BBI Kiowa question

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Winterstar
Sergeant
Sergeant

BBI Kiowa question

Post by Winterstar » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:57 pm

Other than pain scheme, were there any changes between the various BBI Kiowa releases?

Also, how has blade droop been on the smaller birds.

Doing research for Christmas gifts =)

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: BBI Kiowa question

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:06 am

I had both versions of the Kiowa at one time. Other than paint, there were no significant differences. Both came with the same accessories as well: 2x rocket pods, 2x Stinger Missiles, 1x .50 cal MG & ammo box, 1x pilot figure. The Kiowa has gone way up in value since its 2005 release. Hope you can find one for cheap :D
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:12 am

I'm double posting, but figured I'd post some pictures here for everyone's benefit...

The picture below shows the level of rotor sag on my S1 Kiowa after 11 years. I got this new in 2005 and have had it ever since. Please note it is usually stored in a cabinet with the blades removed, but BBI did use a harder plastic for the rotors than on the Blackhawk and Apache so they do not seem to sag as much.

However, there is a significant issue with the blades: they mount facing the wrong way! The leading edge should be facing in the counterclockwise direction, but instead they face clockwise. This is the same for both the S1 and S2 Kiowas. There is also a large ""Do Not Interrupt the Propeller In Motion" printed on two of the blades. That stenciling is not accurate and is more a warning for young children playing with the toy... Both these issues can be fixed, but I've never undertaken it with my Kiowa.

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

teebird
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by teebird » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:47 pm

Holy smokes!!??!? The rotors are molded in the wrong direction of rotation? I've never even looked at that. Jeez major goof up on that model.... My blades on mine are all stored off the model as the Apache and Blackhawks sagged out and deformed on my oldest of those:( I'm considering copying what Pickel has done on the hind blades and making some new Apache and Blackhawks blades from resin with internal brass structure... Almost all of my choppers blades are deformed and crappy now:(