NEW AVENGERS FROM CHINA??!!!!!!

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
dragon53
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: NEW AVENGERS FROM CHINA??!!!!!!

Post by dragon53 » Fri May 12, 2017 5:07 pm

TMANTHEGREAT:

UPS delivered my Avenger just as I was typing this. Aikens has theirs for 10% off now---apparently to compete with Diecastairplane, but they say their Avenger has a "$20.00 (Fixed shipping cost)", so I don't know if you add another item for $25 or so would get over their free $200 shipping works with the Avenger.
I hope you post your review of the Avenger soon.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun May 14, 2017 2:12 pm

I had time to unbox the Flight Wing Bush Avenger today. The overally way it is packed is similar to the 21c planes (wire-twist ties securing it to a plastic tray reinforced with a cardboard insert) but for some reason, the FW Avenger seemed better tied down and the plastic bags really helped keep the parts mostly blemish-free. Crew figures have decent paint applications as well.

Torpedo, rockets, and screws were inside the tray.

Assembly was identical to the 21c Avengers where you insert the four screws and cover them with caps. The wing hinges appear identical to the 21c planes. I like the fact that the wings were secured in the extended position and unlike the 21c Avengers, didn't seem to be folding while still in the box. Landing gear extend/retract without issue and the mains still have the spring-loaded support tabs. The main canopy appears to be glued on - or at least wouldn't easily pry off on my model - but not big worry as it sits flush on the fuselage. The turret rotates and elevates smoothly and the bubble pulls off so you can insert figures. The interior has the same details, equipment, and controls.

But through and through, this plane is identical to the 21c planes. No significant tooling changes.

All assembled:

Unfortunately, since the tooling is identical to the 21c Avengers, so are the primary issues, including the wing sag :? Sag is really not any different than on the 21c Avengers, as my pic shows below. That was not rectified and will have to be fixed with some customization if one chooses to do so...

Please note I tried to reduce the wing sag on my 21c Bunker Hill Avenger by gluing a thin piece of plastic in the wing roots to push the wings up and more level.

Other thoughts:

The paint applications are generally good, and the subtle weathering really adds a lot to the overall looks of the plane. However, the FW Avenger lacks a lot of the little detail stenciling that is present on the 21c Avengers (you know - markings like warnings, life raft storage, arrows, etc.) I found that interesting as the FW P-51s actually had more detail stenciling than the 21c versions did, but its no great loss to me. They did include George Bush's name beneath the cockpit, which I like.

Another issues is that the main fuselage national insignia seems to have some distortion. I think this may be a production-wide issue as both insignia on my plane have it (distortions of this marking were also common on the 21c planes as well). Granted that is a hard part to paint given the shape of the fuselage heading towards the tail.

Here's a another comparison shot with a 21c Avenger:

Overall, the Flight Wing Avenger is basically a repaint of the 21c plane and does not include any significant changes. If you can get yours for under the $219 list price, it is worth it, since I know many of us have long desired a George Bush Avenger. I'm glad I saved some $40 off the overall price and am happy to add another model with significant historical value to my collection :D
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Sun May 14, 2017 3:20 pm

TMANTHEGREAT:

Good review---too bad the wings still sag.
Mine is still in the box because I have no room for it. I want to put my Bunker Hill Avenger in storage to make room for the Bush Avenger, but I have so many models in storage, I have no idea where the Bunker Hill Avenger box is.
I wonder how Flight Wings straightened the sagging wings out in their PR photos---apparently they "eliminated" the sag by photographing the Avenger from above so the sag isn't obvious. :roll:

Buckyroo
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Buckyroo » Sat May 20, 2017 5:53 am

I received mine yesterday and it will stay in the box for a while.

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:16 pm

Today is George HW Bush's 93rd birthday.

(At last count, I've seen seven dealers selling the Bush Avenger)

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:29 am

This was definitely NOT and Aiken's-only exclusive. My local Hobbytown even got a couple in a few weeks ago.

BTW, I was able to devise a way to keep the wing dihedral at least flat without any significant modification to the model... I cut small .5" strips of 0.20" thick clear polyester plastic, folded them over, and wedged them into the gap on the underside of the wing just forward of the little door that folds down. The wings were locked in the extended position when I did this. The tabs are not glued and can be removed easily in case I want to fold the wings.

The Avenger's wings now appear pretty much level and look a little better than the sag they initially had 8)

Before Modification:

After Modification:

Closeup showing tab placement:

Tabs are hard to see:

21c (and later Flight Wing) could have easily corrected the wing sag problem had they just made the underside of the wing a few millimeters longer!
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:52 pm

TMANTHEGREAT:

Thanks for the suggestion about fixing the flopping wings. I'll try it one day. Mine is still in the box. :roll:

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:26 am

Thanks for the tips Tman, I ordered two with a coupon (or some kind of sale) from Aiken's. One is for a really big fan of the Bush family. They look fantastic in the box and your OOB pics do them justice. It's very cool to see his name on the side and the figure with his headsculpt.

Sorry to hear they are not as exclusive as original stated on Aiken's website: "TBF Avenger X 2 VT-51 USS San Jacinto, 1944, Lt. George Bush - Aiken`s Exclusive!".

Hopefully the 330 total made, just not limited to Aiken's, is still accurate: "Extremely Low Production Quantity of 330 Pieces Worldwide." Either way that's still a pretty low run on a really cool scheme with solid history.

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:58 am

Monkey Depot no longer is offering the Avenger. Does that mean there are no more available or they weren't getting any bites on their offer? :?

What makes the P-51 Mustang so special?

"It would do for 8 hours what a Spitfire would do for 45 minutes."

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:50 pm

AXIS NIGHTMARE:

I did a random check and the Bush Avenger is still available at Flying Mule, Diecastairplane, Aikens and two on ebay....but I don't know Monkey Depot's situation.

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:54 pm

The Bush Avenger is no longer available at Flying Mule.

gliderdwm
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by gliderdwm » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:14 pm

So i saw on Ebay a 1/18 flight wing Midway VT-8 paint scheme so i bought it.
Said on the auction limited release not released in the U.S.
Anybody here get one?