POST PAK 40 & NEW HALFTRACK FINDS AND DISCUSSION HERE!

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Rowsdower
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Rowsdower » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:30 pm

scbvideoboy wrote:I'm just wondering if the guys complaining about the ammo drums have drilled the barrels?

DH
I haven't drilled out the four barrels on the mount yet because I wasn't sure until today that I'd be keeping the piece. I've done so to all of the MGs on my halftracks and tanks and many models before, I never liked the look of flat plastic muzzles.

The drums I would fix myself if they weren't glued on in a way that would probably cause damage if I attempted so. Still, I'm not sure what the correlation between the two is?
Last edited by Rowsdower on Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:52 pm

Oh, yes. It is the rearward facing crank wheel that is missing. I got it from a noted dealer, so I will try to get a part from them. Thanks for your help.

TJ

chunks
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by chunks » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:11 pm

Rowsdower wrote:
scbvideoboy wrote:I'm just wondering if the guys complaining about the ammo drums have drilled the barrels?

DH
I haven't drilled out the four barrels on the mount yet because I wasn't sure until today that I'd be keeping the piece. I've done so to all of the MGs on my halftracks and tanks and many models before, I never liked the look of flat plastic muzzles.

The drums I would fix myself if they weren't glued on in a way that would probably cause damage if I attempted so. Still, I'm not sure what the correlation between the two is?
I think he means if you want accuracy, how much do you do for yourself also. Everyone here has been completely correct in their views. When you buy anything, you want it right. When you don't pay a gazillion bucks for it, what can/are you willing to do to make it right. I'm just jaded enough to never expect anything to be right, so I fall into the second category. I also have yet to find any toy that I can't fix or find a way to fix (if/when I get a roundtoit), if I'm just not that happy with how it appears. For the most part I just don't see going to the effort to make a museum piece out of a toy. I am very happy with what I get, for the price I pay. This allows me to have the extra bucks for the few times I feel the need to change something, and also allows a little more satisfaction once I'm done. I just hope that the manufacturer's don't get complacent and figure they can sluff off in the currant standards.
Tanks for the memories
Your breachblocks so black
And oodles of track
Here at Grafenwoehr it's so good to be back
Oh, tanks for the memories..

chunks
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by chunks » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:13 pm

Oops, I just reread this post and I may have missed a step.

Please take my last post for what it might be worth.
Tanks for the memories
And oodles of track

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:04 pm

well, i just got back from my abbreviated trip to niagra falls. Hit 3 WM's and found: nothing.

I picked up a couple of BoB figures and a repaint hanomag (good ole number 13) and that was it. Saw lots of Starfighters, a couple of ratty looking Avengers, 109's, a few 190's yadda yadda....but nothing of great interest.

Oh, one grey panzer IV with the barrel missing. :roll:

Thanks to good ole 'Ski buddy though i will be getting all three 1/2 tracks and the pak soon. He's gone above and beyond for me on this one. :wink:
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:17 pm

I noticed on the half tracks that the hitch pin is not removeable-therefore one cannot attach the PAK 40 without modification. Has anyone done this or am I missing something?
Thanks,
Todd

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:41 pm

OK, I don't want to be labeled a "complainer" on this board. I guess all I can say is that If I had been able to buy these new pieces at WM for $24 like many of you guys then I probably wouldn't have minded so much, but I had to pay more and don't have the luxury of being able to exchange it at a WM so I guess it was a bit harder to swallow. I have many other 21st and BBI vehicles and this is the first I've had major problems with so please don't think I ask too much of the company or that I am to critical just because of my problems with this vehicle.

I apologize if my remarks seemed disrespecftul or out of place in any way.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:01 pm

one of the functions of these boards is to let people blow of steam when they are, well, steamed, voice criticisms where warranted etc That can't change. Without people complaining and crticizing over the years i doubt we would be enjoying the high level of quality, detail and accuracy we currently do.

It's a fine line but there is criticism/critiquing and then there's nitpicking and being overly fussy. One is positive and can lead to positive change and the other is generally unconstructive and unrealistic. I think comments should be made with consideration of the market these are sold to and the price they are sold at. I've said it many times before, that these things are incredible bargains for the money.....even for twice the money.

I'd be steamed too if i paid a lot of money for one of these and it was flawed due to poor quality control. But these things happen and they will likely keep on happening (until Ralph Nader starts regulating the toy industry anyway).

Sooner or later, if we buy enough of this stuff, we will all get stuck with a lemon or two. And all we can do is make the best of the situation. It's rarely the end of the world, just an annoyance and usually the problem can be solved or tolerated, with time.

In fact, whenever i have something go wrong with one of my projects or discover a flaw with a model etc i use it as an opportunity to rethink the whole thing and maybe come up with something better than i had originally intended. Turning a negative into a positive, as it were....

One example of this is with my first P-38. It had a big glue blob on the clear canopy. Looked terrible and i couldnt' take it back because it was the last one. I was pissed but i eventually realized the glue smudge looked alot like soapy water. So i glossed it up, scratch built a bucket and ground crewman and had him washing off the canopy. Looks pretty nifty and creates a nice point of interest for my display.

