Unimax Ages of Action

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
flayrah
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Unimax Ages of Action

Post by flayrah » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:53 pm

Were these ever in general release? I never saw any at retail or even a discount store. I've been checking auctions and the only one I've seen in months is the ninja, never any of the others loose or packaged. When first announced there was quite of lot of interest, then like so much other 1:18 they just seemed to fade away.

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: Unimax Ages of Action

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:44 pm

These were figures I always wish I had bought more of - I only ever got a couple of the Romans and a Ninja, which is still boxed. The figures are excellent and I've had my two Romans standing guard on a display shelf since I got them. The figures have lots of articulation, realistic/authentic detail, and some decent accessories.

However, I don't think there was ever a huge amount of interest with the figures. Most of the small online retailers seemed to have them and a lot of the figures (especially the knights) sat around for a while. The Roman figures seem to the be the hardest to find. At the time when first released, the Ages of Action were expensive at about $10+ per figure whereas the other Unimax "Bravo Team" Modern and WWII figures (both of which saw general release at mass retail) were available for much cheaper at usually no more than $5 per figure. Unimax also had some Renaissance-era-themed figure line based on a video game that did see mass retail. I never got any of those figures as I didn't really have a use for them at the time, but they were great-looking action figures from what I saw.

Around 2007-2008, Unimax also released a line of 1/32 scale historical figures that had Romans, Vikings, Knights, Pirates, and US Civil War soldiers. I think those were also under the "Ages of Action" line. Those 1/32 figures were at mass retail, including Target stores, and were excellent. They were better than the FOV military figures available at the time in terms of detail and sculpting. They came in large packages with 4 figures and lots of accessories and smaller sets with 2-3 figures, all on blister cards. I got a lot of the Roman figures, the Vikings, and all the Civil War soldier I could find.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:07 pm

They hit that point where prices were going up and people weren't buying into things as much, and it hurt them. Sucks, but it's ironic that now you see things like the Vitruvian HACKS figures coming in and getting support enough to have it become a reality. Go figure.

That's where the action figure future lies for collectors though... The Acid Rain line has really taken off (and rightly so, it's incredibly well done), and then there's HACKS, Hiya's Aliens line is popular, etc. More to come from other companies too.

At the same time, failures too... I called one Star Wars "kickstarter" campaign into question because the guy got the $, then didn't come through on the product. Then when he did, it wasn't the same thing the kickstarter was for... Lots of excuses, but the only real one is that these guys got financially funded and were in way over their heads on a business they had no clue how to do, much less do properly.

The toy world, for adult collectors anyway, is becoming more of a "designer toy" world than mass production. Hasbro's a shining example of where China's become too expensive to manufacture in, and it's now coming down to things like perceived value to mass markets and whatnot. They've even moved the manufacturing of some lines out of China, to countries with the technical ability to do the work, but who are still very inexpensive with labor, like Vietnam, India, etc.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

flayrah
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by flayrah » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:55 pm

I would have wanted multiples of all, even the Egyptian which never made it to production. The only one I don't have any use for is the ninja. And it's the only one I've ever seen for sale.
Last edited by flayrah on Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

skorzeny
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by skorzeny » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:08 am

Sad its over . Now the I have German Army , I would go to the Knights and Romans

maritime96
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by maritime96 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:34 pm

I have all of these and they are great figures. I wish they had been more available, I would have army built Romans and the Knights for sure.
"When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the
government fears the people you have liberty."
--Thomas Jefferson

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:59 am

tmanthegreat wrote:These were figures I always wish I had bought more of - I only ever got a couple of the Romans and a Ninja, which is still boxed. The figures are excellent and I've had my two Romans standing guard on a display shelf since I got them. The figures have lots of articulation, realistic/authentic detail, and some decent accessories.

However, I don't think there was ever a huge amount of interest with the figures. Most of the small online retailers seemed to have them and a lot of the figures (especially the knights) sat around for a while. The Roman figures seem to the be the hardest to find. At the time when first released, the Ages of Action were expensive at about $10+ per figure whereas the other Unimax "Bravo Team" Modern and WWII figures (both of which saw general release at mass retail) were available for much cheaper at usually no more than $5 per figure. Unimax also had some Renaissance-era-themed figure line based on a video game that did see mass retail. I never got any of those figures as I didn't really have a use for them at the time, but they were great-looking action figures from what I saw.

Around 2007-2008, Unimax also released a line of 1/32 scale historical figures that had Romans, Vikings, Knights, Pirates, and US Civil War soldiers. I think those were also under the "Ages of Action" line. Those 1/32 figures were at mass retail, including Target stores, and were excellent. They were better than the FOV military figures available at the time in terms of detail and sculpting. They came in large packages with 4 figures and lots of accessories and smaller sets with 2-3 figures, all on blister cards. I got a lot of the Roman figures, the Vikings, and all the Civil War soldier I could find.
Tman,
Did you ever see any 1/18 Civil War Soldiers out for sale or any prototypes? Any pics?
Thanks,
Razor
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:41 am

Razor17019 wrote: Tman,
Did you ever see any 1/18 Civil War Soldiers out for sale or any prototypes? Any pics?
Thanks,
Razor
Razor, I never saw those. I remember seeing something online about prototypes of 1/18 Civil War soldiers (or maybe it was another company besides Unimax) but those never made it to retail. I just found the 1/32 ones, which I still have stored away MIB. The 1/32 ones were very nice figures from the looks of them.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

skorzeny
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by skorzeny » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:58 am

21 Century Prototypes

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:43 pm

IIRC those weren't 21st Century... Someone else was designing that line. Not gonna say where they ended up. ;D
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!