collecting different 1:18 figures

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Popeye
Corporal
Corporal

collecting different 1:18 figures

Post by Popeye » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:00 pm

So far I've only been buying 1:18 XD figs from 21st century. I don't see other 1:18 military figures from other companies because military figs were never big up here in Canada accept for when TRU had XD figs for a year. I don't know anyone locally who collects any military toys, so I never get any hands-on on any stuff accept for when it arives at my door after ordering it online. I've had to keep going to Ebay to continue my collection after TRU stopped carrying XD. Can you guys give me tips for better ways for getting my XD? Buying XD on Ebay is very pricey.

I have had no exposure to other military 1:18 lines of figures. Can you guys tell me about BBI and Dragon and other companies? I'd really like to know the pros and cons of the other 1:18 products and also which figures from other companies go well with XD figs.

7thva_hunter
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by 7thva_hunter » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:09 pm

Dragon 18 figs are vary nice.
XD aholic

Morian Miner
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Morian Miner » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:25 pm

BBi and recent 21C are my prefered figures. Each have a few nitpiks, but for the most part are excellant. Considering the price of figs now days, they are a bargain for $5.

Chap Mei are "interesting". More useable for customizing fodder due to oversized hands and wierd poses. But, they are diverse in their subjects (pirates, jungle, knights, etc).

PTE does some generic modern figures. These are about the best articulated figures in 1/18, and you can't beat the price (3 for $4 at Macfrugals lately). But, they are very plain. Also, lots of generic accesories.

Dragon is good if you can still find them. I only have a few. I consider them more along the Macfarlane line of more statues than action figures - not as articulated. But, if you are doing diorammas rather than "playing" or posing, they are a good choice since they look real nice.

Then there is GI Joes - no explanation needed.

normandy

Post by normandy » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:34 pm

Popeye, it seems that 21st is in the lead in the 1 1/8th scale military market...BBI has some product as well but Dragon has had nothing new for a long time.
We have members from this board in Canada as well as our Moderator.... Aferguson. If I can help with your collecting let me know.
Normandy.

digger

1/18

Post by digger » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:30 pm

If you collect 1:18 scale figures than you need bbi figures. I'm sorry for posting these pics for the umpteenth time, but recent elite force offerings are just outstanding. Below you can see a variety of bbi & Dragon Action 18. In a couple of photos bbi meets Action 18, and in another Dragon meets XD. The last photo has 101st AB from all 3 companies next to each other for comparison (heads are all bbi).
Half the fun imo is swapping weapons, heads, limbs, gear, etc..and you are just selling your collection short if you don't branch out! :P
The bbi WWII guys are at BCA and I think RaiderAd can help you with them as well. Can't go wrong!

Popeye
Corporal
Corporal

Re: 1/18

Post by Popeye » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:53 pm

digger wrote:If you collect 1:18 scale figures than you need bbi figures. I'm sorry for posting these pics for the umpteenth time, but recent elite force offerings are just outstanding. Below you can see a variety of bbi & Dragon Action 18. In a couple of photos bbi meets Action 18, and in another Dragon meets XD. The last photo has 101st AB from all 3 companies next to each other for comparison (heads are all bbi).
Half the fun imo is swapping weapons, heads, limbs, gear, etc..and you are just selling your collection short if you don't branch out! :P
The bbi WWII guys are at BCA and I think RaiderAd can help you with them as well. Can't go wrong!

Who is RaiderAD?

does BBI make PTE? Where can I get reviews and checklists for BBI, and other 1:18 figures from other companies that are worth getting? I will stay away from Dragon because I like articulation.

Popeye
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Popeye » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:56 pm

normandy wrote:Popeye, it seems that 21st is in the lead in the 1 1/8th scale military market...BBI has some product as well but Dragon has had nothing new for a long time.
We have members from this board in Canada as well as our Moderator.... Aferguson. If I can help with your collecting let me know.
Normandy.
How can you help me? I sure could use all the help I can get with 1:18 figs right now.
:)

digger

figs

Post by digger » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:15 am

The bbi WWII guys without chutes are not on their website but you can see good close-ups of each one at SmallJoes.com
That is also a good resource to buy them if they ship internationally (I assume they do). The jump-ready guys (both WWII & modern) are mostly represented on the bbi website.
The new bbi modern are not on the website but include an Army Sniper, a DEVGRU guy with AK, A Nightstalker and Seal with dive gear. These guys have only been at TRU so far (also not on the website) so for them you may need the BST forum. Hope this helps.

