1/18 Elite Force LAV-25 in action

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

1/18 Elite Force LAV-25 in action

Post by granch » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:25 am

Just had the opportunity to make this shot, hope you'll enjoy!

slogan
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: 1/18 Elite Force LAV-25 in action

Post by slogan » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:05 pm

Great action photo.
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

normandy
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by normandy » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:20 pm

Nice picture Granch!! The natural terrain makes it look real.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:28 am

Great pics :D

The BBI LAV-25 is a nice vehicle... But you need to get some more stowage in the turret basket and draped along the sides of your vehicles, granch :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

grockwood
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by grockwood » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:18 am

Nice job of displaying your vehicles and troops. It must take hours to place and poise each figure.

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:48 pm

Thanks guys for your comments.
grockwood, it doesn't take so much time to display the figures. I drove needles into the feet of each figures to keep them standing. The most difficult is to find the right terrain and point of view.
tmanthegreat, I agree with you. But where can I find modern stuff that doesn't look too toyish or too old like the stowage for tanks of the 2nd world war period? Help welcome...

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:47 pm

granch wrote:tmanthegreat, I agree with you. But where can I find modern stuff that doesn't look too toyish or too old like the stowage for tanks of the 2nd world war period? Help welcome...
There are some good options for modern stowage, granch. If you can get a hold of some of the Unimax/Forces of Valor Bravo Team Modern US Army or USMC 1:18 figures, most came with some nice accessories, including jerry cans and rations boxes. You should also check out Build-a-Rama. They have been around since the early 2000s and are still in business. Mark Vacunon used to post on SSHQ as well. Build-a-Rama make stowage in 1:18 scale (among a variety of other items catering to the professional toy soldier collectors). They have a 1:18 scale modern stowage set and pack stowage set in addition to their WWII offerings:

http://www.build-a-rama.com/1_18/modsto ... e_18.shtml

http://www.build-a-rama.com/1_18/pack_s ... e_18.shtml

Here is how I have my BBI LAV set up at the moment... Its nothing fancy, just some FOV Bravo Team accessories in the turret bustle and a little bit of Build-a-Rama stuff added onto the sides.

And here is a picture of my customized 21c M-113 using Build-a-Rama products almost exclusively for the stowage:

STM6
Corporal
Corporal

Post by STM6 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:53 pm

Awesome photo !!!!!

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:38 am

Disappointing... I've checked again the LAV-25 caracteristics. They only carry 6 soldiers + 3 men crew. So my pic is wrong... Don't know if I can find the place in the same conditions.
By the way, ttt, thanks for the information. Do you know what kind of realistic stuff might be carried in the basket? I've just put a camo nest on the other side of the turrets, so it doesn't appear on my pic.

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:34 am

OK, I've now loaded the turret basket and put a camo nest on the rear, and put the right number of soldiers unloading the LAV-25, thanks guy for your input.

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:48 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:
granch wrote:tmanthegreat, I agree with you. But where can I find modern stuff that doesn't look too toyish or too old like the stowage for tanks of the 2nd world war period? Help welcome...
There are some good options for modern stowage, granch. If you can get a hold of some of the Unimax/Forces of Valor Bravo Team Modern US Army or USMC 1:18 figures, most came with some nice accessories, including jerry cans and rations boxes. You should also check out Build-a-Rama. They have been around since the early 2000s and are still in business. Mark Vacunon used to post on SSHQ as well. Build-a-Rama make stowage in 1:18 scale (among a variety of other items catering to the professional toy soldier collectors). They have a 1:18 scale modern stowage set and pack stowage set in addition to their WWII offerings:

http://www.build-a-rama.com/1_18/modsto ... e_18.shtml

http://www.build-a-rama.com/1_18/pack_s ... e_18.shtml

Here is how I have my BBI LAV set up at the moment... Its nothing fancy, just some FOV Bravo Team accessories in the turret bustle and a little bit of Build-a-Rama stuff added onto the sides.

And here is a picture of my customized 21c M-113 using Build-a-Rama products almost exclusively for the stowage:

I like your customized M113. I also like the idea of using the Build-a Rama storage. My custom M113 is missing a good weathering and some storage. Looks like I will be updating mine. I have three custom M113's and three others waiting to be converted.

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:51 am

Here is a close up of my customised LAV-25:
Not so much stuff:
- Steel wire to replace the original antennas
- There are 2 small parts of an "individual camo nest" bought in a surplus shop, much cheaper per m2 than the build-a-rama ones
- With an old light green child throuser, a piece of sponge, a needle and thread and brown paint, I needed a quarter of an hour to make the package in the basket.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:38 am

Looks fantastic, granch! I like your use of the camo netting and cloth "tarp" over the stowage basket. Things to eventually try out myself :wink:

The BBI LAV is nevertheless an oldie but a goodie... I wish it had more opening hatches like many of the other 1:18 armored vehicles, but it is still superior to the Unimax Bravo Team one that came out a few years ago which only had working turret hatches and moulded-on stowage.

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:51 pm

Thank you tmanthegreat. I suppose that very squilled modellers bought 2 LAV-25, one from wich they have cut the trap doors and the other in which they have grabed the openings for a better detailled model. It is sad that only 21st made a model where all crew doors opened, the Bradley. But it is too big (1/16th?) for other 1/18 modern armour. I don't like to have to choose between the best detailled and the best scaled model.
I think that I could add some tools like a shovel, an axe and a hammer, there is just anough place under the exhaust pipe of the LAV-25. Would it be realistic?

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:04 am

granch wrote:Thank you tmanthegreat. I suppose that very squilled modellers bought 2 LAV-25, one from wich they have cut the trap doors and the other in which they have grabed the openings for a better detailled model. It is sad that only 21st made a model where all crew doors opened, the Bradley. But it is too big (1/16th?) for other 1/18 modern armour. I don't like to have to choose between the best detailled and the best scaled model.
I think that I could add some tools like a shovel, an axe and a hammer, there is just anough place under the exhaust pipe of the LAV-25. Would it be realistic?
At one time, I did have two LAVs with the expressed purpose of attempting to open at least the roof hatches in the passenger compartment on one of the vehicles, but never got around to it and in a somewhat short-sighted action, sold the vehicle a few years back. You may want to simply google pictures of LAV-25s in action in Iraq and Afghanistan and see how they have things stowed on them. There is a lot of variation with how things may be stowed on a vehicle, so you really can't go wrong.

Further, I want to say the 21c Bradley is actually to scale... It is the Bravo Team one that is a tad undersized. The 21c 1/6 scale Bradley is also greatly undersized! Still the 1/18th vehicle, which is 2003 vintage, is still overall best modern armored vehicle we ever got in 1:18 scale...

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:16 am

Very cool!
Todd