Rasberry list

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
STUKA
Officer - Brigadier General

Rasberry list

Post by STUKA » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:46 pm

We know everybody's list of favorites - so tell us - in your opinion -

which vehicle, plane or figure 1:18 that you purchased did you not like?
and maybe state why...

Lets keeps this to XD and BBI.
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.

Moth
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Moth » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:51 pm

They dont make enough products to buy and not like :lol:
[img39]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/QueenofSky/BirdFlu.gif[/img39] [img39]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1b/Acherontia_lachesis.jpg/200px-Acherontia_lachesis.jpg[/img39]

vulgarvulture
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by vulgarvulture » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:56 pm

P-47 'Eileen'. If I ever regretted an XD plane purchase, this one fits the bill due to paint quality issues.

aktiger
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by aktiger » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:07 pm

I didn't regret purchasing any items but I was frustrated with the C21 P-40 Wheels and the corsair wings.

Emil Frand
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Emil Frand » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:24 pm

1/18th Fw190 and Big Beautiful Doll P51, 190 was an impuse buy but I ordered BBD, guess I shoulda looked at the pics better.
The 109s, what annoys me is the pilots only fit if you take the legs off(for me at least) and the seat is too far forward.
The 190s I dont like because of the version D9s, like I said it was an impulse buy, never was a real fan of the long nose TA types, along with the non retracting step and holes in the strut covers for the wheels.
Last edited by Emil Frand on Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moth
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Moth » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:26 pm

What's wrong with the 190?
[img39]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/QueenofSky/BirdFlu.gif[/img39] [img39]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1b/Acherontia_lachesis.jpg/200px-Acherontia_lachesis.jpg[/img39]

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:27 pm

:D I WAS ABOUT TO ASK WHY AS WELL -

parrish333
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

BBI LAV

Post by parrish333 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:15 pm

I'm not thrilled with the BBI LAV.

Nice touch on the turning wheels, but the lack of opening hatches was very disappointing. I knew this when I bought it (it was on clearance for a measly ~$10), so at least I knew what I was getting into. And I am very happy with the fig it came with, but overall just a letdown of a vehicle after they had such winners with the Little Bird, Blackhawk, etc.

The BBI M1 Abrams would certainly fall into the same category (didn't buy that one though even when tempted with a $12 price tag!).

lablksmith
Sergeant
Sergeant

I kind of dont really like...

Post by lablksmith » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:20 pm

I kind of am not crazy about the 1.5 ton Dodge. I like to keep items mint. I dont like to cut things off or change them. Just how I feel I guess. I am glad to have a truck finally but the way this is made doesnt lend itself to much use and it is all open and the canvase top wont come off. I only bought 2. Looks OK though. Id buy several deuce and a halfs. :shock:

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:58 pm

Hard to say if mine are just "gripes" or "regreting I bought":

- The FW190 pilots stink.
- The Stuka pilots. Mine keep trying to loose their lower legs
- Bought the original woodland camo Bradley. Would have preferred to get the desert tan with Modern Driver. But, I don't mind having extra Vietnam figures. Still, it's meant I've had to repaint my current Bradley.
- BBi modern figures. Bought them because they're the only guys in town. But, if I could get better modern military, those would probably be given to the kids. The helmets never look right, and the packs and such on the uniforms seem funky. C'mon Mcfarlane, put your guys out in 4" scale! The exception is the assault Humvee driver. I love that figure.
- The winter Stuka. When I opened it, was surprised how cheap it seemed compared to other 21C planes. I've been considering selling off some of my props and focus more on jets, and if I do I'm sure that will be the first to go.
- The BBi mustang. Mine is just a piece of crap. Lots of loose pieces or parts keep falling off. Should have returned it, but I trashed the box getting it out.
- Its stepping out of what you wanted the thread to stay on, but PTE Cargo Humvee. Not as nice as the other Humvees on the market. You get what you pay for, but I had been so pleasantly surprised with other PTE offereings, this one just didn't seem on par with their other offerings.

But, for all these, there have been many more "impulse" purchases that have turned out to just be great. The assault Humvee, the little bird, the P40 (which got me started buying the 1:18 planes),..........too many to mention

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:18 pm

Hmmm... the 1:18 purchase that I regretted? Like many of you have indicated, its hard to say. There are some of my planes that I don't like as much as others (like, say, the origional 21c P-51 when compared to the BBI one) but that I really liked when I first got them. There were some items that I felt a little guilty about when I got them (namely a couple aircraft & vehicle repaints) and there were some aircraft that I was a little annoyed to find some paint flaws, but overall, I have not seriously regretted any purchase!

Still, now that I think about it a little more, I could have done without a couple 32x items, such as the P-51 and the winterized M-41....
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

holensock
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by holensock » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:30 pm

Good Post! It seems all I've been doing on here is complaining, so I've stayed off-now this post gives me a reason to...'vent'...agan...
My BIGGEST raspberry goes to the XD Vehicles that won't let the XD soldiers able to SIT in them. Well, unless you take their legs off or are satisfied to have the figure sit in the air without having his butt actually sit on the seat. What a let down...
2nd biggest raspberry goes to the XD figures and their limited articulation to their shoulders and hips...the Japanese figures are great with the 'ball joint' on their shoulders, but why couldn't these be added to the US Marines? BOB? OMG? It would've also been nice if this same 'socket' was added to their 'hips' so they could ride a motorcycle, etc.
3rd raspberry goe to all the XD equipment that won't stay in the 'holes'-I like the bbi WWII soldiers better where that equipment is 'fixed' on 'em.
The 4thrasberrywhich could also tie for first-goes to the aggravated distribution system at Walmart! It just BLOWS!
And the 5th raspberry which ALSO could tie for first...goes to TRU!! Where there is NO bbi 1:18...at least at the 4 I visited last week...and ya know what? I'm gonna add Target to this list for not carrying XD or the 'good' 1:18 bbi stuff IN their stores!
That's it! I think that's all I've got! You've been a great crowd! Dive carefully! Good Night! :-)