normandy

Post by normandy » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:18 pm

Popeye, have you ever checked out Bad Cat?...
http://www.badcataviation.com/avspto.html
I've picked up armor and figures from them, stuff walmarts in my area never sold.

mrkisskissbangbang
Corporal
Corporal

Post by mrkisskissbangbang » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:53 pm

Depending on where you live, could you make a quick incursion over the border to the USA? I plan day trips to the Niagara Falls/Buffalo NY area and check out the Walmarts, Toys 'R' Us, KB Toys and Big Lots.

Most of the trips over have been quite bountiful. Sometimes you get even luckier and find great period die cast metal 1:18 scale vehicles. I found a few Solido Jeeps (Desert SAS version and Canvas Top one). I even found an R/C M-5 Stuart in 1:6 scale in the clearance section.

It can also be hit and miss finding specific items. There was no joy in finding an Avenger on the last trip.

Looking forward to the next visit as hopefully some of the newer XD items will on the shelf. Not too mention the Chap Mei/Soldier Force line and Power Team Elite (they have some nice accessories).

Also, check out "The Corps". I kind of like there little Supply Depot and Command Base. I think the heads to the figures are a little too big to use, but I could be wrong.

Stop by Dollarama, they have some Chap Mei figures that have some potential. Also head over to their Christmas section.....you can find a few items for 1:18 and 1:32 scale. Trees, fences...and other diorama accessories.

Otherwise I rely on E-bay and Bad Cat Aviation for the items I can't find.

Cheers

mrkisskissbangbang
Corporal
Corporal

Post by mrkisskissbangbang » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:56 pm

Opps, I forgot to mention that you can pick up some aircraft at Aviation World in Toronto (it's by the airport). There is also a hobby shop in Scarborough that carries a few items......way too expensive! Can't think of their name right now.

Cheers

Popeye
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Popeye » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:28 pm

Yep I've been checking out badcat, but I think I'll get a better deal with smalljoes, or foxholetoys. For those who have bought from badcat, why did you choose them over the two other stores I've mentioned? Is there something in their shipping, or something I am not seeing?

I have gone to the states tons of times to stay in northern California, but the 2 WMs there and 2, or 3 Targets I went to had no XD.
What is with that?!

This didn't happen to me once, but a few times. Christmas 2004, Spring of 2005 and March of this year. Was I just very unlucky...I thought WM would always have XD.

I was in the Sanfransisco Sacrimento area and somewhere in LA.

Popeye
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Popeye » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:33 pm

I have checked out the BBI figs and they have tons of accessories. They look real cool and I am interested in all their time periods of 1:18 figs. The I've always wanted knights and Roman troops.

How's the overall quality of BBI? Are there any figures, or waves I should just not consider buying because XD made them better? What are the must-haves from BBI?

Is there a checklist for BBI anywhere?

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:54 pm

Popeye wrote:Yep I've been checking out badcat, but I think I'll get a better deal with smalljoes, or foxholetoys. For those who have bought from badcat, why did you choose them over the two other stores I've mentioned? Is there something in their shipping, or something I am not seeing?

I have gone to the states tons of times to stay in northern California, but the 2 WMs there and 2, or 3 Targets I went to had no XD.
What is with that?!

This didn't happen to me once, but a few times. Christmas 2004, Spring of 2005 and March of this year. Was I just very unlucky...I thought WM would always have XD.

I was in the Sanfransisco Sacrimento area and somewhere in LA.
I often shop with Badcat. They were one of the first online retailers I dealt with, and given that they're located only about 150mi north of me, I can get a package in about a day as opposed to three or more from a more distant retailer. They also have some nice preorder prices or sales from time to time. I have also had great dealings with Foxhole toys, and often rely on them when I don't want to pay the Ca Sales tax. Their prices can also be pretty decent!

