POST PANZER IV FINDS AND DISCUSSION HERE

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

POST PANZER IV FINDS AND DISCUSSION HERE

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:35 pm

Went to check my local Hobbytown USA store today and they had the new Panzer IV tanks!! There were four, 3 now. Now for the product description and pictures have been posted to my website under the "XD Panzer IV" folder.

All in all, this is a good, detailed tank, but it still doesn't compare with the Tiger, M-41, and the Halftracks! The tank is, naturally, smaller than the Tiger and has excellent exterior detail with lots of tools and other pieces that can be removed. Most hatches open - they are the driver, gunner, front hatches, both turret side hatches, commander hatch, and storage hatch. The treads roll easily and the turret and gun move smoothly. Schurtzen are included on the turret and their mounts are on the side, but no side schurtzen. A new gunmount for the commander's MG has been devised and is sturdy. The hull is diecast with plastic turret, hatches, and accessories. The vehicle is heavy. The figures are the German winter tankers, with uniforms "turned inside out" and they look good.

There is dissapointingly no interior detail - the figures must stand in the hatches :( . The engine compartments do not open either. It would seem that 21c based their 1:18 Panzer IV off their 32x version as the 32x vehicles usually lack these features... No interior, in my opinion, kind of stinks and I guess it was a cost saving measure?

:!: A product warning: It seems that these tanks have not been packaged well, or that there was a lack of quality control on the part of 21c with these vehicles. I bought one at Hobbytown, then exchanged it an hour later. My first tank had a shattered main gun barrel, and was missing the commander's hatch and the schurtzen mounts were warped (see picture of the boxed tank on website). I exchanged my first tank for an intact one, but noted that of the other tanks at the store, all had some sort of damage, primairly to the main gun, which was usually split. (One tank had a rubber band around the end of the gun for a repair, added by the manufacturer!) These were defects on the part of 21st Century and not the retailer as all the boxes were sealed. The Hobbytown store may have only recieved a bad batch of tanks, however, watch out for these problems :!:

Can't wait to hear what you others have to say about the Panzer IV!
Last edited by tmanthegreat on Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:01 pm

So no schurtzen panels then? I sure would of traded in the second figure in for that!!!! Thanks for the photos. I see the one that looks like the muzzle break is broken off.

Boy, what a mixed bag of fortune. No interior, no Schurtzen (?????), QA questionable, and yet we have a Mk IV! I guess we get to continue with the good ole' fashion mystery bag of defects. Why include a second figure when you know that it's either that or the schurtzen that is going to be included for cost savings? Historically, you wouldn't see the thing without the panels. Might as well made a MKIVF2 then......... I thought we were past this...............

-Ski

ps Of course I will get a couple, but it doesn'nt mean I have to like it, hehehehehehe
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:42 pm

No interior or engine is VERY surprising to me given that most of their earlier tanks had these. I hope that doesn't hurt sales.

And what is going on with the quality control all of a sudden?? Most P-47's have had problems and now a batch of panzer IV's. This had better be a short term hiccup at the factory or soon none of the retailers will want to carry 21c stuff.

Personally the lack of an interior does not upset me that much. Some day i plan to pose a full crew inside a tank and i was going to use the Tiger I for this. I really don't need every tank to have an interior. That said, for the price they are charging, they had better bloody well give some value. BBI's Sherman sell for $30-$35 at online retailers whereas the Panzer IV is $50+ and the Sherman comes with a nice little engine and detail and quality are excellent. The one extra figure 21c included does not make up for all the drawbacks. Sideskirts were a MUST. Should have been some weathering on it too..

I'm thrilled that armour is making a comeback but it won't last long unless people get value for the money they spend. So come on 21c, do the job right!

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:51 pm

Here's a beatiful model i found on Missing Lynx of a Pz IV with turret skirts and hull skirt brackets but no skirts.

http://www.missing-lynx.com/gallery/german/sdpz4j-3.jpg

Still say the skirts should have been included so we have the option...

digger

Etailers should sell pristine pieces, WM can sell $12 ones

Post by digger » Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:51 pm

There are plenty of real photos of the H without the side skirts - this is not that out of the ordinary. I too would have wanted them, but it is not "unrealistic" per se.

The lack of interior hurts :cry: . This was THE thing that made the Tiger stand out as one of the greatest toys....ever. Not only do I think that it will hurt sales, but it will also undermine their attempt to "launch" back into armor. Perhaps worst of all is that they can't use the hull for future variants!! I thought that would be the plan, and would allow for so many more vehicles on one master hull.

Lastly, the WM effect. It has been said before in other industries that WM's emphasis on low cost effects product, and it is clearly happening hear. I did not want to say this about the P-47 b/c I've never seen one, BUT the M113 falls apart in your hands (don't mention the figures), the paint on the Tigers chips, the new P-47s are flawed, and now QC warning signs with the Panzer :( .

