Are Joytoy's Darksource and Battle for the Stars figs made up?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Are Joytoy's Darksource and Battle for the Stars figs made up?

Post by aferguson » Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:52 am

or are they based on something concrete, eg a wargame like the Warhammer 40K figs?
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: Are Joytoy's Darksource and Battle for the Stars figs made up?

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:46 pm

Aferg, I think those Joy Toy figure lines are either made up or correspond to a Chinese graphic novel or comic made to go with those toy lines. A lot of interesting sci-fi/fantasy figures there.

In addition to the Warhammer line, Joy Toy also has a Corvus Belli Infinity war gaming themed line of figures and earlier did some movie themed figures from a Chinese film, The Wandering Earth, and an anime called Awakening.

And I’m sure a lot of the strange names or spelling on some of the figures comes from poor English-Chinese translation :P
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:26 am

thanks, Tman. Joytoy's Warhammer figures are fantastic. When I first looked at them I thought they were weird looking (design-wise) but I kept going back and looking at them....and now have 2 on the way. :)

Lots more i'm interested in too. They are pricey though and I've learned to shop around as prices vary greatly online.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:19 pm

The Joy Toy Warhammer figures are certainly quite elaborate! Not quite my cup of tea personally, though I do rather like the WWI German look of the Death Corps of Krieg figures… The Corvus Believe Infinity figures have piqued my interest given their futuristic, but grounded, sci-fi military look. Their WWII and Modern military figures are excellent and great additions to the old 21st and BBI items, though, comically enough, the old 21st XD weapons look better than the Joy Toy examples with the historic figures.

And yeah, long gone are the days of the $5 action figures, but the Joy Toy figures seem worth the price. I’ve also learned to get something closer to when it comes out as older items will sell out and the OOP items can be hard to find and expensive.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:22 pm

i hadn't seen the Death Korps of Krieg figures before. They are pretty neat. Great, now I have some more stuff to get. Thanks a lot. :lol

All of the other Joytoy lines, except the realistic military figs, could easily belong in the Warhammer universe. In Warhammer, there are millions of planets and several different sides in the war and many factions all allied or fighting with one another. I can't really make heads or tails of the story line still, but I like many of the designs, a lot of which have a Crusaders flavour to them.

One interesting part of the story of Warhammer is that there are really no good guys. Even the humans are part of a massive authoritarian empire which encompasses thousands of worlds and they are as cruel and evil as all the other alien factions are. Another interesting part is that the humans know they are going to eventually lose the war....they are far too outnumbered to have any chance of prevailing. But they fight to 'rage against the dying of the light' as it were and give humanity the chance to live for a while longer.