How does your collection grow?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.

How does your collection grow? Select the methods you use the most.

Buy/Trade: New/Old
31%
Customize
21%
3D print
10%
Fabricate/Scratch build
15%
Hydrospan
No votes
Paper Model
No votes
Other
8%
Collection has halted at this time
12%
Rely on others to provide: Gifts/Support material
4%

Total votes: 52

Crimson Pilot
Corporal
Corporal

How does your collection grow?

Post by Crimson Pilot » Mon May 06, 2019 7:40 am

There are many ways we collect. Many types of collections are represented. Let us all know how you keep it alive. Tell us how you keep adding to the armies you amassed. Select the top ways you accomplish this.
Hogan barging in on Klink and Burkhalter:"I'm not interrupting anything, am I?"
Burkhalter:"Of course you are. I've never seen you when you are not interrupting."

grockwood
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Re: How does your collection grow?

Post by grockwood » Mon May 06, 2019 9:31 am

I purchase items off Ebay. I have found a couple of mostly complete Shermans at thrift stores. I buy parts to modify from the talented aftermarket venders both here and on Ebay. Sadly my Father passed away several yeas ago and I now have his collection.

Dauntless
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Dauntless » Tue May 07, 2019 7:11 am

It's been a while since I bought anything 1:18. Most of what I have is from years ago when prices were a lot lower. 90% aircraft.

Still missing a few planes I don't have, but what I want will probably have to be traded for.

Need to make an inventory.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue May 07, 2019 8:22 am

Despite the fact that 21st Century Toys went under 11 years ago, that BBI hasn’t released anything fancy in 5-6 years, that JSI and Merit seem all but dead, my collection still manages to grow... I’ve purchased new additions (or in some cases re-additions) from board members and online. I have also been building my own vehicles and aircraft from model kits and custom kits made by fellow board members. I have a couple 1/18 kits currently in the works including Aracula’s Jagdpanzer IV and Pizzaguy’s ME-163 Komet and also just ordered some 3D printed items from Grunt1’s store. In this sense, 1/18 almost certainly isn’t dead.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Crazy Kraut
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Crazy Kraut » Wed May 08, 2019 5:03 am

Collection grows because of many kits from very talented Forum members. 3D-Print and/or resin-kits will keep the 1:18 scale alive. Some customs out of Chap mei stuff and solido models. And some mixture with 1:16 scaled models (Mini Sub BIBER and merit howitzer) will give me enough customizing work for the next years.
Still to do:
Road Train with Caterpillar - and Lanz tractor pulling 15 cm sfH Howitzer and a Trailer,
BIBER, STUG, Brummbear, (hopefully HUMMEL soon),
Kuebelwagen on tank tracks,
Horten 229, Me163, Ta 183, B25, Me109 twin, Mistel and many many more :roll: :roll:
Hydro Span was a big hope but unfortunatelly Jnewboy stopped working and answering emails after he was payed in front :( :( Very very bad for all the hopefull and badly tricked collectors :cry: :cry:
Wir haben gehurt, gekämpft und gesoffen, des Führers Mühlen verbraucht, sind auf dem Zahnfleisch gekrochen, doch haben wir uns teuer verkauft.
JG300 Wilde Sau

normandy

Post by normandy » Thu May 09, 2019 3:26 pm

Thanks to guys like Pickelhaube, Grunt, Pizzaguy and Aracula I've been able add parts
for customs and entire kits to my collection. That along with my own custom projects the
number of armor vehicles has passed 40. Then there's aircraft...not as many thankfully. :)

From the beginning I had thought 21century's 1:18 was a great platform for custom
projects and much less expensive than 1:16 kits. Its to bad 21st didn't last but 1:18
isn't dead!
We are still expecting Marauder Task Force WWII figures, which may help increase
more interest in this scale and hopefully Skorzeny's King Tiger.

Keep on collecting!!

Black_Dragon_One.
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Black_Dragon_One. » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:41 am

I collect other 1 18 scale stuff scfi

pizzaguy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pizzaguy » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:22 pm

I am strictly an aircraft guy. Most of my collection was made during the 21st Century hay days. I'm still kicking myself for passing up on the 12 Spitfires sitting on the Walmart clearance aisle. If we only knew where the hobby was going to be in ten years.

My focus for new aircraft is scratch building them. I think that is going to be the future of the 1/18 scale hobby. With 3D printing hopefully there will be more possibilities down the road.
As long as I can see and my fingers still work, I'll be making something. Now all I need is time. When I have that my eyes and finger won't work. :lol:

Crimson Pilot
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Crimson Pilot » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:08 pm

Yeah, I think we all passed on some cool stuff back then by taking it for granted. I recall stacks of Tiger Tanks on clearance that I put off. It helps to appreciate what we do have more. Any plane you create is a great thing. I started to 3D print aircraft. I just finished printing a ME-163. Still finishing the canopy and cockpit. Those areas need modifying. I need to find my Dremel.
Hogan barging in on Klink and Burkhalter:"I'm not interrupting anything, am I?"
Burkhalter:"Of course you are. I've never seen you when you are not interrupting."

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:05 pm

I definitely passed on some good aircraft I wish I would have bought at really low prices.
Recently paid just a little more than usual for a Merit Midway SBD that I was missing. Prices have jumped considerably since then.

Maybe because of the upcoming Midway movie. There's a picture of an SBD on the promotional poster that may have peaked an interest in them lately.

It's almost the last of the good stuff. Doubtful we'll ever see aircraft like that again in 1:18.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

GIJosef
Corporal
Corporal

Post by GIJosef » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:54 pm

I mostly buy stuff on eBay every now and then. I finally broke down and bought a XD Panther #413 new in the box for $100 free shipping. I now can field a Platoon of tanks with my German troops.