1:18 Scale Trains and Ships

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
mrkisskissbangbang
Corporal
Corporal

1:18 Scale Trains and Ships

Post by mrkisskissbangbang » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:58 pm

Since many of us have been purchasing G-scale items to suppliment our dioramas. Wouldn't it be great if someone produced a train in 1:18 scale? The company could still utilize the track systems and motors. Just produce to scale the engine/cab to scale. Has anyone seen the movie "The Train" starring Burt Lancaster? I'd like an armored train similar to that one.

I'm currently working on plans for a Schwerer Panzerspahwagen (Kommandowagen) and other rail cars. A nice little project for the up coming winter.

On another note, I'd love to get some ships/boats in scale. Is there anything out there?

Cheers!

Morian Miner
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Morian Miner » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:09 pm

The best thing for us 1:18er would be if "F" scale takes off. This is 1:20.3 trains with standard rail spacing (56 1/2" wide). This would only be about 10% undersized, but really its not that noticeable. So from that point of view, you already have an option. Unless you are a train junkie, you only need a couple cars. And honestly, train cars and equipment is not the hardest things to build, if you only need a couple of cars for a dioramma (especially a bombed out French boxcars burned to the frame).

Have yet to find a good 1/18 scale boat.
Sometimes, the mind needs a shovel, rather than a pencil and paper, to express itself.

MG-42

1:18 RxR

Post by MG-42 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:14 pm

>>> Buddy-L is about as close to 1:18 but they are expensive. They go for "high dollar" on :evil: eviLBay :evil: ... Made originally in the 20's and then done some reproductions of them in the 90's. Their flat-car for example is 22" x 6-1/2" inches. >>>> Big enough for at least a Sherman and a jeep or Kübel and a Hanomag. ..... I know because a fellow "board-member" friend of mine just won one off "eviLBay" for a little over $125.00 and his was just one of their reproductions. :wink: + 8)
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

chunks
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by chunks » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:29 pm

Sounds like he got a deal, check this out!!!

http://www.buddyktoys.com/

MG-42

1:18 RxR

Post by MG-42 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:08 am

=X=X=X= <<<:shock:>>> ... "Dayum" ... I guess he did get a deal then. =X=X=X=X=X=X= Thanks for the link "chunks". :wink:
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:42 am

Interesting thing about that old Buddy L stuff is the gauge is slightly over what it needs to be - which might be close to what Russian rail gauge is.
Sometimes, the mind needs a shovel, rather than a pencil and paper, to express itself.

Panzer_M

Post by Panzer_M » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:24 am

LGB fits well with the Era of DR/ReichBahn of the 40-60s.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:54 am

Dumas makes a 1/20 scale PT boat r/c model. It's pretty nice. 10% undersized but probably as close as you'll ever get to 1/18. You can find them on Ebay from time to time, often built up, for around $350-$500.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

luftpanzer

Post by luftpanzer » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:11 pm

I know this 1/18 but since you are talking trains you just gota see this
http://www.onesixthcollectors.co.uk/clu ... php?t=3989
Back At ft campbell KY Formally of Ocala FL

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:41 pm

Panzer_M wrote:LGB fits well with the Era of DR/ReichBahn of the 40-60s.
I have that same model LGB engine except in green and red and sans tender. Got it for Christmas '84. I used to use it with GI Joes! :lol: I will have to get it out out have a little Von Ryan's express! :P
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:43 pm

This engine here started out as one of those red and green LGB engines. The biggest thing to do to make it work out with 1/18 is upsize the cab.

viewtopic.php?t=5247

Usually you can pick up one of these guys fairly reasonable (once found them for $45 new and didn't get them :cry: ). I can say they are some bloody fine locomotives - extremely durable.

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:58 pm

One more thought on what trains are compatible with 1/18 - there are alot of considerations. If you look at one of Kevrut's posts in Customs and Mods, Buddy L is probably your best bet for modeling standard gauge or the Russian wide gage. But, watch out for Buddy L released in recent years. I beleive that is made for G-scale track.

Using standard G-scale track, you could model a narrow-gage moving railroad equipment . In the early days, the USATC operated the White Pass and Yukon in Alaska (36" gage). There is alot of 1:20.3 equipment usable for WP&Y. Also, the Bachman 45 tonner is the right size for a 1:20.3 USATC loco which saw action in the ETO (I'm currently rebuilding one right now - will post pics some day when its back together :roll: )

Drop down to O-scale track - this represents 2-foot gauge track which was used inside the Maginot line and served the trenches in some parts of Europe during WWI. These were also used quite a bit in Britian, especially by the Ministry of Defense in the RAF underground bunkers. Again, another project I'm working on.

Lastly, if you really want bizarre, there was an armored train built on one super narrow gage in England. I have the page bookmarked at home. To model this, you would have to use S-scale track.

And this doesn't touch on rail lines used in Africa, Asia, or even better - during the Vietnam War (the French built some armored boxcars and the US used for a while some self-propelled armored cars nickname "Wickham trolleys")

mrkisskissbangbang
Corporal
Corporal

Post by mrkisskissbangbang » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:37 am

Thanks for all the fabulous input! Especially about the trains.

I do have an LGB locomotive that needs the cab to be enlarged to fit 1:18 scale figures. Also new paint job and a few more modifications as I bought mine used and it's missing parts. I also have some LGB rolling stock (flat car and tanker) which look great. Unfortunately the flat car is only wide enough for smaller vehicles (Kublewagen). Although, I think having some Pak 40s on there would be great, whenever I get a hold of any.

I liked the Buddy L trains, but HOLY MOLEY! That's way off the budget. I'll make due with what I have.

As for ships/boats. I did some searching... the Dumas ones were quite nice. Couldn't find a PT Boat. I did find some Chap Mei Soldier Force and WingSang Police boats. They look very toyish but have some potential. Now where to find them locally?
I also found a Playmobil cargo ship. Not bad looking, but once again toyish looking and of need modifications. Judging by its size, it may be used as a river/canal ship. I think I'm going to get one.

Cheers

Panzer_M

Post by Panzer_M » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:18 pm

In Germany, there is a lot of Narrow gauge at the time of WWII, When the State took control of most of the tracks it went to standard, but alot of the minor spurs kept/ and still are narrow gauge.

mrkisskissbangbang
Corporal
Corporal

Post by mrkisskissbangbang » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:25 pm

The Dollar Stores here are a bust. They do carry some figures but not anything as big as the vehicles.

There use to be some vehicle collections at Zellers a short while back. But none of the new stuff. Hopefully some new things will come out for Christmas.

That's a sweet looking Floating Command Center you have there.

I was recently thinking of building a WW2 British Sea Fort with some PVC tubing I had laying around the house. The only problem would be, once it is built. I'd have no armament for it. I'd need a Bofors and some Lewis Guns.

I guess the only option for ships is to build one yourself.

Cheers