 21st corsair's wings did not fold - :?

good thing I never bought one - idabeen a bit upset.
I thought they did :?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

Fitzystigertank
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Fitzystigertank » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:40 pm

yes the 21st century corsairs wings folded. it was a bad design which broke after folding them a few times.
speaking of bad faces, look at the BBI Sherman tank commander. is he having a bad day or what?? I call him Gary after my dad cause my dad yells alot. I have to agree about the BBI WWII plane pilots, they are pretty nice in detail. i esp. like that he can have his pilot hat on when he's out of the plane.

tkjaer21
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by tkjaer21 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:08 am

IMO, BBI makes the best figures of the 3 companies in terms of detail and accessories by far. The Corsair pilot is a must get and the P-51 pilot is awesome too.

sarge
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by sarge » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:37 am

tkjaer21 wrote:IMO, BBI makes the best figures of the 3 companies in terms of detail and accessories by far. The Corsair pilot is a must get and the P-51 pilot is awesome too.
I haven't seen any BBI Pilots or figures in this area,where are they avaialble? 21C need to loosen theirs up a little so they can be more poseable. I have to heat and cut to get what I want. Sarge

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:50 pm

sarge:

So far you have to buy the bbi plane to get the pilot. Wish you could just get them carded, but not at this time.

sarge
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by sarge » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:30 pm

Tinman wrote:sarge:

So far you have to buy the bbi plane to get the pilot. Wish you could just get them carded, but not at this time.
Thanks it figures :x Sarge