Pure 1/18 Scale Curiosity

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Axis Nightmare
Officer - Brigadier General

Pure 1/18 Scale Curiosity

Post by Axis Nightmare » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:39 pm

I saw Light.Inf.Scout's reply to the D-Day Spitfire ad in B.S.T. and it made me consider what would be the one 1/18 plane to top my wish list. I'm talking only about those of brand name produced for retail sale, not customs, oddball promo pieces or those that never made it past prototype. Or think of it this way, one of each mass produced 1/18 plane is in front of you. You can pick out one for your collection, not for resale value, which would you choose?
Some of you have all of them or nearly all of them. Some of us have whittled down our "accumulations" to a few but still would like to have that one missing unit.

:?: OK,this could be a tough decision so let's make it your top one and then pick a first runner-up. :?:

Mine would be:
1. Spitfire ZP*A
2. Spitfire DW*K

This is despite selling off about 1/4 of what I had.

What makes the P-51 Mustang so special?

"It would do for 8 hours what a Spitfire would do for 45 minutes."

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Re: Pure 1/18 Scale Curiosity

Post by rschaap » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:15 pm

My two would be

#1 JSI Grumman F-14A Tomcat USN VF-154 Black Knights, NF100, USS Kitty Hawk, 1998
#2 JSI North American F-86F Sabre USAF 4th FIW, 334th FIS, #52-4513, James Jabara, Korea, 1953

USCGMK2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by USCGMK2 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:35 pm

#1 21st Century Haleakala P-38 Lightning (Had it but offered twice what I paid for it)
#2 BBI Cat Mouth F6F-5 Hellcat

slogan
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by slogan » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:43 pm

Aircraft:

1) F-14 Tomcat
2) Nighthawk Helicopter
Last edited by slogan on Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:28 am

Since we're talking aircraft that were actually produced, I'd have to say the JSI F-14 in the VF-154 Black Knights livery.

At one time back in 2010-2011, there was one that sat around for months at my local Hobbytown USA store and a friend of mine that works there kept saying he'd give me a good discount on the model. However, I never went for it. At the time I had been living with my parents due to some health issues I was having and while I had the first JSI F-14 in VF-84 markings, I felt I didn't have room for another.

In any event, I should have gotten that Black Knights F-14 as they are rare and practically unaffordable now!!
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Light.Inf.Scout

Post by Light.Inf.Scout » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:51 am

1. Black Knights F14
2. Either DWK or ZPA Spitfire
Trade References: JOC, IMMEWW2, Razor17019, KAMIKAZE, caesarbc, momaw nadon, supersonicfifi, Tambo, USMA07, bigsarge, American Grenadier, YT, Crazy Kraut, C00per, AV-8B Driver, cjg476, Buckyroo, aae83

dannyc
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by dannyc » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:11 pm

Tomcat and the hellcat

cnq
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by cnq » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:30 am

I thought that we list the most 2 favorite planes in our collection, any how I have both of the ones below :D

#1 JSI Grumman F-14A Tomcat USN VF-154 Black Knights, NF100, USS Kitty Hawk, 1998 Lighted version
#2 21st Me262B Night Fighter

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:33 pm

It seems like everyone likes their tomcats! I have wanted one for sometime!

Studly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Studly » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:37 pm

For me i would still like to get the F-14 Tomcat and maybe a F-16 , they are the only two i don't have in my Collection.

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:13 am

Studly wrote:For me i would still like to get the F-14 Tomcat and maybe a F-16 , they are the only two i don't have in my Collection.
A couple of years ago I passed on an F-16 for $100. And I passed on an F-14 for under $200. Just wasn't into modern jets. :roll: Both were from a craigslist ad. I did clean-up on a bunch of WWII stuff from the same person.

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

Light.Inf.Scout

Post by Light.Inf.Scout » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:56 am

NIB 1/18 Spitfires (DWK & ZPA) just showed up on ebay for those of you that have the cash.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/21st-Century-T ... SwevlZ-uI6

https://www.ebay.com/itm/21st-Century-T ... Sw88NZ-uI2

Sadly.....I do not lol
Trade References: JOC, IMMEWW2, Razor17019, KAMIKAZE, caesarbc, momaw nadon, supersonicfifi, Tambo, USMA07, bigsarge, American Grenadier, YT, Crazy Kraut, C00per, AV-8B Driver, cjg476, Buckyroo, aae83

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:11 am

Thanks for the tip!

Unfortunately, despite being on my wish list, no 1/18 plane is worth that much nor that important to me. Not even a Black Knights F-14. 8) If they get sold, I will probably give up my pursuit of them. That might indicate they could really be that scarce.

