F-86 JSI-Merit vs. 21st Century?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Robc988
Corporal
Corporal

F-86 JSI-Merit vs. 21st Century?

Post by Robc988 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:58 am

Hey guys,I need a quick comparison of the two. I’m trying to find two sabres and I’m clueless as to what the differences are and need information quick if that makes sense. Does anyone know anyone online dealers that still have them.? They seem to all have disappeared.
Thanks a bunch,
Rob

[CAT]CplSlade
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: F-86 JSI-Merit vs. 21st Century?

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:07 am

I have one by 21st that I no longer need, complete except one of the mlg doors is missing. I think there is no real difference between the two other than paint schemes.

Light.Inf.Scout

Post by Light.Inf.Scout » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:24 am

Aikens Airplanes has 1 left....229.95
Trade References: JOC, IMMEWW2, Razor17019, KAMIKAZE, caesarbc, momaw nadon, supersonicfifi, Tambo, USMA07, bigsarge, American Grenadier, YT, Crazy Kraut, C00per, AV-8B Driver, cjg476, Buckyroo, aae83

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:59 am

Robc988, the JSI and 21st Century F-86 Sabers are nearly identical with only minor differences in terms of tooling, paint work, and accessories included. Probably the most notable difference is that the 21st model has a figure whereas the JSI model does not. I have both versions and here is a list of the similarities and differences:

Overall tooling (fuselage, wings, stabilizers, etc.) are the same between each model. The21st model has weights in the nose so the plane sits on its gear without tipping over; the JSI plane does not have the weighted nose.

Cockpit details are nearly the same, save I think the 21st model had the instruments better detailed. The 21st model also has a clear gunsight whereas on the JSI plane it is unpainted black plastic. Both have the cloth seatbelts.

Gun bays open on each model and have identical details with the .50 caliber machine guns.

Landing gear bays were retooled on the JSI Saber so it has proper gear bays. On the 21st model they are pretty much undetailed spaces but the JSI model has the bays tooled, painted and detailed. The inside of the air breaks are also painted on the JSI model and not on the 21st model. The retooled landing gear bays are the most significant difference in terms of tooling between the two F-86 models.

In terms of accessories, both models come with the drop tanks and sidewinder missiles. The missiles on the JSI model have been painted whereas on the 21st model they were just plain white. The JSI model also comes with orange intake cover pieces.

The 21st Saber includes a pilot figure with parachute and O2 mask parts. The JSI model does not come with a figure.

In terms of paint applications, the JSI plane has more stenciling and other smaller markings than the 21c model. The JSI plane also has basic weathering detailed, such as charring around the gun ports and jet exhaust as well as differences in shade of silver paint on some panels. The yellow/black ID stripes run continuously around the wing on the JSI Saber (which is historically correct) whereas on the 21st plane they were only included on the upper wing surface for some reason. A lot of the JSI F-86s I saw had fuzzy black borders on the ID stripes; a 21st model with good QC tended to have the correct solid lines. Basically the JSI paint work was sloppier on the ID markings than on the 21st model, though it’s safe to expect you will find paint errors on either company’s products.

Now if you want things to get more confusing, there is also a 1/18 scale F-86 made by Admiral Toys (AT). That model predates the 21st F-86 by more than a year and represents an earlier F-86A with working leading edge slats whereas the 21st/JSI model is an F-86F where the slats were removed. The AT F-86 is a much simpler tooling and the 21st model was superior in terms of detail and functionality. AT did at least a couple USAF F-86s and a Herman Bundswher Luftwaffe scheme. The figure that came with the AT F-86 is horrendous.

Hope all this helps :D
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Robc988
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Robc988 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:13 pm

Thank you very much for the detailed information!:)
Rob