My Kubelwagon , 251 PAK And HUMVEE

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
pickelhaube
Officer - Brigadier General

My Kubelwagon , 251 PAK And HUMVEE

Post by pickelhaube » Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:39 am

Hey Guys
Here is my first kubelwagon.
I did a little customizing on it but it is mostly a repaint.
It has the 3 tone paint scheme that was mainly used during the Normandy invasion.

Here is the mod next to an untouched kubel

Last edited by pickelhaube on Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

YT

Re: My First Kubelwagon

Post by YT » Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:11 pm

Nice work as always!
"There are some people who disagree with me, they are wrong." --Gen George S. Patton

tmanthegreat

Re: My First Kubelwagon

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:01 am

Nice job, Matthew! And this is your first Kubelwagen repaint? I thought you’d done one already, but maybe I’m thinking of those covers you made for the vehicle a while back…

Either way, it surprises me that 21st never re-released this model after it initially came out in the first wave of their XD vehicles in the fall of 2000 (jeeze, 23 years ago!) I know they did a limited re-released of the Willys MB Jeep in a winter scheme; but we only ever got the one grey Kubelwagen. A camouflage model would have been a sensible release for them. Still, it’s a great model!
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

pickelhaube

Re: My First Kubelwagon And 251 PAK

Post by pickelhaube » Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:28 am

Thanks guys for the kudos.

Christmas will be good for a collector in TX
Here are a pair of SDKFZ 251 with pak guns.
These were a stop gap measure for Germany's need for tank destroyers.

pickelhaube

Re: My First Kubelwagon And 251 PAK

Post by pickelhaube » Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:00 am

I liked the way this came out.
Based on a 21st Century HUMVEE with my parts kit.
Everything hanging sticking off this HUMVEE are parts of my kit.

Eddy10440
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: My Kubelwagon , 251 PAK And HUMVEE

Post by Eddy10440 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:27 pm

That Kubel looks great, Matthew, fanstastic job as usual!

c44
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Just a late bit of trivia...

Post by c44 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:09 am

...about the 21CT Kubelwagon...I remember reading (possibly in this forum) that the molds for the Kubel were destroyed in a fire along with the 1/18 Spitfire molds...Kubelwagons still pop up on ebay at fairly reasonable prices (as opposed to Spits, which are usually offered up at ludicrous asking prices), so I guess there was no shortage of them even though never offered as a reissue ...which raises the question in my head whenever I think about the ruined molds: do any of the old 21CT molds exist anymore...?
C44
...Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see...

tmanthegreat

Re: Just a late bit of trivia...

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:46 am

c44 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:09 am
...about the 21CT Kubelwagon...I remember reading (possibly in this forum) that the molds for the Kubel were destroyed in a fire along with the 1/18 Spitfire molds...Kubelwagons still pop up on ebay at fairly reasonable prices (as opposed to Spits, which are usually offered up at ludicrous asking prices), so I guess there was no shortage of them even though never offered as a reissue ...which raises the question in my head whenever I think about the ruined molds: do any of the old 21CT molds exist anymore...?
That’s what I recall hearing about the 21st Kubels, Jeeps, Spitfires as well.

Some 21st molds do or at least did survive as well… Following 21st’s demise in 2008, repaints of a number of their aircraft as well as some tanks and figures were released by JSI after 2009. The models from JSI were basically repaints of the 21st models and included the F4U Corsair, Stuka, P-38, Huey, BF-109E, ME-262, and F-86 as well as a couple later retools of the Huey. I think there was also an F-104 repaint. Tank repaints included the Tiger and Panther and there was also a repaint of the 88mm Flak 36 gun, minus the carriage. Figures re-released by JSI included the 1st series Germans and US Paratroopers. All the JSI models were either identical or slight retoolings of the original 21st models and did not included figures. Repaints of the 21st P-51D (2005 retooled version), MiG-15, and TBF Avenger were also released in the mid 2010s by a company called Flight Wing and included all the same figures and accessories as the 21st originals. More recently, the model company Hobby Boss (a subsidiary of Trumpeter) released kit versions of what were the old 21st ME-262, BF-109E, and Huey among other 1/18 scale model kits. The Hobby Boss kits are identical to the 21st models save you have to build and paint them.

In saying the above, I’m not counting original JSI or Merit models like the F-14, SBD Dauntless, Harrier, or FW-190A that were released in the early-mid 2010s but which were not oroginally 21st models. I have no idea what happened with other 21st aircraft or armor toolings. Tanks like the Panzer IV, M113, etc. or aircraft like the Supercobra, P-40, or P-47s have not been produced in some form since.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."