BBI F-16

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
bpxbrian
Corporal
Corporal

BBI F-16

Post by bpxbrian » Wed May 09, 2018 12:05 pm

Hi everyone. Anyone here experience a sticky, almost tacky to the touch paint issue on the nose cone and exhaust of the BBI F-16 in 1:18? Mine has been on display, not in the sun, and noticed just those sections are sticky.

Any safe remedies for fixing it? Thought i'd ask the knowledgeable here.

Thanks!

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: BBI F-16

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed May 09, 2018 2:11 pm

I have not had this issue with my BBI F-16s. I have both the original version and the second repaint. My original one typically hangs in my garage, not in direct sunlight, but in warm dry weather during the summer months. It has had problems with the rubbery plastic used for the missiles bending and sagging over time. I have had similar tack issues on action figures and I think it has something to do with the soft plastics used interacting with the paints applied over them. I would say give the sticky areas a good scrubbing with soap and warm water to try and remove any oils. You may also be able to use paint thinner without damage to the coloration or maybe even rubbing alcohol that has a lower alcohol percentage, but I would try the soap and water first...
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

bpxbrian
Corporal
Corporal

Post by bpxbrian » Wed May 09, 2018 8:47 pm

Thanks. I tried a little soap and water and still was tacky. So, I tried a little Novus plastic cleaner/polish and a microfiber cloth. It improved the condition, but not 100%. It's definitely only on the "softer" rubbery kind of plastic found on the nose cone and exhaust.

I am afraid to try anything too harsh as to not destroy the paint/finish.

flayrah
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by flayrah » Wed May 09, 2018 10:50 pm

This sounds like a material issue and sorry to say there is nothing that can be done. The softer the plastic, the more the chemical composition is prone to becoming unstable over time. If the plastic is painted, the chemicals in the plastic are reacting with the chemicals in the paint, causing even more pronounced results. Environment has something to do with the lifespan, but it depends on the plastic if a dark / light environment; or dry / humid is best, and there's no reasonable way to test. It's a matter of luck. You could try coating the pieces with Armour All (even better, immerse overnight) -that might slow the reaction, but nothing will stop it.

wolf8564
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by wolf8564 » Fri May 11, 2018 2:07 pm

try a little denatured alcohol