Schleich Knights No More?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Axis Nightmare
Officer - Brigadier General

Schleich Knights No More?

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:00 pm

Just recently while looking for something I stumbled across a plastic tote packed away and not remembering what was in it I opened it finding my long since forgotten Schleich and other brands of knights and assorted accessories I hadn't seen in 8-10 years. I began pulling out men and horses and reacquainting with them. That was a mistake. It rekindled my enjoyment of Medieval figures. Couldn't help but appreciate the detail on so many of the colorful horses and warriors. Though technically not 1/18, they can pass for a slightly smaller man in that scale and mix well with 1/18. After all, not every soldier was exactly 6'tall even in modern times. (Especially the terrible 21st C Japanese soldiers.) Yes, I know the articulation crowd scoffs at single pose figures but some have exchangeable weapons and a little creativity can go a long way. The BBi Warriors of the World series is really good too but I recalled them as being kinda pricey. Papo figures are not so good but can be used as fillers and background figures.

So I looked online to see what the latest offerings were from Schleich. Their website had none. Appears they are out of the warrior/knights business. Maybe too violent for the snowflake generation? They've instead gone to fairies and princess figures. No toxic masculinity these days. Looks like they're more into dinosaurs, horses, wildlife and farm animals now too. I looked on eBay and about fell off my chair on what they wanted for Schleich knights. The word "retired" accompanied many sales offerings. Singles were as high as $25.00 Some of the nicer horseback knights were over $30. Lots, sets and castles were way high. I turned to shopgoodwill.com and and there was only one offering. Plenty of fantasy fairy tale figures, horses, wild and farm animals lots. Even some Dinosaurs. Then I checked Craigslist and found one of these like the picture below...

The Schleich Big Castle had a few minor issues but came with 4 horses and seven figures. You'd be lucky to find a set of two horse mounted knights on eBay for less than $40 plus you'd add tax and shipping.

So of course I bought it. Now I have yet another project, as if I needed one. :roll:

Anybody else out there into Schleich or BBi Warriors?

Last edited by Axis Nightmare on Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

What makes the P-51 Mustang so special?

"It would do for 8 hours what a Spitfire would do for 45 minutes."

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

Axis Nightmare

Re: Schleich Knights No More?

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:42 pm

The last of the Schleich Knights were just a tab larger and are just about at 1/18. Articulated figures tend to be tall, thin and standing straight up. Knight figures tend to be in combat poses with bent knees and body leans. The last of the knights on horseback were exquisite in detail. Even late Papo examples were getting much nicer and closer to Schleich quality. The BBi warriors are closer to 1/20 but of excellent quality and can blend in well. These Schleich examples pictured were played with by children so they do hold up well.

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:59 pm

Axis,
WOW, I just got rid of the one and only Castle Tower from this line. Picked it up at yard sale cheap and had thoughts of using it with Germans defending.
I would have given it to you, if I had know you were into these.
Cool!
Razor
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:14 pm

One other point about these fine Schleich and later Papo or BBi figures, don't let the name "Schleich of Germany" fool you. Like the Papo, BBi or any of our other beloved figures and vehicles, they're made in China.

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:39 pm

A may need an intervention....

Just picked up two more BBi Legends warriors. They are superior in every way to all the Schleich and Papo offerings. The detail and paint is exquisite and the colors are dulled down to a more realistic sheen. They can make otherwise okay pieces look bad side by side. These were only $7 apiece new in packaging. Have seen them for over $20 before though.

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:21 pm

The rock formations that make up part of the castle wall are decent sculpts but the monotone color wasn't realistic for rocks so I used multiple colors to give it different tones like real rocks normally have. I'm having fun with this stuff.

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager