Has anyone tried Bruder Trucks for 1/18?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Adeleron
Corporal
Corporal

Has anyone tried Bruder Trucks for 1/18?

Post by Adeleron » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:31 am

Has anyone tried using Bruder trucks for 1:18 scale customs?

http://store.yahoo.com/bruder-toys/mbunwitflatt.html

I see they have a variety of Unimog trucks online - I'm not sure what the scale is?

I'm wondering if they would work well with BBI and XD?

Regards,

Ryan
Howdy

Morian Miner
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Morian Miner » Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:09 pm

I've seen these at TJ Max this Christmas, so check there if you want to look at them in person. They say they are 1/16, but the cab seats and the drivers look almost 1:22 or 1:24 in scale. I've been tempted to buy one to experiment with, put they are pretty big.

Adeleron
Corporal
Corporal

Too bad...

Post by Adeleron » Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:13 pm

I would love to have a couple of Unimog's with opening doors.

The Bruder stuff is pricey, but it seems to be the only stuff I can find online..

Have you seen any other mfctrs of 1:18 trucks out there?
Howdy

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:23 pm

Thanks for the heads up on these. I just bought the bulldozer. It's a caterpillar D9 and these are used, in slightly modified form, by the Israeli army. You often see them in footage of the conflict in that part of the world. A few mods to the cab area, perhaps add a machine gun and a new coat of paint and it should be a dead ringer for one. Perhaps a bit on the small side but interesting nonetheless. They are also used by the US army now.

Here is some info if anyone is interested:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/encyclopedia/caterpillar_d9

http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/ ... 9_D10.html

The dimensions given in the drawing are suspect. Some dimensions are not proportional to others (eg look at the height of the blade vs. the overall height to the top of the cab) but there are some excellent pictures and info on these intimidating bruisers..

darthgary
Private First Class
Private First Class

IDF bulldozer

Post by darthgary » Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:50 am

Very interesting Aferg, thanks for the links. I wonder what the chances are XD or FOV will be making one of those any time soon.

Gary

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:19 am

0.0%

Adeleron
Corporal
Corporal

Good Idea..

Post by Adeleron » Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:13 am

Good Idea aferguson!

I've been looking at that D9 for awhile thinking the same thing.. Only I was'nt sure if it would be close enough to scale to fit with my 1:18 forces.

I grew up in the middle of the oilpatch, and saw quite a few civilian D9's in action... They are freakin Huge!

Let me know when you get yours if it's a good fit for 1:18.

I sent an e-mail asking if the Bruder trucks had opening doors - their reply was no.. I'm not sure If I want to buy a truck that costs that much and try and create a custom..
Howdy

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:57 am

I got my Bruder D9 Caterpillar today. It's quite nice. Crisply molded and accurate in shape. Simple working features. No glass around the driving compartment though.

Size wise it's closer to 1/20 than 1/18 but still looks large beside a Sherman or Tiger. Place it on a mound of rubble and i don't think you'll notice that its a bit small.

Except for colour, some armour around the driving compartment and maybe a roof machine gun this is exactly how the Israeli D9's look. It's a frightening machine, for some reason. Probably because it's only real weapon is its size and ability to crush.

Recommended.

red69charger
Sergeant
Sergeant

Custom Trucks

Post by red69charger » Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:27 am

In 1/16 there are the 1940 Stake trucks. There is a new limited edition Pearl Harbor one out but I am more interested in using them as German trucks. The Germans manufactured them as the Ford V3000S and many of them were used during the war as medium trucks by the Wehrmacht. From what I can tell, only a few modifications are needed (and a total repaint). I haven't bought one yet. Has anyone else? I'd be curious how tough it was to make the conversion.

Here is a link to one of many sellers of them:

http://www.legacydiecast.com/xq/asp/mak ... owroom.htm