ok i think we need a poll on F-4 Phantoms

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.

would you pay around the same price as Avenger?

yes
93%
no
7%

Total votes: 44

KAGNEW
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

ok i think we need a poll on F-4 Phantoms

Post by KAGNEW » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:22 am

i get a lot of good feedback from people wanting a 1/18 F-4 Phantom
i think we need a vote on it
Last edited by KAGNEW on Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

digger
Officer - Brigadier General

f-4

Post by digger » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:43 am

I think most of us would love to see one. I know I would and have voted accordingly. 8) I wonder who would say "no" to this poll? :?
Last edited by digger on Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:49 am

Don`t put Harrier in the poll though or i`ll be torn between two fo my favs,though putting the F14 in the poll too makes it very hard :(

HAHAHAHA I want ALL 3 of them :D

ja
Steel bonnet

kevrut

xd

Post by kevrut » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:44 am

I voted yes, but wouldn't get more than one at that price.

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:55 am

A good friend of mine is a retired Marine Corp pilot, and he flew RF-4B Phantoms. I love talking to him and learning about the F-4. What an awesome plane it is. Think of all the beautiful Navy paint schemes you could make a Phantom model in. :D
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

od1each
Corporal
Corporal

Post by od1each » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:02 am

YEAH........................BABY!!!!!!!

Moth
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Moth » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:12 am

I will too, it is a very nice plane.
[img39]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/QueenofSky/BirdFlu.gif[/img39] [img39]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1b/Acherontia_lachesis.jpg/200px-Acherontia_lachesis.jpg[/img39]

tpa05
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by tpa05 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:19 am

When I first started looking at 1:18 aircraft about 1-1/2 years ago I was sure that I'd find a Phantom. It's kinda like model aircraft, you know they'll be around. What I found however were what I later determined must be "staple" aircraft - those "typical" aircraft that you'd expect to find in any collection. Most are with propellars because kids luv 'em. I never really understood the F-104 choice though (in terms of popularity). My guess is if yer gonna build a jet, make it relatively simple yet cool to look at.

As for why no Phantom so far, after some thought I think it's pretty easy to understand. It looks like building a very high quality 1:18 aircraft is not as easy as most of us might hope/expect. Just look at all of the posts just recently with regard to the Mustang and how critical we all are (myself included) as to the irregularities, options and even just plain mistakes. Just compare a bbi and a 21c aircraft and note the difference. Each includes both the good and the bad.

I'm not sure of the ratio between those customers who purchase your typical 1:18 aircraft just for a toy and those who might best be described as collectors. I'm not sure where my station resides as my interests include both. I STRONGLY believe that the Avenger is a big test for 21c. I think that 21c is pretty confident that the purchase of the aircraft by collectors is a given but like it or not, it is the "toy" market that will drive this particular sale. I think the birth-pangs over the past few years by both companies trying to perfect so many things such as the detail and quality of their product, deciding what market(s) that they want (need) to appeal to and the simple manufacturing of their product have helped produce some good aircraft but it required both time and effort.

Did 21c every think that they could sell an aircraft the size of an Avenger just a few years ago, especially one with the detail and workmanship of their current version? Many would have thought that they were crazy even to build one let alone try putting them on their shelves, expecially in a market that only a few (kids or collectors) had heard of (yet). The best bet was to compromise and build aircraft that all camps can appreciate. Well years later, we ALL know about them. We collectors purchase the aircraft before they even build the box. As for kids, you can be sure that not unlike when I was young, every boy who's walked into a (popular american retail store) over the past year runs straight to the toy section looking to see if there's a new one. Yup, they're sellin'

As for size, when considering the Phantom is there another like aircraft/vehicle that can compare. This thing will be 'effing huge. Here's something to consider, will Wallymart make available enough shelf space for a box of it's size and for the money they expect to receive in return? I've got to believe that the fuselage will be a solid piece (again to satisfy both camps). With this, the box will be about 4-1/2 feet long. Maybe even bigger considering how they might have to box it when the weight is taken into consideration.

Here's another thing to consider. Man if there's an aircraft they better get right it's the Phantom. This thing will be torn down to the rivets and they'll have to hire extra personnel just to deal with the flood of e-mails from people lettin' them know what they did wrong. This aircraft sits deep in the hearts of so many people who worked on them and flew them during the most emotionally compelling periods of their lives. Some of these are the dads and granddads pushing the shopping carts around the store who would otherwise have nothing to do with a plastic toy. He'll help the little guy crack open the box and from there it might be the intakes, the nose cone or the angle of the winglet that might bring back so many fond and unfortunately some sad memories. They've held these in their hands before and they were so much a part of their lives. They better get it right.

