Found at 2nd hand shop

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
grockwood
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Found at 2nd hand shop

Post by grockwood » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:06 pm

I don't usually find anything at places like Goodwill and other charitable thrift shops. I happened to go into this one to kill some time. I was looking through the pile of broken toys for any diecast cars when I recognized the olive drab rear deck of a BBI M4A3 Sherman. I pulled it out and noticed all the hatches except the loaders were missing as well as the engine hatches and the main gin and 50 cal. The track and suspension looked good as did the hull and turret, minus the hatches. Couldn't find a price so I took it up to the front counter. I decided I wasn't going to pay more the $12.00. Sales clerk said the price was $3.99. After my veterans discount and senior it was $2.99. The last one I bought off ebay was $89.00.

[CAT]CplSlade
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: Found at 2nd hand shop

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:50 pm

If you don't have all the missing parts to fix it, maybe you could make it into a recovery vehicle or something.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:54 pm

Grockwood, your story reminds me of when I found a near-complete XD diecast M-113 APC (desert OIF scheme) in a junk pile at a model railroad show a couple years ago. Only the .50 cal machine gun was missing and the pintle mount on the turret was broken. The seller gave it to me for $10. I was able to swap the complete turret from the customized version of the same M-113 I have had for years to make a complete vehicle in its stock configuration with the M-113 I got at the railroad show. I then added Picklehaube’s M-113 turret shields to my old APC to hide the customized MG mount I made on the swapped-out broken turret. All in all, a complete diecast M-113 for $10 was a steal!
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Crimson Pilot
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Crimson Pilot » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:13 pm

I always check GWs and others when I have time. I don't often find much 1/18 but every once in a while I do. It is hard to justify online prices. I got a U.S. and German half-track, Sherman and tiger, 1/18 Harley motorcycle and kubelwagen, misc plane parts and a full corsair, plus about a dozen figures for $20 on Craigslist last year.
Hogan barging in on Klink and Burkhalter:"I'm not interrupting anything, am I?"
Burkhalter:"Of course you are. I've never seen you when you are not interrupting."