Should I build it?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Should I build it?

Post by rschaap » Thu May 26, 2016 7:07 am

I recently was very lucky and located an old Aurora Screwdriver kit of a British Scout SE-5 bi-plane. The kit is 1/19 scale and is in great condition for a kit that is almost 50 years old (released in 1967). I've collected models for a very long time and this one is a collectors item without a doubt. For it's time it is an accurate representation of the Scout. My question is should I build it or not. I think it would be awesome to display along side my 1/18 scale collection or soaring from my ceiling. I know if I build it the value drops, however I would have a very rare model to detail and display. I'm curious to hear what members think since I'm on the fence on this one.

Nick_Karatzides
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: Should I build it?

Post by Nick_Karatzides » Thu May 26, 2016 7:24 am

As you said, its a 50yo 1/19 scale kit. For it's time it used to be a nice kit, but considering the today's high standards on scale modeling its only a memory of how scale models used to be & looked like, half century before. In other words, its a pure vintage. If you intend to start building it, have in mind - you already know that - you'll need to spend hundreds of working hours and much scratchbuilding to make it look decent. I am sure you noticed that there are no underwing surfaces, right? No cockpit, engine cover need to be replaced etc. I've seen such items sold on eBay for $250 or more, not because its an accurate miniature ofcourse. Its up to you, to keep it as a vintage part came from the previous scale model century or attemp a risky step to recover it.

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Thu May 26, 2016 7:38 am

Great response. Food for thought.

Grognard
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grognard » Thu May 26, 2016 10:17 am

I have a few vintage kits. Old Adams, Renwal and aurora armor. by today's standards, their crappy. Still, I'm not in the hobby as collector, so I am not too obsessed with the potential market value, as much as I am satisfied by the nostalgia they inspire. I have built a couple straight out of the box, with some minor modifications. I still have a few of the ones I built in the 60's and just wanted to round out my shelf display. Yeah, their value is destroyed as a collectable kit, I don't mind. I'm sure they will still fetch a good price on ebay when my kid sells them after I'm gone.

If you enjoy the hobby, don't care about rivet counting, and don't plan on profiting on your collection, have fun.

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu May 26, 2016 10:51 am

I recently purchased a 1975-vintage Revell Mig-21 kit in 1/32 scale. It was 100% complete, in an undamaged (though opened) box, and the decals looked nearly new. I had wanted a 1/32 Mig-21 and the old Revell one was the right scale and the right price, so I built it. This was despite the fact that the kit was vintage and collectable. The kit definitely showed its age in terms of the quality of tooling and part fit, but it all went together, the decals applied well, and I achieved a satisfactory result to display with my other 1/32 jets. To me, a model kit is no use just sitting in its box unbuilt, no matter how vintage it is :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

mountian-man
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by mountian-man » Thu May 26, 2016 11:48 am

It's not quite as large in scale, but Merit just released a nice SE5A kit in 1:24. Might be a smoother/ more detailed build. Although, the vintage aspect to your kit makes it fun.

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Thu May 26, 2016 1:53 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:I recently purchased a 1975-vintage Revell Mig-21 kit in 1/32 scale. It was 100% complete, in an undamaged (though opened) box, and the decals looked nearly new. I had wanted a 1/32 Mig-21 and the old Revell one was the right scale and the right price, so I built it. This was despite the fact that the kit was vintage and collectable. The kit definitely showed its age in terms of the quality of tooling and part fit, but it all went together, the decals applied well, and I achieved a satisfactory result to display with my other 1/32 jets. To me, a model kit is no use just sitting in its box unbuilt, no matter how vintage it is :wink:
I have a large quantity of plastic military planes and ships dating back to the 1960's. 95% of them are not built yet due to time, work, life and everything else that gets in the way. I have given kits away and traded kits, but can't recall ever selling one. So listening to what everyone thinks up to this point has helped me look at it from different angles. Obviously holding on to it as a collector means I would have to be looking at selling it one day or giving it to my son in the future. Since my son really has no interest in my hobby, my plan at this point is to look over the kit, compare it to a real one, see how it scales out (is it truly 1/19 scale) and what the major differences would be between the real one and the model. If I am satisfied with what I see you may see photos of the completed model (with some modifications) on this forum in the future, nothing too crazy though. Thanks for the input so far.

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Thu May 26, 2016 2:44 pm

Regardless of the fact it's old and inaccurate etc, that is a gorgeous kit!
I guess it depends on if you're seriously thinking of selling it in the future. It's only really a collectors item if it's displayed, bought and sold in the market. If it just sits in a box on the shelf, it's just worth the plastic it's moulded in (but maybe memories are worth more than selling for a profit :) )
Have you considered maybe taking moulds of this, and then assembling the resin copy. That way you have it in it's original kit form, and another one you can put together.
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"

skorzeny
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by skorzeny » Thu May 26, 2016 3:25 pm

Nice kit , nice plane

Ebay 1/19 scale FOKKER D-7 (need parts )

Everything was inventoried, and the propeller and one outboard wing strut is missing. All other pieces are there.

Price:US $80.00

Best Offer

Shipping: $9.00 from Jacksonville, Florida,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AURORA-FOKKER-D ... ~#viTabs_0

teebird
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by teebird » Thu May 26, 2016 7:46 pm

You should absolutely build it!!! Sitting in the box it's just lifeless plastic parts, once you put your effort and passion into it it's a work of art! It becomes an object that you and others with our same passion will enjoy looking at and remembering the fun you had building it. Once built, to me a kit becomes more than the sum of its parts once it's built, it has a presence, a soul if you will!!

Frame the box top if you're sentimental about the nostalgia of the box art and old Aurora kits:))

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Thu May 26, 2016 10:18 pm

Well put teebird. I know finishing a model always is a huge rush for me. All the models I've bought or received I always pictured them built just as I have with this one. Just so you know I'm tilting toward building this one.

normandy

Post by normandy » Fri May 27, 2016 2:14 am

I'd build it. I've built models most of my life and never bought one for investment.
I'd also build it as it was designed back in 1967 by Aurora. Models are meant to be built
not kept in a box, enjoy the hobby!
:salute: