1/18 scale prices?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Jnewboy
Officer - Brigadier General

1/18 scale prices?

Post by Jnewboy » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:47 pm

As I scroll through eBay I see lots of 1/18 scale planes and other stuff all four pretty high prices. There is the occasional good deal or mislabeled item but it seems like the prices of stayed pretty high. It's strange to me to think that this is true do to so many people getting out of the hobby or so they say. What do you guys think?

mikeg

Re: 1/18 scale prices?

Post by mikeg » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:22 am

Yep, I'll occasionally fill in an empty 1/18 AC space with a scheme I ignored in the past- I don't go for the NIB stuff. The 85-120.00 or so pricing for displayed stuff is sufficiently seductive, but the 150-300.00 pricing for non-customized piston engined AC is not my thing.....a lottery win or unexpected inheritance may change that, though.

I have actually filled in some spaces for the prices I like if your just patient enough.

When people say they are getting out of the hobby or lose interest, that probably means they just start to ignore their collection and let it gather dust, not necessarily sell it all off.
I feel that way most of the time

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:27 am

Jnewboy wrote:As I scroll through eBay I see lots of 1/18 scale planes and other stuff all four pretty high prices. There is the occasional good deal or mislabeled item but it seems like the prices of stayed pretty high. It's strange to me to think that this is true do to so many people getting out of the hobby or so they say. What do you guys think?
Askin' and gettin' are two different animals. People on Craigslist quote all the time that things are "going for" $XXX on eBay when often that 's just the asking price. Look how many buy it nows are on there that no one is buying now because they are stupid high priced or have absurd shipping costs. I'm sure some dealers use the trick of a good price on the item but make a profit on higher than necessary shipping cost. EBay is such a huge market that they can hold out for that one in many thousands that do have unlimited funds or for whatever reason desperately are on a quest for a certain item. Just my 2 cents. :wink:

What makes the P-51 Mustang so special?

"It would do for 8 hours what a Spitfire would do for 45 minutes."

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:32 pm

I've noticed the high prices as well, but sort of expect we'll see prices come down and an increase in inventory as we near the holiday season and more people start selling stuff on eBay. It seems like the summer months are the doldrums for eBay... After that golden age of low prices for these models, it gets hard to justify $150 for something I got at Walmart for $40. Then again, we're getting to nearly 10 years after 21c folded and they never made a ton of the 1/18 or 1/32 models when compared to what other toy manufacturers (like Hasbro) did with their various lines, so these models are bound to get more an more limited as time goes on. The other thing that gets annoying is that a lot of the remaining stock tends to be the leftover items with poor QC - not always, but more often than not - and again its hard to justify the high prices for something that is far from perfect...
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."