Saving my money for the Militaria show this Friday and Saturday in Wilmington, OH for actual military historical memorabilia. But that's just me. :wink:

http://www.sosovms.com/wilmington

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:32 pm

Light.Inf.Scout wrote:NIB 1/18 Spitfires (DWK & ZPA) just showed up on ebay for those of you that have the cash.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/21st-Century-T ... SwevlZ-uI6

https://www.ebay.com/itm/21st-Century-T ... Sw88NZ-uI2

Sadly.....I do not lol
That is why I’m so glad that I bought the DWK Spitfire about 11 years ago from the now defunct retailer Foxhole Toys (remember them?). Even in 2006 the Spitfires were already becoming rare and expensive. The approximately $60 I paid for the model was well worth it! That plane and the NKK Spitfire I got at Walmart remain some of the prized items in my 1/18 collection.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:15 pm

Today at the show http://www.sosovms.com/wilmington I got a 1944 Arisaka Type 99 Japanese rifle in working condition along with a nicely restored wartime Japanese helmet for $325. That's under the price of one of those planes. The late war model 99 did not have the monopod or the cleaning rod. Everything else is basically the same as the 1940 model. I just need a sling and some 7.7 mm ammo. They were running from $450 to $950. The $950 was a 1940 with rod and monopod still installed. I had bid on one recently in a local auction and got clobbered. It went for $875. I got lucky. This guy wanted to get out of foreign firearms and this was his last one. I always ask permission to handle a firearm. Dealers appreciate that. When I picked it up to look at it he had it priced at $375 crossed out and now $325. I was about to ask if it was in firing condition when he said, "I'll give you a deal on that one. It's heavy and I'm tired of hauling it to shows. You're the only one whose even looked at it today. $200 cash and take it." The second time was the Japanese helmet. They were asking $400 and up depending on condition, liner, straps etc. Even a dented rusty shell, no liner or straps was $300. I even looked at a repro with a cover and netting the guy wanted $350 for since it was a movie prop from "Windtalkers". I spotted the one I got and picked it up. It sure looked expensive, nice liner, three point tie straps. As soon as I picked it up the guy said, "Isn't that a shame." as he was shaking his head. The outside was repainted and that ruined it according to the dealer. It was well done and had me fooled. I figured he still would want $300 or more for it but when he said $125 I asked to him to repeat it. I thought I heard wrong. Heck new repros are almost that much. I was just about resigned to go home and look online for repro helmets for my mannequin. Second time that day I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough. I'd say 90% of the Axis WWII stuff was German and expensive. Japanese items seem much harder to find, just like in 1/6 scale figures! The ride home was pleasant. I couldn't have had expectations of not only finding what I wanted but so much less than what I figured I would have to spend. I'd been saving since February when I didn't go to the Louisville Show of Shows for this show and still have money left! My three hours there were total sensory overload. It would be impossible to digest everything there in one visit. They even had Ultimate Soldier stuff in various scales and a couple of 1/6 figures I left without. I was so happy with what I got that I forgot about them.:oops: I got the two day pass and will go back Saturday. I'll get some pictures. It's on the way to somewhere I was going in the morning.

Anyway, value, like beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :) As much as I'd like to have that ZP*A Spit......
Last edited by Axis Nightmare on Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:08 am

Hey Axis ,

You are going to have a tough time finding an original sling for your Arisaka .

I had quite a few WW2 items before I switched over to WW1 stuff .

For a while I was into Pith helmets about 15-20 years ago.

I had a nice MINT Japanese pith helmet .

And to go along with my small Japanese collection

Arisaka 99 ( short) with untouched mum w/ original rope sling and unmatching bayonet.
Steele helmet 95% paint with nice star no liner.

Back in the day you could pick up the Arisakas all day long for $75 !!!

I sold mine for $125 at a gun show and the sling went for $150 :shock: :shock: :shock:

Original slings are still worth more than the rifle.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:48 pm

Well this thread has strayed far from its original purpose after the issue of prices came up but in order to keep continuity, I'll continue with the drifting...

There were actually some toys at this show. Our friends from WW2.net I think :?:
Very reasonable prices. A contrast to the militaria there.

Nice bunker. Looks like one of those 1/30 scale items.

This guy wanted premium+ prices for the flying hats. The oddball would indicate he may have sold one and replaced the styro head with the unrelated item.

Uniform pieces and sets where there by the hundreds. Patches were there by the thousands.

There were thousands of reference books and War DVD's All seemed too expensive...I'm spoiled by "Half price Books". This is only half that side of the aisle. The other half was taken up just like this and wrapped around the corner into the next aisle! Wonder how much that dealer space cost?

Helmets, Helmets and more Helmets! Hundreds of German helmets were on hand in an infinite variety of styles and applications.

The vast majority of helmets were German. Despite the large number of German helmets, there were no bargains. In the lower left is a Japanese example with a $600 price tag.

What are these goofy looking things? :P

Some firepower. Note the sight. Anti-aircraft?

Looks like some Eastern European helmets in this assortment.

