Panzer IV Schurtzen Armor Kit!

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:43 am

interesting idea.

I would say make them from metal as it would be pretty easy to bend and dent thin metal to look realistic. The only drawback of metal is that it doesn't hold the paint as well.

I would also say make the individual pieces of schurtzen rather than one long skirt per side. That way they can be easily mixed and matched and some omited if desired to creat a variety of different looks. How would they be attatched? Glued or clips?

If you are planning to offer them painted i would say offer an unpainted option as well for those who wish to customize.

Price: $10 unpainted, $20 painted.

:)

KWR190
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by KWR190 » Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:02 am

I would buy a set. I also would like to see them metal also.
Kurt

mondaytanker
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by mondaytanker » Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:03 am

There is a good chance I am wrong. But I think the side armor was omitted from the photo in order to show the detail of the tank. I have come to this conclusion because the armor is around the turret and the brackets to support the armor on the side are there. If 21C didn't want to include the armor they could have chosen an older version to offer.

Just my 2 cents
Mondaytanker

5ohsinker
Sergeant
Sergeant

Count me in

Post by 5ohsinker » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:02 am

I'd buy a set of the metal, painted if they are offered.

immeww2
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by immeww2 » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:22 am

I would prefer the metal ones too, but I like Aferg's idea of attaching each plate separately so we can vary the look. :D

Rogo
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Rogo » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:23 pm

I would go for either metal or plastic, prepainted to match the tank. I also like the idea of individual plates. I would go up to $15 for a set.

I also thought that 21C omitted the plates to show detail. But, after seeing the picture of the Panzer IV, in it's box, on ebay, I'm now thinking they may not be included. Although they may be hidden somewhere in the box. Guess we'll find out soon!

Thanks Centone for offering to make these. Very cool. 8)

Rogo

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:26 pm

Centone, I would definitely buy a set. Whatever you feel is reasonable. But, my painting skills are non-existent so I would prefer them pre-painted to match. :wink:
:wink:
VR,

Andy

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:58 pm

mondaytanker wrote:There is a good chance I am wrong. But I think the side armor was omitted from the photo in order to show the detail of the tank. I have come to this conclusion because the armor is around the turret and the brackets to support the armor on the side are there. If 21C didn't want to include the armor they could have chosen an older version to offer.

Just my 2 cents
Mondaytanker
Check my post in the new Panzer IV thread - the side skirts weren't included in the finished product, though their mounts are there :( Thus Cetone's idead to make an aftermarket schurtzen kit is a great idea and should market well :D

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:35 pm

I would definitely go for a set of side panels. Would prefer prepainted, un-weathered plastic. Just want to be able to attach those babies and go.

Would be willing to pay $20-$25.

red69charger
Sergeant
Sergeant

Side panels

Post by red69charger » Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:05 pm

I would also be interested in at least one set (and probably more). I would prefer metal but styrene would be fine.

Speaking from personnal experience doing aftermarket stuff for 21st, it will likely be difficult to get a good paint match with the rest of the vehicle. This was the problem I had in offering pre-painted 76mm Sherman turrets. To really look right, the whole vehicle had to painted as one. I may be wrong, but I am guessing that the base yellow on the Pz. IV is not painted on but the actual molded plastic. Getting paint to match not just the color but the same sheen of molded plastic is tough. I never did figure it out. If you do go this route I wish you luck.

Personally I think I'd rather have the pieces unpainted but I would buy them painted as well. I'd be willing to shell out up to $20 for styrene but more for metal. Good luck and please keep us posted :D

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:49 pm

Great idea Centone.

Put me down for a set, painted and whichever material you end up using.

I'm sure it will look great.

Thanks,

TTT

"The one and only Charlie B. from the Isle of Staten"
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:52 am

Sounds great to me! I would keep the attachment simple by sticking with hangers that you simply slip the plates onto the rail. You can add me to the list!

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

red69charger
Sergeant
Sergeant

Still on the table?

Post by red69charger » Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:17 am

With the recent news from 21st that the repaints will have schurzen (I'll believe it when I see it) are you still planning on doing these centone? I for one still interested in them!

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:14 pm

were any ever completed? sorry for bringing this up - but Id be interested - I have been playing with the idea of making one.
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.

