Sagging Avenger wing problem

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Rowsdower
Officer - Brigadier General

Sagging Avenger wing problem

Post by Rowsdower » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:27 pm

Since I got my Avenger right after Christmas it has beem sitting on the center shelf of my desk and I have noticed the outer wings have a bit of a droop to them. I figure this must be normal given the weight of the wing but if anyone else has this problem, is there any way to reinforce them? I mean it isn't drastic but I am concerned it might get worse over time.

And don't say fold the wings! :P
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:28 pm

My Atlantic Avenger has the sagging wings and I think it may be a common condition, especially with the "2nd Run" Atlantic Avengers, which seem to have slightly messed up wings - at least the few that I've seen boxed. I tried to reinforce the wings on my Avenger using a little wooden dowell weged inside and pushing up on the wing with only partial success. The sagging problem stemms partly from the hinge mechanism being put together too loosely. Also, if the little tabs on the inside of the wing were longer and more robust, it might hold the wing in position better.

The real aircraft obviously doesn't have the wing sagging problem thanks to its hydraulic system :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

JohnLumley
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by JohnLumley » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:47 pm

I concur with tmanthegreat.

My first run Wal-Mart Atlantic Avenger with the missing screw plugs has a tight wing hinge and there is no sag with the wings extended.

My second run Atlantic avenger (the one with screw plugs and pitot tube pre installed) has hinge joints that are not as tight. The wings have a noticeable sag when viewed from the front.

I am pondering ideas on how to create a straight wing without disabling the ability to fold to the stowed position.
One hundred and fifty three - 1:18 scale aircraft on the ceiling looks :shock: damn good!

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:51 am

i have the non screw plug avenger and i thought the wings were sagging at first but after closer inspection, they're not. It's an optical illusion.

21c made the wings very flat, whereas the real Avenger has a noticable dihedral outboard of the wing fold joint. I suspect 21c had to do without this dihedral in order to simplify the wing fold mechanism.

Because the wing is very thick at the root and tapers alot towards the wingtip it creates the apperance of a wing sag because the underside is in shadow and the top side is illuminated so all you notice is the downward taper of the top wing. As i said, it's an optical illusion that it sags.

It is possible that the second run of Avengers really do sag, i'm not sure as i don't have one of those. The only way i could think of fixing it would be to krazy glue it but then it won't fold any more.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:06 am

I have the Atlantic Scheme Avenger with the screw plugs and I also noticed the wing sag as well so I keep them folded. The only way to fix them is to super glue them and that may solve the problem but I refuse to do that. She's was to damn expensive to do that so I keep them folded.

:)
"You dont know the power of the darkside, it is your destiny" Lord Vader.

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:04 am

Thanks for the input guys. Upon closer inspection I think TMan is right about the hinges and tabs. Oh well, it's still my favorite 1:18 aircraft saggy wings or not! 8)

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:23 am

i wonder if the new Flight 19 Avengers have the same wing sag problem. I hope 21c is listening...
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:45 am

My Flight 19 Avenger does not seem to have the sagging wing problem. The wings are flat, but not as droopy as on my "fixed" Atlantic Avenger.

The Old Man
Private First Class
Private First Class

TBF Wing Sag

Post by The Old Man » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:39 pm

Got the same condition with 2 different units.
Yes, the wings are a tad fat. Yes, there is a slight optical illusion due to the wing slats - BUT - due to the weight - they sag.
My solution was to find the correct thickness of strip quarter inch plastic, cut a half inch piece, 2 per wing, extend the wings, spread the bottom at the fold line, insert the 2 strips ( one towards the leading edge, one towards the trailing edge), bingo - wings at an accetable angle. Remove when you fold the wings. Course if you are "flying" the plane around you'll notice but it just sits there fat dumb and happy - nobody knows - except you.

Also have to alter the "spread" of the gear but that's no big thing.
Great plane.
Neil Hesse

tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Post by tko211 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:06 pm

I have a 2nd edition Atlantic with screw covers, and I have opened 3 of the Flight 19 beasts and none of mine seem to have a problem. As others have mentioned mine sit quite flat without any sag.

Rowsdower

Re: TBF Wing Sag

Post by Rowsdower » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:28 pm

The Old Man wrote:Course if you are "flying" the plane around you'll notice but it just sits there fat dumb and happy - nobody knows - except you.
But I'm not "flying" my plane around, I'm uh, testing it!:roll: :P

I will have to try Old Man's plastic strip idea. :idea:

Grilledcheese
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Grilledcheese » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:52 pm

I also noticed the wing sag on my Avenger when I assembled it, and I found a really quick and easy fix:
Clear packing tape. I pushed the top front wing halves snugly together (like I'm guessing they were supposed to fit) and then put a short piece of tape across the joint (see pics).
The tape I used was cheap Scotch brand, and it worked great. It's been a couple of weeks and the wings are still look level with no sag.
Now, I don't know what the tape will do to the paint job, but I can live with it.

Hope this helps,

Jeffrey (the other one)
Now I have a machine gun (SPACE GUN!). Ho ho ho.

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:28 pm

Grilledcheese wrote:I also noticed the wing sag on my Avenger when I assembled it, and I found a really quick and easy fix:
Clear packing tape.
Hmm, interesting idea. Since I can't see the tops of the wings with it way up on the top shelf that might work out. I don't think it would harm the paint but mabe replace it every few months or so to keep the adhesive fresh. Maybe take a little of the tack off by sticking the piece to some glass a few times. 8)

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:42 pm

Hmm... building on the tape idea, you may be able to stick tape inside the wing in the interior space exposed by the little fold-down panel just aft of the main gears. One could potentially get the tape up in that space and then shut the hatch, hiding it. I think it may be worth a shot!

JohnLumley
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by JohnLumley » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:31 pm

Excellent idea grilledcheese!

I hang mine from the ceiling which means I would not see the top of the wing anyway.

Two gold stars for you. :wink:
One hundred and fifty three - 1:18 scale aircraft on the ceiling looks :shock: damn good!

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:45 am

That also sounds like a good idea Tman. I will attempt both when I have the time. 8)

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:29 pm

I got my Flight 19 Avenger in today, and I tell you one of the wings sags really bad. I don't understand it. I have one of the atlantic avengers without the screw covers, and its wings are really tight. They snap into place and show no sag at all. This new one has a large gap, and wing does not snap back at all. It is only with the left wing, the right wing is fine. Looks like I will display it with the wings folded. This is really bad, and I wish I knew why these Avengers are having this wing problem. :evil:
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

Black_Dragon_One

sag wing

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:19 am

I know why!!!!!!

when the avenger was made in china... i came and visted the company and sat on some boxes sorry guy.... :shock: or did the sag wing ferry did.. who knows

i have not gotten the courage to take mine out of the box... so i try it this weekend....
whats up doc....

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:20 am

has any one trying to adjust the screw hole to see if that might work..
whats up doc....