The MP 40 wasn't for sale. Wouldn't have mattered if it was. :wink:

At the end of the day, I had enough money left to buy an expensive Japanese 1/6 figure by 3R. They are above Dragon in quality and an armory of weapons and accessories come with them. The headsculpt was so real I was waiting for it to say something. It was $100. The dealer told me there was a limited addition Japanese paratrooper figure that came out in 1/6 scale and people were paying over $500 for them :shock:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-6-WW2-3R-DAM ... =item2cc93

This is the one I passed on for $100:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3R-IMPERIAL-JA ... item41d2df

My other option was an original bayonet to go with my Type 99 Rifle. Didn't have enough for both. I waffled back and forth for a while and finally bought the bayonet. Maybe I should have bought the figure. I already almost sliced a finger on the bayonet. :roll: As far as the Sling for the Type 99 goes, I was told the same thing. The one guy said an AK-47 sling fits nicely. I don't need an original. It will be spending 99% of its time with my Japanese soldier mannequin. He's not original either... :mrgreen:
Last edited by Axis Nightmare on Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

normandy

Post by normandy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:48 am

Looks like it was a great show, that 1:18 Panther for $80 is a good deal.
The MG 42 with the spider sight (anti-aircraft) is very cool looking along
with all those helmets.
I would have gone with the bayonet as well. :wink:

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:59 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Really? These are bid auction items so they are in fact "going for" this on eBay. 40 bids on one + 54.65 shipping on top. This one could be a bidding war.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Elite-Force-Ze ... 3D20140905

Spitfire NK*K

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorworks-1-1 ... 06d:g:MSkA

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:51 am

quote :

What are these goofy looking things ?

Easy now there buckaroo .

Dems fightin' words.

:D

Do you by chance remember how much that Danish ( Swedish ?) pickelhaube was priced at ?

The large plate one with the flags ?

The 2 Prussian greys in front are priced about $50-$75 too high.

To answer the main subject , I wished that I did not have to sell My Tender Terror and the 2 Aussie Mustangs camo / silver .

But when I got them , I looked at them ( through the clear plastic ) put them back in their shipping boxes and put them on a shelf in my studio/shed.

I never looked at them until I sold them years later.

So if I had them back they would be back on the shelf. :D :?

But my newest pickelhaube fallows me were ever I go .

Coffe table, computer but not the bathroom .

My wife had something to say about that so I am not allowed. :? :? :?

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:46 am

Just seeing if you were paying attention. :D

No, I didn't look at prices on the Picklehaubes. There were quite a few more scattered around the show in twos, threes. That table had the most in one place so I took the picture there.

A guy here in town where I got my Inland Carbine has some that look like graduation caps with a big flat piece on top.

There's a picture in this if you scroll down a bit. :arrow: https://www.facebook.com/Switzer-Arms-G ... 334805194/

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:46 pm

Axis Nightmare wrote:Just seeing if you were paying attention. :D

No, I didn't look at prices on the Picklehaubes. There were quite a few more scattered around the show in twos, threes. That table had the most in one place so I took the picture there.

A guy here in town where I got my Inland Carbine has some that look like graduation caps with a big flat piece on top.

There's a picture in this if you scroll down a bit. :arrow: https://www.facebook.com/Switzer-Arms-G ... 334805194/
Those are called uhlans and I like them as well.

How are his prices ?

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:59 pm

pickelhaube wrote:
Those are called uhlans and I like them as well.

How are his prices ?
He's mostly a gun guy. I got a great 1944 Inland carbine for a good price from him. His prices on helmets and other stuff are kinda high. Back when I was looking for an original German helmet, I was stunned at the prices he was asking. I had to ask how much since they weren't priced. I guess he was in line with the sticker shock at the show. He's a member of the club that put on the show but I don't recall seeing him there. I get the impression he doesn't really care if he sells the non gun stuff since he doesn't have most of it priced and it is just scattered in piles in the front room. He keeps all the firearms in the back room. I'll stop in there sometime and make a full report. :salute:

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:48 am

Well continuing to get off subject I called your guy .

He said that he sold the Uhlan and the felt with black bills ( pictures in his face book) at a recient show .

I asked if he had any more pickelhaubes and he said he has one left a standard wartime gray metal EM for $750 :shock:

They sell all day long for $350-$450.

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:29 am

Back on topic. Normandy said the Panther in the picture was a good deal at $80. I have on display 1/18 planes and vehicles I'd part with at a fraction of the prices on eBay for in box items. I just don't want the hassles of shipping and hate the thought of charging the outrageous costs therein. Since retiring, I no longer have access to the boxes and packing materials I used to save from the dumpster and bring home. I have 5 planes still in box and a couple of Jeeps and a Kubel only because I have no where to display them at the moment and it is easy storage until then. I have over 40 vehicles (1/18) displayed vs. three in box. Mint in box to me isn't worth the big premium unless you are looking at a put it in a closet and forget about it investment. I guess the difference is the collector rather than the displayer. It wouldn't make sense to pay a big premium for M.I.B. only to open it and display it. M.I.B. can hide flaws, damage and notorious QC issues too.

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager