Jnewboy Customs New Update 9/17/16

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Jnewboy
Officer - Brigadier General

Jnewboy Customs New Update 9/17/16

Post by Jnewboy » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:16 pm

Hey Guys, it has been some time since Ive even been on here or had a second to kill. Life is a roller coaster and Ive been on a crazy ride as of late. As some of you know I started teaching (social science of course :wink: ) and had the opportunity to get my dream job but with it comes more responsibility and coaching football. Right now Im sleeping 6hrs a night, not seeing my kids much and my wife and I are like two ships going by each other in the dark...

Right now Im making slow progress but it will all get done. My word is my bond. I have learned my lessons on Hydrospan and now literally can make any 1/48 model into 1/18.

The Lippish body was an attempt at doing 2sided molds to save time but it wont work.

1. A solid resin 1/18 plane is to heavy and takes to much resin.
2. Its impossible to not have some warping

So I am redoing the body halves. I know that many of you dont want to hear that but I cant put something out that is wrong. No one wants me to start it over less than I do but it must be right.

On a brighter note I have the Rufe floats for the Zero at full size in my tank! I need to cast them when I have a second but I wont offer the kit until I am squared up with those who have Lippish orders.

THEN>>>>

I am going to cast the:

La-5
I-16
Natter
Triebflugel
Do-335

All at once., why, I have found Hydro span has a short shelf life and its better to use a batch all at once, then just order another when ready.

Also I see that Hitler may have been right and Merit is never going to produce the Fw-190a.... I have the Skyworks kit and could produce it... But at the cost of Fw-190d's maybe a complete kit would make more cents?

Next year I would like to produce a two engine plane, Do-17, Mosquito or He-219 maybe?
Last edited by Jnewboy on Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Studly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Re: Jnewboy Customs Update

Post by Studly » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:22 pm

G'day Mate good to see you back. :D I am hanging out to see your La-5. :shock:

Cheers
Studly

normandy

Post by normandy » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:29 am

Thanks for the update Jon!

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:44 am

Sounds exciting. I will keep my fingers crossed.

flayrah
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by flayrah » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:27 pm

Great update. Rufe floats sound promising. My vote for twin engine is Mossie. My RAF crew has been waiting years to have an aircraft assigned to them.

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:31 pm

Im taking a few minutes today to stop work and post an update as I dont want any of you to think I have fallen off the grid and never plan on following through with Hydrospan or other projects.

I have to say I have always had an amazing group of supporters here, both with technical know-how and those who invest hundreds into projects that they know may take awhile to fulfill. I cherish the trust that takes and want you guys to all know what it means to me, although there is always a doubting Thomas here and there... :wink:

Paul your armor is slowly being cranked out! Paul has been my best customer for some time and I have had these two 1/18 Jagdpanthers and this 1/18 Ostwind on my bench for far too long, the first coat of the camo has gone on (Faded Dunkelgelb).

Also the Rufe floats are done! here is a pic of one half before I cast it. You can see the detail panel lines still! 8)

The Lippish body is still in the tank but its getting close!

Thanks Guys!

CanberraPaul
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: Jnewboy Customs New Update 9/17/16

Post by CanberraPaul » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:09 pm

They look like they are coming along great Mate!!!

I don't know how you find the time with teaching, football coaching and a number of kids to look after - I tip my hat off to you Jon!!

I have always admired American football and find it very interesting and technical. We Australians have the occasional player go to play in the top level over in the US.

USCGMK2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by USCGMK2 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:03 pm

What all do you have planned for the Rufe set up? Are you going to do the tail end also?

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:07 pm

Both sides need to be hollowed out and when fit is perfect recast for the final casting. Ill do the side pylons as one solid piece.

The side pylons and the main pylon will look great!

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:48 pm

Hey Jon. What master did you use for the Rufe floats? How accurate are they in terms of scale size and general faithfulness to the real thing?
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:05 pm

I used Tamiya's 1/48 Rufe, cast the floats, poured the hydrospan, 60% increase, cast that, 2nd pour of hydrospan, another 60% increase. Now its at 1/18

I'll try to get some time to pour resin into the new mold and get a rough resin prototype and take a picture of it being held up to the zero to give everyone a rough idea of what the final will look like.

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:17 pm

Ok cool. I've always wanted to have a 1/18 Rufe! When will you be releasing price details?
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:51 pm

Might be the first time 1/18 gets something before 1/32 does.