Rarity of certain 1:18 planes

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Rarity of certain 1:18 planes

Post by DocTodd » Sun May 27, 2018 2:42 pm

Hello, I remember that certain 1:18 planes (or paint schemes)were rarer than others. I need help with which ones those are. This is for both 21st Century and BBI planes.
Thanks
Todd

Winterstar
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Rarity of certain 1:18 planes

Post by Winterstar » Tue May 29, 2018 12:18 am

Off the top of my head, and most of my knowledge is BBI based, and I may be wrong.

BBI F-18:
"Common" Releases:
Golden Dragons, Sidewinders

Less common:
Red Devils, Jolly Roger, Blue Angels, I think there is one new zealand or raaf one.

BBI F-16:
Common Releases:
Wolfpack, 9-11 art.

Less Common:
Various National Guard Units

BBI Bf-109:
Tropical and Hartman releases were about equally common, I think. No limited variants that I know of.

BBI P-51:
Common
"Killer"

Less Common:
Cripes A' Mighty,Hurry Home Hunny, Old Crow, Donald Duck

Really hard to find:
The two RAAF schemes.

BBI Hellcat:
Mouth is the more rare of the two.

BBI Corsair:
As far as I know, all four schemes were relatively equally available.

Zero:
Green with white identification and Sakai's seem to be the more common. The Green with Yellow identification and the Pearl Harbor Zero are said to be rarer, but honestly it feels like a wash anyway you slice it; Zero's have been pretty high on the secondary market no matter the markings for a while.

AH-64 Apache:
Sharkmouth is said to be pretty rare.

OH-58 Kiowa Warrior:
Both schemes seem equally out there.

That's all I can remember off the top of my head. THere are others far more qualified to chime in on the rarity of the 21st Century offerings.

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Tue May 29, 2018 8:01 pm

Thanks for the reply, I was unable to acres the archived database.
Todd

Winterstar
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Winterstar » Wed May 30, 2018 5:23 am

Hazarding some guesses at 21st century:

I know the Tender Terror is the incredibly rare P-51.

The camo Ah-! cobra feels like it is more rare of their helicopter pieces.

All of the spitfires seem equally rare, but the one with D-day stripes seems to be a crowd favorite. Whether that is due to the scheme or rarity, I'm not sure. NKK *seems* seems to be the most common, with DWK and ZPA falling in the middle.

Likewise, the Nightfighter Me-262 seems more rare than the regular Yellow 7 release. Or it looks cooler, one of the two.

None of the Starfighters seem especially more rare than the others, but the Tiger Meet Canadian one always seems to be available in higher numbers.

Halakela I think was the rarer of the Lightnings. Or at least is commands a premium now-a-days.

Axis Nightmare
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Axis Nightmare » Wed May 30, 2018 12:04 pm

Like any other collectible commodity, value and rarity don't always equal each other. Supply and demand, desirability and timing play a big part. In a couple other hobbies I've dabbled in, some examples were quite available yet commanded a higher price than a much more scarce example because of being popularly desirable. No matter how many were on the market, the price never went down. A much more scarce example, but not considered as special or desirable could be much harder to find and less available yet not as expensive. Very low production numbers will naturally decide rarity but production numbers aren't always a fool proof guide to price/value or availability on the market.

What makes the P-51 Mustang so special?

"It would do for 8 hours what a Spitfire would do for 45 minutes."

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager