21st Messerschmitt 109E question

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Grilledcheese
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

21st Messerschmitt 109E question

Post by Grilledcheese » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:06 pm

Okay, I know this has been covered before, so I'll apologize in advance, but after searching old topics I decided that asking this question again might be better---well, easier anyway. (At the least, everybody gets one more chance to show their knowledge).
I just picked up a 21st Me 109E-4(nightfighter). How accurate is this particular model? Comparing it with actual photos and three-views, right away the cockpit canopy looks out of whack--it seems to sit too high at the front, a couple of the lites toward the rear are painted in the wrong place, another on top appears to be missing (I remember reading about some of this on the forum), and obviously too much of the thing opens. The landing gear looks goofy when open, too, and not just in the way that the 21st G-model gear opens too far. These look twisted outwards.
Don't get me wrong, I'll take slightly innacurate 1/18 over NO 1/18 any day. I just would like to have a list of what I should fix (or should even attempt to).
Am I seeing all this right so far, and what else am I missing?

Jeffrey (the other one)
Now I have a machine gun (SPACE GUN!). Ho ho ho.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:36 pm

the 109E was the first plane to come out in XD (along with the first P-51) and as such leaves a bit to be desired in the accuracy department.

The biggest problems with it are the vertical stabilizer (tailfin) is the wrong shape being to short and blunt, the whole plane has a 'chubby' apperance instead of the lean look of the 109 and the canopy framing is funky and over simplified. The canopy also doesn't open like it should as the rear portion opens with the center portion instead of being seperate.

There are also a bunch of other smaller errors, some of which you pointed out.

All that said, i still like it and it looks nice, particularily when displayed 'in flight'. One of my most favourite planes is the desert camo 109E.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Grilledcheese
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Grilledcheese » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:04 pm

Thanks for the info.
I originally started buying 21st's 1/18 aircraft to try using them as models from which to do illustrations. While many of them have an innacuracy here and there, I must admit the size and quality can't be beat for the price. A little research is all that's needed to correct any problems, although I'm sure I still miss a few.

Here an illustration I did with the first Stuka I purchased a couple of years ago:
Image is copyrighted. Please ask permission before any use or reproduction.
Now I have a machine gun (SPACE GUN!). Ho ho ho.

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:04 am

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Wow, you are good! And I thought I was a good artist. Thanks for sharing.

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]