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:16 pm

Yes - I'm continually annoyed with the inconsistent ability for 21st century gear to fit in the aloted spots - and it isnt just one figure - Because I buy multiple of each figure - some fit fine and some won't fit at all with other gear falling out.

The figures I regret buying were three of the BBI para troops - 1st I thought the figures were great - but that was $21.00 that could have gone toward a Stuka , Pizza - or my daughter's college fund.

I have been very picky aboout what I buy vehicle-wise as my space is limited - but I regretted buying the RC Panzer - I was later able to take it back and found a busted one that I paid nothing for and have enjoyed putting it back together.

As for planes - I have a spitfire and a Night fighter - very happy with them so far.

donnieboy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Rasberry list

Post by donnieboy » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:42 pm

Obviously, the first 21C P-51 left much to be desired, but they're rectifying that with the second edition. I liked the 21C Corsair until BBI's came out-theirs is so much better. On the other hand I also have issues with BBI-mainly, the too-soft plastic they used on their jets' landing gear and their helos' rotor blades-who wants crooked landing gear and saggy rotor blades?-yuck!
:x
Go Starbuck!

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:23 am

As already said the BBI LAV could have been better (Working hatches).

My MAIN Pet hate though are the BBI Modern British,there Just a repaint of the US marines. No effort made to make them look like Brit`s apart from the DPM camo they painted (which wasn`t too bad i must admit). Still I`d like to see BBI do them again this time NEW Bodies in British Style uniforms & webb gear & headwear & weapons :D

As for XD,
Well apart from the Humvee being underscaled that`s about it really.

Oh & One more thing NEITHER of them MAKE enough 1/18th ground forces :D

ja
Steel Bonnet

digger

It's all relative..

Post by digger » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:34 am

Tempest66 wrote:I can't say that I reget buying any of the planes/vehicles/figures, because for the most part, their the only 1:18 version of that certain plane/vehicle/figure.
EXACTLY! Nobody regretted buying the 1st P-51....when it was one of 2 1:18 scale planes. Similarly, my first humvee was a bbi Navy Seal version - never touch it now but at the time I had NO regrets.
Even the LAV and Abrams which leave MUCH to be desired are still the only ones of their kind, so I don't regret buying them. Same the M113 and bbi Marines - no regrets, just not at the top of my list.

spect_spidey
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by spect_spidey » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:59 am

I regret trading some fairly valuable G.I. Joes for a Jabo, Winter Stuka, and a Kepford Corsair. Not because of the models, but because I really don't have space for them and I am more of an armor guy than aviation. I have since gotten rid of the Stuka, but the other two sit in their boxes waiting to be sold or traded.

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:17 am

spect_spidey wrote:I regret trading some fairly valuable G.I. Joes for a Jabo, Winter Stuka, and a Kepford Corsair. Not because of the models, but because I really don't have space for them and I am more of an armor guy than aviation.
Ditto for me. I once had 5 P-47's, then I realized that I didn't need every single version so I sold/traded 3 of them. Not that I didn't like the planes, but found it difficult to find parking spaces for them. Will probably only keep one of the 2 I have left. Much easier to store armor pieces.

Emil Frand
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Emil Frand » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:52 pm

EXACTLY! Nobody regretted buying the 1st P-51
I did..........

digger

?

Post by digger » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:37 pm

Emil Frand wrote:Nobody regretted buying the 1st P-51
I did..........
Why was that?

Emil Frand
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Emil Frand » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:14 pm

there were/are a lot of features about it you already know, the kill markings is a joke(ok its a politically correct world now I guess), drop tanks, tail wheel, wing thickness, pilot seat position, etc etc. The paint job I like. Now I realize they were probably just making a cool toy and it maybe wasnt their intent to get it right, who knows, but the question was which one did I regret buying and this is the one. Probably replace the 1/18 one with a 1/32 as I like the paint job and that'll make some room. I guess having it hanging next to Killer doesnt help much either.

digger

You regret it hindsight...

Post by digger » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:49 pm

I guess having it hanging next to Killer doesnt help much either.
I figured that played into it :wink:
I couldn't imagine when you first saw a 1:18 Mustang with detailed cockpit, articulated pilot and working gears all for $40 you would have regretted buying it as soon as you got home. With time, we all have regrets. :P

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:29 pm

Although my S1 "Lou IV" Mustang may be regarded as the least favored plane in my collection, in terms of the accuracy and look of the mould, it was all the rage when I first got it for exactly the reasons that Digger mentioned above! I still really like the paintscheme as well as the fact that, save for the 1:32 version, there have been no re-releases of the "Lou IV" scheme, making it and the S1 ME-109 some of the more rare XD planes.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

ogravl
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by ogravl » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:48 pm

I agree tman. And back in 2001 the price was $29.99 if I remember right and still a bargin by todays standards IMO.