I still got a few on the way and have no regrets, but BCA better not send me shoddy tanks... :twisted:

hworth18

Re: No Go at my Hobbytown

Post by hworth18 » Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:12 pm

little iodine 1 wrote:I called the nearest HobbyTown USA, they never heard of 21st or their products & advised they had no idea how to order anything. Of course this sounded like a 17yr old kid, but still, I was hoping to get one ordered. Who knows if they'll ever show up at WM :evil:
LI1
Yes, My local HobbytownUSA is finally getting the Dragon stuff in, but that's about it.. No 21st or anything... :cry:
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:18 pm

My particular Hobbytown only carries 21st Century, BBI, FOV, and Dragon products as there is an employee there that has established contacts with 21c and the other companies and so carries their products.

buzzard
Corporal
Corporal

Post by buzzard » Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:59 am

Speaking of interiors, do the Winter Tigers & Panthers come with these? Also, any word on Pz IV repaints yet & the interval between them & 1st releases? Thanx!

digger

xd tanks

Post by digger » Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:36 am

All the Tigers have the interior, none of the Panthers do. I'm starting to think the interior would have been tough with a tank so much smaller than the Tiger, and this might be a reason why we didn't get one with Panzer IV.
I bet there will be repaint but I'm sure it won't be like planes where you'll have your choice of 5 in 2 weeks.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:59 am

I think the omission of the interior and engine detail is simply a cost saving measure on the part of 21st as no interior makes the vehicle easier to manufacture. This tank is very similar in size to the M-41 tank and the M113 APC, and is larger than the US and German Halftracks. All of those vehicles have a full interior and engine detail.

I think the Panzer IV may have been a rushed concept, and for ease, 21st based their design off their 1:32 panzer. On the flip side, remember that we have seen prototypes for the M113 months and years ahead of when they were actually released, meaning that 21st had time to perfect the design. The Panzer IV was only revealed a couple of months ago and was then suddenly released! Rushing production would explain the cost saving measures and perhaps the lack of quality control.

ltcbj

The Panther doesn't

Post by ltcbj » Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:12 pm

have an interior either. The engine? I'd have to go into the basement to check (cause I can't recall) and it's cold down there tonight.
"The only constant is change. Often short change. Learn to accept.": Noah Vaile www.dinosaur-toys-collectors-guide.com
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c315/photbug/image6.jpg[/img]
On your mark! Get set! Lunch....
Want your own website? PM me!

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:01 am

Looking carefully on the bottom of my Panzer IV today, I noticed that instead of saying "21st Century Toys 2004" on the bottom, it said "New Melinium Toys 2004"! And this tank came in a 21st box! Guess NMT is an affiliate of 21st (perhaps one and the same) and produces the diecast vehicles. Any other ideas?

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:06 am

Yes, they're essentially the same company.

KWR190
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by KWR190 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:01 pm

Ok I got my Panzer today it is in great shape from BCT my ? is the barrel looks like it is on side ways from all the pics that i have seen the muzzle break is pointing up and down instead of left to right. If you have douts about getting this tank dont it is great.
Kurt

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:11 pm

if the muzzle break points up and down the barrel is indeed on sideways. How easy to fix is this? Boy i hope these QC issues go away soon.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:58 pm

Post by Mr. Football:

"Will Wal-Mart carry the new 21st Panzer IV? Are they slated to get any? Has anyone seen them at WM yet?"

KWR190
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by KWR190 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:36 pm

Ok after looking at it the barrel is two pieces so i pry it apart and twisted the muzzle break it looks good now it just didnt look right with all my tanks when i first saw it now it fits right in.
Kurt

chesy
Corporal
Corporal

Post by chesy » Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:35 pm

....I pre-ordered that Mark IV from SBP 2 weeks ago and now it's getting some luke warm reviews at best. Next time I'll wait until it ships and do some homework before I mail order. I hope I'm not too disappointed when it shows up.

lablksmith
Sergeant
Sergeant

Me too, Oh me too Sara...

Post by lablksmith » Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:29 pm

:shock: Yea me too, glad I only ordered one. Hope BBI picks up the slack on all these. Hope 21st gets the message. Been with em a long time now.

kimtheredxd
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by kimtheredxd » Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:51 pm

I think i am going to wait for the second round of these as the QC is just not there it seems.Please Please let the TBF be 21st best ever thing they have done!!!!! :!:

M4Sherman
Corporal
Corporal

Post by M4Sherman » Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:29 pm

I had high hopes for this vehicle, but I think I'm going to wait until the QC is improved. (Knowing myself I'll wind up ordering one or two anyway :D ) I hope we can see an improved version,(i.e. repaints or different versions of the vehicle) or maybe BBi can make one.

Joe

P.S. for anyone who needs them I have gathered some reference photos of the Panzer IV they are in my site.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:37 pm

some great reference photos there (the first one is a Pz III though ;) )

M4Sherman
Corporal
Corporal

Post by M4Sherman » Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:57 pm

opps your right taken care of

Joe

chesy
Corporal
Corporal

Post by chesy » Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:49 pm

...does anyone know if the German Hanomag is going to be reissued? I'm new to the 1/18 world and just picked up the Tiger I at a Wal Mart... my only regret is that its in Panzer Gray and not the summer camo. Just pre ordered the Mk IV and while browsing the others I can see the Halftrack is a must-have... there is reference to them being on back order but it's been that way for months. Anyone have any insight?