As for there being nothing in the Ca Wal Marts you visited, perhaps it was a bad time and perhaps the stores simply weren't carrying anything. California often gets new 1:18 releases later than elsewhere in the country (just look at where the Migs and F-86s are tied up). Also Wal Marts in a community can vary tremendously in their selection. One store can have a great XD selection, while the store on the other end of town has next to nothing. You also never know which store will get the new goodies. That, to me, is the most annoying thing about this whole hobby, but one has to live with it.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Popeye
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Popeye » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:53 pm

no the most annoying thing for me is that they're not available here in Canada, and I've only seen U.S troops and no Brits or Russians.

digger

bbi figs

Post by digger » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:37 pm

Popeye wrote:What are the must-haves from BBI?
These 6 guys are must haves IMO. If you have a jump-ready para from the earlier series (more $, more gear), then you don't need the jump ready para in this set, but for $28-30 for the set you can't go wrong. Do not wait, do not pass go..just buy

mrkisskissbangbang
Corporal
Corporal

Post by mrkisskissbangbang » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:11 pm

Currently there are no British or Russian figures/armor. But hopefully in the near future we will see some. I'd love to have Commonwealth troops and equipment for the ETO and North Africa. Not too mention the aircraft.....Hawker Hurricane, Hawker Typhoon and DeHavilland Mosquito.

I've consistently purchased from Bad Cat for the excellent customer service and delivery time. I usually get my packages within 1 week of order it (with exception of the Avenger fiasco). I've dealt with Small Joes too. No problems encountered. Wished they carried Chap Mei Soldier Force ( I like their accessories).

I've never dealt with Foxhole Toys. I guess the one thing I've noticed on E-bay about them, is that they charge too much for certain items.
The German staff cars were priced way too high. I wonder if anyone who had bought them figured to search for them in the 1:18 scale Die Cast Car section? They were more reasonably priced in those areas. It also doesn't cost that much more to find the proper German cross decal to put on the automobiles.

Cheers

mrkisskissbangbang
Corporal
Corporal

Post by mrkisskissbangbang » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:12 pm

Currently there are no British or Russian figures/armor. But hopefully in the near future we will see some. I'd love to have Commonwealth troops and equipment for the ETO and North Africa. Not too mention the aircraft.....Hawker Hurricane, Hawker Typhoon and DeHavilland Mosquito.

I've consistently purchased from Bad Cat for the excellent customer service and delivery time. I usually get my packages within 1 week of order it (with exception of the Avenger fiasco). I've dealt with Small Joes too. No problems encountered. Wished they carried Chap Mei Soldier Force ( I like their accessories).

I've never dealt with Foxhole Toys. I guess the one thing I've noticed on E-bay about them, is that they charge too much for certain items.
The German staff cars were priced way too high. I wonder if anyone who had bought them figured to search for them in the 1:18 scale Die Cast Car section? They were more reasonably priced in those areas. It also doesn't cost that much more to find the proper German cross decal to put on the automobiles.

Cheers

tpa05
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by tpa05 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:11 pm

I went to foxhole toys just a moment ago as I read the post above that suggested that their prices were pretty good. I looked around and you've got to be kidding. I saw the prices for the 21c weapon sets and they're $14 and change. I bought the Russian, British commonwealth and ranger weapons (albiet from Walmart) for $7.69 a piece. Not sure I'll be heading to the website anytime soon.

There are better places by far but I don't want to sound like I'm favoring one over the other. The above was just an observation. You can do the homework for yourself.

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:04 pm

Rgr that, do your homework.

It's pretty common for one online retailer to have an item at an awesome price ($35 Stuka for example) while another has them at or close to full retail price. But it can totally be flip flopped on the next product you look at like figures where the $65 Stuka site has them for $4 a piece, and the $35 Stuka site has them for $5.99 each.
-----------------------------------------------------------
-------- Need a list of everything 1:18? --------
---------- http://www.sshqdb.com
--------------
---- Built by the community, for the community ----
-----------------------------------------------------------

My Store: http://www.battlegroundmodels.com

Popeye
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Popeye » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:27 pm

The reason why I like Foxholetoys is because of the exceptional customer service. He took a lot of time aside to email me and skype me when I had questions about different 1:18 products. I noticed the prices on his site and told him about the certain items on different sites that were being sold for less than what he wanted for them. He was a great guy about it. He said he'd check those sites out and would gladly price match for me if he found those prices to be lower when he checked the sites I had mentioned.