1/18 Avenger folding and unfolding wings

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
dcmacharlie
Corporal
Corporal

1/18 Avenger folding and unfolding wings

Post by dcmacharlie » Fri May 05, 2017 3:20 pm

Help,I lost my instructions for folding and locking and unfolding and locking the wings for flight,I don't want to force any parts and risk breaking something, if someone could post me some pictures of how to do it correctly I would appreciate it,I was going to attach pictures but can not for the life of me figure photobucket out, I'm going to take some pictures with my camera and then try downloading, tried using my phones camera and don't know what I'm doing wrong but can not get pictures to transfer to this post, my camera battery is dead so after it charges I'll take some pictures and use my computer to download not my tablet, could be that's the problem

Arpia IV
Corporal
Corporal

Re: 1/18 Avenger folding and unfolding wings

Post by Arpia IV » Fri May 05, 2017 7:41 pm

I found this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-JcZTcKAQI

And despite that it is not much information, it gives some clues in how to do what you ask. Tomorrow I'll check mine that is boxed to see if still have the instructions, if so, I'll post pics.

dcmacharlie
Corporal
Corporal

Post by dcmacharlie » Fri May 05, 2017 8:11 pm

Thank you Apia lV ,I had looked at all the YouTube videos I could find including the one you mentioned and it doesn't really show how to fold and unfold, so after hours looking I thought I would ask fellow members that might have the instructions that came in the box, I'm hoping you do thank you for looking ,take care

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri May 05, 2017 8:43 pm

On the 21c Avenger (and likely the soon-to-be Flight Wing ones), if the wing is in the extended position, it is relatively simple to fold.

First, ensure the landing gear are down and locked.

Second, lower the small door on the underside of the wing (this acts sort of as a support for the wing in the extended position, though it isn't very effective).

Third, working from the trailing edge of the wing towards the leading edge, carefully disengage the small tabs on the outer part of the wingwing from the inner part of the wing wing. You should feel the wing begin to rotate on its hinge now.

Fourth, begin to rotate the wing to the folded position. It will bend up and back in a semi-circular motion. Always do this carefully!

Fifth, as you move the wing into the folded position, you will feel a slight bit of resistance - keep pushing until you hear a slight "pop" and the wing stays in the folded position.

To unfold the wings, simply follow the above steps in reverse.

The reason for the slight resistance and "pop" when folding the wing is that there is a ball-shaped protrusion on one part of the hinge that fits into a socket type intrusion on the other to secure the wing in the folded position. You should not need a lot of force to lock the wing in the folded position. This is always the scariest part for me as it feels almost like the hinge might break, but if you are careful, everything will be just fine.

IMHO, the wing hinges are the biggest flaw with the 21c Avenger. 21c was trying to go the accurate route with the folding mechanism, but did not make the hinge very robust nor provide a way to get the wing to hold the proper dihedral. They would have been far more prudent to have simply made the wings separate pieces with small supports to display them either folded or extended. It would have meant stronger wings!
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

dcmacharlie
Corporal
Corporal

Post by dcmacharlie » Fri May 05, 2017 9:11 pm

Thank you for the detailed instructions, that's what I was hoping for, the members on this forum are always willing to help, that's what makes this forum one of the best if not the best
thanks again tmanthegreat

Arpia IV
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Arpia IV » Sat May 06, 2017 10:13 am

Hi,
I found it

temporary upload image

And this general instructions may be also helpful

temporary upload image

temporary upload image

You gave me an excuse to explore my forgotten closet and take out my treasures to enjoy them this weekend :)

dcmacharlie
Corporal
Corporal

Post by dcmacharlie » Sat May 06, 2017 11:24 am

Thank you Apia lV, that is way cool ,exactly what I needed, going to print it out for sure

Arpia IV
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Arpia IV » Sat May 06, 2017 4:06 pm

dcmacharlie wrote:Thank you Apia lV, that is way cool ,exactly what I needed, going to print it out for sure
You're welcome