1/6 ITEMS

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Axis Nightmare
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: 1/6 ITEMS

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:34 am

Modifying the GI Joe Jeep...

In 2002, Hasbro came out with a 1941 slat grill Jeep that was heads and shoulders above their usual toy quality. It was better in several ways than the competition's 21st Century example and I believe Hasbro saw a need to meet or exceed this new on the scene challenger. They made it in several versions, a desert tan, a standard OD Army Jeep that was weathered and another with the canvas top that was factory fresh clean. In the auction where I scored well, one lot had a canvas top version. My first instinct was to pass it on but I became kinda fond of it. It was 100% complete. I was particularly impressed with the look of the top and the dashboard which actually had recessed gauges with clear covers as well as nice, legible placards very much like the real deal. Not even my dragon Kubelwagens have authentic gauges like that. Since it had a few pluses, I accessed what it would take to modify it enough to at least represent more of a model and less of a toy.

The worst part of the jeep was the front end. Hasbro had to still keep in mind this was going to be a toy and installed a bulky reinforced chassis to hopefully save the Jeep from its first collision with a table leg that might break off the front bumper as I have it now.

Here's a picture of a stock example missing the tools which is usually how you find them along with missing the gas can, having the mirror broken off and the steering wheel mangled from cramming a figure in the driver's seat.. You can see part of the extra bracing under the grill for the front end that simply doesn't exist on a real Jeep. The seats were too light in color so I painted them a pale armor green like canvas ones I've seen. I easily buffed off the Army markings with 000 steel wool without effecting the plastic underneath.

Here's the bulky bracing I removed that doesn't exist on a Jeep.

All that bulky bracing served the dual purpose of hiding lack of proper detail of the steering rods and transmission. The steering rods were only a flat plastic strip. I had to modify the steering to at least represent it better since it would now be visible if not prominent. Same for the transmission which was only the bottom half. I cut off the rear wheel transmission which was also just the bottom half and not visible and flipped it over to make the missing top half of the front. Later I fashioned a representation of the front leaf springs and shock absorbers which again could be seen from certain angles but were not prominent. In no way were the faults "corrected" but I was successful in creating the illusion it was more a model than a toy. It's about all you can do with these without almost starting from scratch and spending a fortune on aftermarket accessories.

I had to dirty it up since it came spotless and shiny. Also the pioneer tool were just magically attached to the side of the jeep so I fashioned attachments and straps more like the real thing. Here it is out in bright sun with a super nice Soldier Story Marine. The leaf springs are barely visible and usually aren't noticed on a real example so I just represented the front halves for angles where they may be seen. Compare the transformation with the stock picture above.

What makes the P-51 Mustang so special?

"It would do for 8 hours what a Spitfire would do for 45 minutes."

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:48 pm

....Continued from the 1/16 tanks forum because it's getting way off topic. It's connection was to the amazing diorama in that forum and my attempt to do a big scene, only in 1/6. So here are some progress pictures of the structure.....

Ground floor interior. A German soldier is relaxing on a scratch built table near the scratch built ladder for size reference.

Exterior showing battle damage and busted out dirty window pane. That blue is the color that particular rigid styrofoam packing for refrigeration equipment comes in so I just dirtied it up and left it as a contrast color for the raw concrete exposed from damage.

Upper floor nearing completion to be installed over the lower floor. No steps so that's why the ladder was needed. Added rusty rebar jutting out of the concrete where it broke off. The floors are thinner white rigid sheets of a more classic styrofoam painted as needed.

....to be continued.....

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

normandy

Post by normandy » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:28 pm

That is looking great Dennis! I know Flyboy had done many styrofoam buildings.
Its a nice light weight material for dioramas. I'll keep watching.

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:32 am

Still a major WIP, I'm tinkering around with the concept of a US patrol taking cover in the wrecked building while the German halftrack and accompanying infantry pass by. They don't have the firepower to engage so they must just wait it out. The roles could easily be reversed with say, Germans occupying the building with significant firepower to ambush a passing squad of Americans. Long way to go to finish the building so I'm just trying to get some visuals. Might change it up a little.