So who do you satisfy? Can it be done and perhaps most importantly, is it worth the gamble for 21c? That last question alone can perhaps be better dealt with in a seperate post.

Who do you piss off first? If you build a Robin Olds or a Steve Ritchie aircraft first you've got the Navy and Marine Corps lookin' for your address. Is "Showtime 112" politically correct with its pilot sitting in prison? Like the guy or not, he was definately one kick-ass Phantom driver and yes, the plane deserves recognition. Again, let the arguments begin (for another post no?)

Six months from now, during the meeting at 21c the question will be asked (again) - will the Phantom really make us money? Can we satisfy both markets? How many will they have to sell in stores in order to see a (real) profit because like it or not, it's the Wallyworlds that will drive this sale. Just look at the Avenger as a model. My guess is that they'll be a lot of TBFs under the Christmas tree come December but the cost of buiding George's plane and the F-4 is dramatically different. Would Mom/Dad/Grandparents have paid $90 for a Wallyworld airplane? Not if there's a $39.99 Mustang sitting on the other shelf. As for collectors, how much will the sales of their other aircraft drop as we'll now need to save money in order to buy an F-4?

As far as aircraft goes it will be their biggest project yet both in materials and engineering for sure. While they can be fairly confident that many collector's like us will have to wear a bib if even a rumor about one starts, after what the've done to the pre-order market for the Avenger they'll only have to guess.

Sorry for the diatribe. Just my thoughts.

Tpa05 out.

Rylau
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Phantom

Post by Rylau » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:48 am

Voted yes but only if it's late '60s RVN. Bob

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:40 am

Voted yes BUT.......there is no way we gat an F-4 for the Avenger cost. Even the BBI jets don't list that low. Price point for the poll should have been around $100, methinks.

KAGNEW
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by KAGNEW » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:53 pm

i was just wondering what reason the person who voted no had? :shock:
i wish to hear everyones opinion. don't worry the Phantom Police won't raid your house :D

vulgarvulture
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by vulgarvulture » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:18 pm

Although it may be a pipe dream, bring 'em on. Someone. Please.

mack perry
Corporal
Corporal

Post by mack perry » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:11 pm

F-4 :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: i want 4

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:14 pm

I would really like to see an F-4 in the Thunderbirds, and the Blue Angels scheme. :D
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

mediump
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by mediump » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:42 pm

yes, the f-4 is one of the coolest looking birds IMO
and 70 is not too much for a big beautiful bird

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:16 pm

I voted yes but only if they get it right the frost time and offer different versions from different decades, Navy, Air Force, Marines, RAF so on and so on. I would be willing to pay up 130 dollars for a replica F-4 that is right on the money when it comes to detail.

I would put money on it, in ten year from now there will be more companies making 1:18 sale aircraft.
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

chunks
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by chunks » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:45 pm

Just read in the currant Defense International that Turkey is upgrading their F-4s. That is some longevity!

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:18 am

Sure! It would be a wonderful addition to the Viet Nam line. My only worry if one was ever made and sold at Wal Mart is that it would pass by my area like the Avengers have. In that case, an F-4 wouldn't be worth it :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Flytiger
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Flytiger » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:09 pm

Bring 'em on - but which one? There are physical differences over the life of the various types. At 40+ inches long depending on the version, the thing would be longer than the Avenger's wingspan. Then figure out all the ordnance that it could have racked onto it and you're going to have something that weighs well over 10lbs.

I can't see any way to produce one for under $100, probably more like $150.

But as I've said before, there are enough Phantom drivers and sources of decent decals to make a handful of basic color schemes into thousands of custom display models for vets and their families.

KAGNEW
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by KAGNEW » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:24 pm

if they made any of them i would kitbash it to the ones i wanted :D

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:29 pm

KAGNEW wrote:if they made any of them i would kitbash it to the ones i wanted :D
I believe that if anyone made the F-4 they would do what 21st did with the F-104 or P-47 make it so the mold can be changed from the early models to the later models. Personally I'd really like to see a late Vietnam model or an Israili Model.
A little song, A little dance, A little seltzer down your pants!~~~Chuckles the Clown.

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:53 pm

I wonder if they could make several versions out of the same plane making interchangeable parts like the tail on the F 104's. If so it might help defray costs and increase repaint possibilities. Not my favorite but an important plane and I would definantly get at least one. Would rather see an A-10 if large jets are being considered.
Todd

KAGNEW
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by KAGNEW » Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:03 am

Turkey is still buying F-4s and fixing them to a higher level
the Germans think there F-4Fs have 8 years more service in them
that will be 55 years in service and still counting
the B-52 of fighters
Phabulous Phantoms Phorever rule the sky
and Starfighters Rule the Stars

http://WWW.Panda-Hobby.COM