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:30 pm

aferguson wrote:one of the functions of these boards is to let people blow of steam when they are, well, steamed, voice criticisms where warranted etc That can't change. Without people complaining and crticizing over the years i doubt we would be enjoying the high level of quality, detail and accuracy we currently do.
Thank you for your reply and I agree with your points. XD truely is amazing for the price no doubt and that is what drew me into XD months ago. The canopy trick sounds great, I have also worked around problems on models in the past.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:55 pm

DocTodd wrote:I noticed on the half tracks that the hitch pin is not removeable-therefore one cannot attach the PAK 40 without modification. Has anyone done this or am I missing something?
Thanks,
Todd
I just sort of slipped the circular end of the hitch on the Pak-40 over the curved top of the pin on the hitch on the Hannomag. Its not 100% accurate, but stays on and allows the cannon to be towed 8)
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

exether_mega
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by exether_mega » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:01 am

well, I don't intend to be labeled as a "complainer" too. My collection of 1:18 models from 21st is increasing and I will keep buying new models as I realy love them.
In this case, I was disapointed because as I live in Europe I had to bought it in the US and pay shipping cost so my M16 cost me 63$. I guess you understand.

As for Rowsdower it's the first time I have problems with a model.

So we can now turn the page and waiting for something to chew :wink:

phil

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by flpickupman » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:41 am

DocTodd wrote:I noticed on the half tracks that the hitch pin is not removeable-therefore one cannot attach the PAK 40 without modification. Has anyone done this or am I missing something?
Thanks,
Todd
I cut a small gap the tow ring on my first PaK. This allowed me to push the ring over the pin.

However, I plan on modifying the halftrack's hitch by cutting out the pin and drilling it out for a removable pin. I'll also need to remove some material from the inside of the hitch. This will create the clearance required for the tow ring to pivot back and forth in the hitch.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it.
-W.C. Fields

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:35 am

exether_mega wrote:So we can now turn the page and waiting for something to chew :wink:
phil
I agree Phil. 8)

And that plan sounds great Flpickupman. I think I will have to get my Dremel out. :twisted:

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by flpickupman » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:47 am

Now, be careful with that Dremel. It's easy to over Dremel-ize. :wink:

I might even have time to work on it tonight. If so, I'll have some pics up tomorrow.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it.
-W.C. Fields

Sgt. Fury
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Sgt. Fury » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:07 pm

Clinton MD Wal*Mart has the new vehicles and grey german "short barrels".

chunks
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by chunks » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:35 pm

From Badcat:

Introducing the Sdkfz. 251/22 Ausf. D with 7.5cm Pak 40 anti tank cannon. It seems that 21st Century Toys just couldn’t resist combining these two awesome products to create this historical variant! The Pak-40 Hanomag will be the fourth and final version of the famous German Halftrack offered by 21st Century Toys.

Their home page says this is the pioneerwagen. The photo the Pak 40 wagon. You see the discription above. I placed my order, (not shown as a pre-order).

I'll let you know what shows up.
Tanks for the memories
And oodles of track

pcb122605
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pcb122605 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:53 pm

Much to may shock and amazement I saw the Pak 40 and new halftracks at the local walmart today. Needless to say, I bought them. I did leave the Stuka Zu Fuss behind, it looks too weird. maybe I'll grab it if it hits clearance.

How did the Stuka zu Fuss work anyway? Did the bombs launch out of the crates somehow?

chunks
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by chunks » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:55 pm

pcb122605 wrote:Much to may shock and amazement I saw the Pak 40 and new halftracks at the local walmart today. Needless to say, I bought them. I did leave the Stuka Zu Fuss behind, it looks too weird. maybe I'll grab it if it hits clearance.

How did the Stuka zu Fuss work anyway? Did the bombs launch out of the crates somehow?
Yeah, the crates were for shipping, launching, and burning for heat in the winter.
Tanks for the memories
And oodles of track

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:20 pm

the zu fuss is the coolest one of the bunch. Those 'bombs' are rockets and they launched one at a time, every second or so, in spectacular fashion. The two fatter rockets contained a napalm like substance. The other four, high explosive. They were roughly the equivelant of the soviet katyusha rocket launchers.

digger

opions are like..

Post by digger » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:22 pm

the zu fuss is the coolest one of the bunch
eh - amongst tastes there shall be no dispute. :wink:

FieroDude

Post by FieroDude » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:40 pm

And maybe, just maybe, someday they will show up in my AO. My folks even reported in from Branson to say they had checked 3 Walmarts and no dice--no XD at all except one Corsair (which would be tempting for squadron building, but...) Sigh... It's getting to be time to call Matt at Bad Cat...
Verraten und verkauft,
zu lange vertröstet zu lange belogen
Verraten und verkauft,
Durch den Dreck und über den Tisch gezogen.
H.R.K 1993

digger

pak 40 hanomag

Post by digger » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:30 pm

Gents, anyone know if this is a pre-order?
http://www.badcataviation.com/gesdkf25hapi.html

chunks
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by chunks » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:34 pm

chunks wrote:From Badcat:

Introducing the Sdkfz. 251/22 Ausf. D with 7.5cm Pak 40 anti tank cannon. It seems that 21st Century Toys just couldn’t resist combining these two awesome products to create this historical variant! The Pak-40 Hanomag will be the fourth and final version of the famous German Halftrack offered by 21st Century Toys.

Their home page says this is the pioneerwagen. The photo the Pak 40 wagon. You see the discription above. I placed my order, (not shown as a pre-order).

I'll let you know what shows up.
I don't think so, at least I placed an order based on that, I'll call 'em in the AM and confirm.
Tanks for the memories
And oodles of track

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:36 pm

hmmm.......it must be but it usually says so. It's odd that it's less than the other halftracks. I bet it gets altered soon..

chunks
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by chunks » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:39 pm

aferguson wrote:hmmm.......it must be but it usually says so. It's odd that it's less than the other halftracks. I bet it gets altered soon..
Yeah, I noticed the price too. But BC has pleasantly surprised me before.
Tanks for the memories
And oodles of track