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

normandy

Post by normandy » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:49 pm

Looks good Axis, I have to keep reminding myself this is 1:6...its big.
I like the idea, one side or the other taking cover in the building and
waiting for the danger to pass. Very cool!

Dennis I have a question...was rebar used in European building construction of the time?
I don't know just asking.
This diorama is going to be great :!:

Here is a link to a 1:16/1:18 diorama Panzer Paul did a while ago...

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=23761&p=247581

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:43 pm

Rebar was widely used in Europe and America since the 1850's. I didn't know that until I just looked it up. I was sweating that one for a minute! :lol:

I seem to recall seeing it in bomb damage photos in European cities but for the life of me can't find any photos now. :roll:

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

normandy

Post by normandy » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:33 am

Thanks for the information regarding the rebar, didn't know that.
:shock: hey in that last pic I see one of your famous palm trees, this
dio in the Mediterranean?

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:42 am

No, It's a winter Europe scheme. Took some shots that had odd stuff in the background that I deleted. One had my Japanese mannequin looming over the scene like a giant. One had my German mannequin shown in the background through the window like he was standing right outside the building. When I saw the palm tree show up in the picture I thought oh well, no one will notice it. Wrong!

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:48 pm

Progress continues but I'm running into project fatigue. I should be familiar with how things slow to a glacier movement when it comes down to tiny details. I see it all the time at the Museum in the restorations. Been working on landscape mostly. Very tedious and tough to get the effect I'm after. Also began to dirty up the troopers. They're way too clean for tromping around and diving for cover in sloppy winter conditions. Knees, elbows, butts, boots and sleeves take a lot of abuse. "Combat!" often over did the facial dirt but a subtle amount takes away that fresh shaven cadet look. Had lots of practice on my full sized mannequins. Will post some more pictures soon.....
Last edited by Axis Nightmare on Fri May 08, 2020 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:26 pm

Here's some progress pictures on the landscape and scenery. I wanted to show a March, 1945 late winter scene where there's still some unmelted snow but mostly mud and lifeless foliage. The structure where the G.I.s are taking cover will be separated from the German Halftrack by a small courtyard, then the remnants of a garden followed by a nearly full muddy drainage ditch and a scrub and brush area next to the wall at the roadway. The whole scene actually only represents about 60-70ft. scaled up from 1/6. I'm getting carried away a little. No, make that a lot. Seems the more I add inspires even more I want to add. I've already gone way beyond the original simple plan. The lighting wasn't the best but was necessary for the detail in the pictures and will be subdued for display. Hope to be "finished' by May 1 when the stay at home restrictions are lifted here. Not sure what "finished" really is as there will always be one more thing.

EDIT: Just thought of a couple more things so forget May 1 completion though it will be close.

Last edited by Axis Nightmare on Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:48 am

Dirtying up the peachy glowing faces and sparkling helmets of my troopers...

Can't walk and crawl around in the mud without getting messy so muddy boots, knees and elbows are added....

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Mon May 04, 2020 2:19 pm

Two of my favorite German figures will be in the scene....along with quite a few more, most in appropriate garb for the winter.

Just finished ruining the factory fresh finish on my Dragon Kubelwagen which will be traveling with the halftrack

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon May 04, 2020 8:23 pm

That Kubelwagen is looking really nice, Axis, as are the figures 8)
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Wed May 06, 2020 2:06 pm

Continuing the process....

Finished the metal door to the structure complete with working hinges and latch which came from an old wooden birdcage door.

The mud and junk filled shell crater from the blast that took out the rear of the structure.

Still tinkering with various set ups for the scene. Here a trooper is down on his knees peering through the gate at the Germans on the road. The gate is from that same bird house and was modified for my purposes with a couple finials and a crest added. It was the source for the hinges and latch for the structure door.

A wider angle shot...

Added some details to the structure where either the power or communication lines were cut long ago. It's something seen often in European war photos.

To be continued.....