Spudkopf
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Spudkopf » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:22 pm

G'day Centone

I would also be interested, either metal or plastic would be fine, but my preference would be for seperate pieces like aferguson said.

Keep us informed with your progress.
SPUD

Something's up with photobucket?????

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:27 pm

I had the same idea about a year ago before they came out with the overseas version of the panzer. I have the templates and paint matched by a computer. I had a squadron signal book and enlarged the profile to get the template. I even worked out a deal with Bad Cat to market the skirts. You can call them to confirm this. But I never went all the way through with it. I was going to make mine out of plastic and scored them so that they could be snaped apart if you wanted to display them that way. But it took to much time to make considering that the money they would have sold for.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:04 pm

i can't believe someone dug up this old thread..

anyway, i don't think they were ever finished because it was announced that a repaint version of the PIV would have sideskirts. The first was the Euro exclusive one, but there have been no North American releases subsequently that have them. I suspect an r/c version will eventually come out with them, if not just an out and out repaint with them. I'm quite surprised it hasn't happened yet, actually.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

chunks
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by chunks » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:09 pm

Has anyone considered something similar for the panther? The 1/16 folks are doing it for their scale.
Tanks for the memories
Your breachblocks so black
And oodles of track
Here at Grafenwoehr it's so good to be back
Oh, tanks for the memories..

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:16 pm

pickelhaube wrote:I had the same idea about a year ago before they came out with the overseas version of the panzer. I have the templates and paint matched by a computer. I had a squadron signal book and enlarged the profile to get the template. I even worked out a deal with Bad Cat to market the skirts. You can call them to confirm this. But I never went all the way through with it. I was going to make mine out of plastic and scored them so that they could be snaped apart if you wanted to display them that way. But it took to much time to make considering that the money they would have sold for.
tell us more about what was involved - price - etc.
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:55 am

Retail was to be about $20. My price to them about $13 to $15. The masters took about 3hrs to make. Scoreing the panels took about 1hr. Glue the hangers took about 1hr. Paint took another hour. I figured that when I went into production I could cut the time down to 1hr 15 min. Thats about $12 an hour . I make more than that at work. So I just made a few of them for myself and did not even bother to send the master copy to Bad Cat. I just let the matter dry up and blow away.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

red69charger
Sergeant
Sergeant

Panther panels

Post by red69charger » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:00 pm

At one time I made and sold resin Panther skirts. The were scored so you could break them up any way you wished to simulate missing in action skirts. I can't even remember what I sold them for but $15 probably wasn't too far off. I sold a few of them on this board a few years back.

Here's a link to a pic of them on my custom 1/18 Jagdpanther.
http://news.webshots.com/photo/11027590 ... 5585kxyoxn

The mold for the skirts is now MIA ... having been lost in a series a moves made by the guy who helped with the mold making. I'd still love to see somebody make the Mk IV skirts. When I get more time I might make some of my own if nobody else does. I did make some for my 1/15 StuG IV Bandai kit (along with the rails which do not come with the kit either). Here's a pic of them.

http://news.webshots.com/photo/27629022 ... 5585KzKcGS

TOOL
Sergeant
Sergeant

Question

Post by TOOL » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:42 pm

Redcharger
Great looking customs!!! What materials do you use for the customization of the XD vehicles? I would love to do some conversions like you have done.

Also what is your technique for painting the vehicles.....airbrush....patterns..ect.

Awesome stuff!!

red69charger
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by red69charger » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:02 pm

Thanks TOOL. I mostly use Evergreen styrene sheet and brass tubing purchased at my local hobby shop. They make a wide variety of shapes and thicknesses. Here's a link to their website:

http://www.evergreenscalemodels.com/

Like many other customizers on this board I just find a good blueprint style drawing or use a smaller scale model and just scale it up. Draw the lines on the styrene and cut. I've found a Dremel tool quite handy for use with the brass. Its not too difficult but it does take time. I'd encourage you to give it a try if you have any interest. Start by customizing something small and work your way up.

As far as paint schemes are concerned I usually get my ideas out of books. I then use an air brush free hand to try to copy what I see.
Hope this helps.