1/18 T65 X-Wing

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Grilledcheese
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

1/18 T65 X-Wing

Post by Grilledcheese » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:47 pm

Hey guys, still lurking.

So you know how sometimes you come up with a bright idea and then quickly realize that you grossly underestimated the amount of work involved?
Yeah well that's me, like 90% of the time. Just like this time!
But lets first skip back 3 or so years. Hasbro put out a roughly 1/18 scale X-wing. Oh boy, right? Well, no, as most of you already know. The thing was horrible and I have no idea how it was ever approved for manufacture. The wings were molded shut, which is ridiculous (it's called an XWING for crying out loud), several parts of it were molded open on the underneath (wings, cannons, and rear part of engine nacelles), no cockpit (black stickers where the glass would be), and it was made of soft ABS plastic (which I hate).
The overall dimensions were nearly spot on though, surprisingly, and the panel lines and smaller details weren't terrible (except the cannons, cannons were bad). The price was also ridiculous. Wally World originally had them for $35 bucks.
So overall a big pass. Until....
We jump ahead a couple of months, and I see one on the clearance isle at Wally for ten bucks. Crap. I can do something with this, I think. So...
I get the thing home and immediately tear it apart. Fuselage is upper and lower halves screwed together, top engines and wings molded to upper half, bottom engines molded to lower. I separated the halves and cut off the engines and wings. At least ABS (still hate it) is soft and easy to cut. Cannons would snap onto wings, but I didn't bother.
Then I did the usual and procrastinated for several years, until...
DA RONA.
Lots of free time now. And bonus motivation, my daughter is a Star Wars freak (go figure, NO idea where she got that from) and she started dropping hints.
So, yeah, lots of time on my hands. And as I figured, I was gonna need it.
First I picked up a bunch of styrene sheet, various sizes of tubing, fresh model glue and some Loctite 404 and got to it.
Wings and cannons were fabricated from scratch, engine nacelles were reused and mated to new wings, and internal engine bits fabricated on the inside of the wings (pain in the ass). Hollow parts of engine nacelles were filled with foam and covered with bondo. Bondo was then carved to match engine details (also pain in the ass, but much less PITA than scratch building new ones).
Cockpit canopy came molded with fuselage, so I somewhat carefully cut it out along with where the glass would go (extreme pain in the ass, and only cut myself twice). Cockpit was fabricated (not as much of a pain in the ass as I thought it would be).
So at this point I should mention that I'm not a rivet counter type (obviously). For reference I found a website with really excellent pictures of one of the original pyro xwing models from ANH. Random photos of other 1/1 and smaller props were used, so the cockpit I built is a bit of a frankenstein, as the pyro and 1/1 cockpits were completely different. Likewise on the paint job. Started on Red Five, ended on Red Two, and went kinda sideways from there. Wedge can sue me.
Weathering was about 40% unintentional, and I need to do a bit more. Paint really didn't wanna stick to the ABS (yup, STILL hate it).
The wings are fixed open (I didn't need any more pains. In the ass).
A note on the pilot - he's the most expensive part of whole thing, $40, 3D printed by Falcon 3D Parts in Canada. They actually sell just about everything I fabricated. But the price would have been astronomical. Turns out there was a bunch of people out there doing the same thing I was doing.
Anywho, have some pics while I figure out how I'm gonna hang this heavy sucker from the ceiling.

Now I have a machine gun (SPACE GUN!). Ho ho ho.

pickelhaube
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: 1/18 T65 X-Wing

Post by pickelhaube » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:10 am

Looks great !!
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:33 am

Absolutely fantastic work on those X-Wings, Grilledcheese 8)

I remember those large and cheap X-Wings at Walmart and TRU a few years ago. Never felt I had the skill or patience to modify one, however, so they were a pass for me.

But speaking of 1/18 scaled X-Wings, there is a kit available for one from De Agostini & Modelspace as a monthly subscription where one gets certain parts each month to build the model in stages until it’s completed. The DeAgostini model even has bonus ground crew figures and maintenance vehicles. I’ve been tempted to get that, but in total it comes out to something like $1600, so I’ve been slow to bite thus far...
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Grilledcheese
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Grilledcheese » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:25 am

Thanks guys.
I came across the DeAgostini kits while looking for cockpit options, and I thought the same thing, $1600 is a bit steep. Especially since I might have spent a hundred bucks total on this one. I also saw that Falcon 3D was making replacement detail parts for the DeAgostini kits. That's a bit disconcerting in itself!
That being said, I ain't doing this again, pain in the butt and all.
The craziest bit to me is that if Hasbro had gone just a bit further on the one they made, even with fixed open wings and a simple one piece molded cockpit they probably could have sold the things for twice as much. The number of forum posts I've seen over the years lamenting the crap design of these things was nuts. I realize we're a niche market here, but Star Wars is stupid huge now. But I digress.
FAMOUS LAST WORDS FOLLOW:
Hey I wonder how hard a scratch build T47 Snowspeeder would be?
:wink:

nooker21
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by nooker21 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:12 pm

May I ask why you went with a 3D printed pilot instead of just using a 3 3/4" figure?

Grilledcheese
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Grilledcheese » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:28 pm

Sorry for the delay. I was curious more than anything, and the printed pilot comes with a control stick. I originally planned to use one of the action figures before coming across Falcon's stuff.

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:00 pm

Wow!! I love it! I have the latest 3.5" scale and the Revell snap kit which I think works out to around 1/24 scale.
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark