Ho 229 and V-1

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
pickelhaube
Officer - Brigadier General

Ho 229 and V-1

Post by pickelhaube » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:18 am

Hey Guys, My mind is always constantly thinking of new projects. Too bad I can't finish the old ones. Some one else said that he would like the Horten 229 flying wing. This has always been one of my favorites . The wing never flew. That all depends on who is telling the story. When the G I's found it, the wings were off and the main body with it's tubular frame exposed were found in a hangar/warehouse. What would be more desirerable ? The main body only without wings or a complete aircraft ? In my opinon it should be without the wings.
Now the V-1 buzz bomb. The missile itself could stand alone (or fly) you could hang it on the ceiling and have one of the striped Spits trying to chase it. Unless somebody builds a Tempist. HMMM. Anyway. The launching ramp for the V-1 would be a very long ramp. I am not sure of the measurements but I think that it was a bout 250' long . I will have to go back to one of my books on that. But in 1/18 scale that will be about 166" long so it should be made shorter for pracicality. My question is, should the bomb and ramp be a pair or should they each be there own inity?
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

luftpanzer

Post by luftpanzer » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:40 am

Actualy I think the Horten flying wing did a test flight and flew within 50 miles of NYC before turning back. :shock:
Back At ft campbell KY Formally of Ocala FL

Gunner
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Gunner » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:44 am

I don't see why the V-1 couldn't be done on it's own, or with just a short section of launch rail...

There is a paper model of one out there somewhere. I've thought about scaling it up to 1/18, but I've never gotten around to it.

I even wrote the original creator and asked him, since he had the original graphics, if he would consider doing it, since he could retain the detail better, but he wasn't interested.
- - - - - - - - -
All of us have skeletons in the closet. Only some of us have bodies in the freezer, though...

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:35 am

luftpanzer wrote:Actualy I think the Horten flying wing did a test flight and flew within 50 miles of NYC before turning back. :shock:
No, it didn't. Horten was developing an Amerikabomber, but it only reached the design stage and was not produced. The HO 229 Flying wing was, however, test flown in December of 1944 and achieved a speed of 500 mph; with expectations for higher speeds. This was a fighter-sized aircraft, powered by two Junkers-Jumo turbojets.

http://www.warbirdforum.com/horten.htm
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:07 am

you can find wood, desktop models of the V1 fairly easily on Ebay, if you keep looking. Most of them are 1/20 scale, which is reasonably close to XD size. I snagged one for $20 last year, so there are bargains to be had. Looks very nice and the fact that it's made from wood is not a problem at all, as there is no clear canopy etc to worry about. I have mine buzzing along the ceiling, with a little flame coming out the tail. :)
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

V1

Post by Folkwulfe » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:14 pm

Funny how like minds think alike.....A couple of weeks ago, I started collecting research materials for the "Ohka" bomb used by the Japanese. Problem is, I'm looking to scratch a 1/6th scale model for a BBI "Sakai" pilot figure. Bit on the large side, but simple and doable for sure. There were piloted versions of the V-1 as well. Hmmmm....the mind churns!
US Army MP Corps combat veteran Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Panzer_M

Post by Panzer_M » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:41 pm

luftpanzer wrote:Actualy I think the Horten flying wing did a test flight and flew within 50 miles of NYC before turning back. :shock:
nope. Nazifanboy rumor

luftpanzer

Post by luftpanzer » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:42 pm

Then it was the Amerika bomber. Saw it on the history channel, just got the planes mixed up.
Back At ft campbell KY Formally of Ocala FL

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:13 pm

the only german plane that got that close to New York was a Blohm and Voss 222 flying boat. It was doing something with Uboats, some sort of experiment with resupply or something.

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Folkwulfe » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:36 pm

There is an interesting article in the Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkers_Ju_390 if you are so inclined. The aircraft in question was one of the prototype Ju 390 B/C maritime bomber version. Alot of claims both for and against this mission being factual....I guess the jury is still out. For details, refer to the above article and decide for yourselves.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:07 pm

So, on the Ho 229 wich would be more desirable for display? The winged version or mid section only ?

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Horton 229 V3

Post by Folkwulfe » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:15 pm

The V2 varient flew (and crashed) and the V3 was supposed to be over 75% complete (including wings) when captured. The wings were later seperated from the fuselage and only the center section made it to Silver Hill in 1950 after touring England after the war. Either way would be historically accurate, however, being a puritanist at heart, I'd go for the full (with wings) version. Alot of pictures are out there of the center section only....be nice to see the completed (or near completed) aircraft in all her glory.

normandy

Horton flying Wing

Post by normandy » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:35 pm

If any company makes the 229 (21st BBI ect...) I would hope they'd make the complete aircraft, what would be the point otherwise?
As for the V-1 I don't feel we need a launching ramp in 1/18th, lets just get the "buzz bomb" made. At some time after that anyone could do a custom if they wanted to do a dio.
Anyhow I for one would like to see both.

momaw nadon
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by momaw nadon » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:35 pm

The other cool fact about the 229 is that it was the grandfather of stealth. Horten discovered that the way the engines sat in the plane and the rounded edges that the plane they test flown was harded to track by radar than other jet planes.

It was never said, but I believe the 229 was the base for the B2. Even the plans for the XVIIIb Amerikabomber looks very simular in many ways, IMO anyway.

Would be could to have them in 1/18th scale. I would dig a V2 too.
momaw nadon

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:08 am

I have a V-2 in 1/35 scale that rascal is about 15 1/2 " tall. A 1/18 scale V-2 would be about 30" tall !!!! That's a big rocket Paw Paw !!!

Moth
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Moth » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:02 am

I love all "Flying Wings", the 229 looks great and I love the placement of the turbines. The huge front wheel kind-of kills it for me though, looks so out of proportion. :?
[img39]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/QueenofSky/BirdFlu.gif[/img39] [img39]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1b/Acherontia_lachesis.jpg/200px-Acherontia_lachesis.jpg[/img39]

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:41 am

Estes made a 1/16 V-2 that was 33 inches tall. You can find them on Ebay from time to time. It's quite nice, if a tad overscale.