MATCHING PAINT ON JSI F-14

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
jdmroltid
Private First Class
Private First Class

MATCHING PAINT ON JSI F-14

Post by jdmroltid » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:27 pm

Has anyone had any luck matching the 2 grey on the JSI F-14 Tomcat. I have the lighted Black Knight version and need to do some touch up but having no luck matching the paint. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: MATCHING PAINT ON JSI F-14

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:45 pm

I don’t know about the JSI Black Knights F-14, however, on the original Jolly Rogers “Spotcat” version, I found that Testors Model Master Acrylic Flat Gull Gray (#4763/FS36440) was a near-perfect match for the base color. But that won’t help with the Black Knights aircraft...
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:52 pm

The colors for the BK jet SHOULD BE FS 36375, Light Ghost Gray for the bottom and, FS 36320, Dark Ghost Gray for the top. I strictly use only Model Master enamels because I believe their colors match the FS colors the best.
You should test these colors on some scrap plastic first before putting them on the jet of course. You might need to try some different grays until you find a close match or, you may just have to custom mix your own to get what you want.

Steve
OPERATION "DELIBERATE GUARD", "SOUTHERN WATCH", "ENDURING FREEDOM" AND, "IRAQI FREEDOM" VETERAN.

jdmroltid
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by jdmroltid » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:59 pm

MM Lt Ghost Grey and Dark Ghost Grey do not match. The Lt is close but you can easily see a difference. Anyone else with help matching the colors for the Black Knight F-14 would be appreciated.

John

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:26 pm

jdmroltid wrote:MM Lt Ghost Grey and Dark Ghost Grey do not match. The Lt is close but you can easily see a difference. Anyone else with help matching the colors for the Black Knight F-14 would be appreciated.

John
Sorry to hear this John. Like I said though you'll probably have to play around with some other grays to get a closer match or, just mix your own. Maybe Tamiya is a closer match ??
My buddy had to custom mix the bottom color for my Merit Harrier so my gun / ammo pod would match.

Steve
OPERATION "DELIBERATE GUARD", "SOUTHERN WATCH", "ENDURING FREEDOM" AND, "IRAQI FREEDOM" VETERAN.

jdmroltid
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by jdmroltid » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:30 am

I tried the Tamiya. It was not close. I think mixing is probably the way.

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:45 pm

jdmroltid wrote:I tried the Tamiya. It was not close. I think mixing is probably the way.
Best of luck.

Steve