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu May 07, 2020 8:54 am

Axis, that is simply some amazing work on that building/diorama! And to think it’s in massive 1/6 scale...
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Thu May 07, 2020 2:40 pm

Thanks Tman! It's been my deep dive distraction from the Museum being shut down and all the virus drama. I've been wanting to do something like this after seeing the talent at the annual 1/6 shows. That amazing 1/16/1/18 diorama post pushed me over the top. I work on it mostly in the evenings while listening to my favorite local talk show host on the radio. We've had rotten weather most of the Spring with rain or colder than normal temperatures so indoor activities came in handy. Getting close to a final product and will post pictures. I made it of components so it can be changed around or made smaller. It tripled in size since my original plan. There's no room left to expand. The belligerents can be reversed with the Germans occupying the structure. I could even surround the structure with tropical foliage and have it occupied by Japanese and have a Pacific scene but that would be a lot of work, maybe this winter? I realize now how much time and projects I had invested in the Museum. Even being retired, I never would have had time for such a large diorama just for fun if we were preparing for the Gala or the other events.

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sat May 09, 2020 5:34 am

Some of these figures are scary realistic looking...

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Folkwulfe » Wed May 13, 2020 4:32 pm

US Army MP Corps combat veteran Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Fri May 15, 2020 10:32 am

I see a lot of great detail work in those pictures! Man, you nailed it on both the copter and the Pak. I have the stock Dragon cannon I thought was good enough right out of the box. Not anymore. There are so many opportunities with 1/6.

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sat May 16, 2020 9:49 am

Starting to finalize my scene. Here, like any good officer, the Lieutenant is having his trooper stick his neck out to see what's out there.

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sat May 16, 2020 11:26 am

Still need to find an inside door handle but other than that, the structure part is complete with debris and articles scattered about and troopers in place.

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sat May 16, 2020 5:51 pm

Inspired by my boyhood favorite TV series "Combat!" I've depicted a scene like so often took place on the show. Seemed whenever the squad would hear vehicles coming, they would take cover in any nearby structure. Almost without exception, the Germans would choose that exact place to stop and take a break, get their bearings or decide to hole up in the same structure. The squad would watch as long as they could hoping the Germans would move on but it usually ended up in a fire fight. The squad usually vanquished all the Germans while maybe losing one new guy and maybe a regular getting wounded....for about the 40th time in the series. The Germans fell for a flanking movement every time. They also would stand up or run out in the open in order to get shot.
It was television.

Here the squad has taken shelter in a building bombed out during the 1940 blitz. The shell crater has long ago filled up with mud, debris and water. Three troopers were caught outside and took positions behind the wall with the gate. The other five had just been settling in and now are watching the Germans as they relax and discuss what they will do next not knowing they're being watched by their enemy. The Germans here are from that officer collecting stragglers, men separated from their units and any other available men to form an ad-hoc Kampfgruppe to blunt the American advance. That's my excuse for the different unit badges the purist might notice. It's late in the war and unit integrity was less disciplined out of necessity. I considered having one German that hopped over the wall to relieve himself since they had stopped to stretch their legs and get their bearings. I may still add such a figure.

Last edited by Axis Nightmare on Sun May 17, 2020 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Folkwulfe » Sun May 17, 2020 3:48 pm

Nice work Axis....you have too much detail to take in at one sitting. BRAVO!

The helo was a project I did some years ago. I couldn't stand the detail failure 21C did on "Miss Klaud IV"...Vietnam Cayuse helos were Hugh's 500 A models, not D models. They just repainted the Littlebird....FOUL! There's more to the conversion than you see in the pictures. The interior was completely gone through to make it as close to the A model as I could make it. Everything in the rear deck is scratch built. The front received a photo realistic dash and radio bank, seats and belts, and rudder pedals. The exterior had the "T" tail converted to a "V" tail, metal skids and legs, correct antennas, and....the hardest part...a brass 4-blade hub for strength. Then I had to find accurate chicken-plate body armor and correct HGU 3P helmets. Paint and new markings and there you have it.

The Pak 40 was built from the kit version with details added from museum pics I could find.

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sun May 17, 2020 4:45 pm

I could tell enough from the pictures the detail work that was done. If that copter was in an outdoor scene it would pass for the real thing. I must try to improve my Pak 38 to get the finish closer to the one you have on your cannon. Very inspirational.

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Folkwulfe » Sun May 17, 2020 5:25 pm

Are you familiar with counter shading as a base coat? I used that and grime washes over the German Dessert yellow.