New Mig !!

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
pickelhaube
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

New Mig !!

Post by pickelhaube » Fri May 20, 2016 10:42 pm

Not sure if this is on anybodies radar but the Monkey Depot has a new Mig up for sale

http://www.monkeydepot.com/Plane_JSI_1_ ... si0022.htm

I do not know if it is a presale or in stock.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

dannyc
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Re: New Mig !!

Post by dannyc » Sat May 21, 2016 4:05 am

Pickel iirc that mig is made by the same guys who did the p51 repaints a few months back and these were supposed to be next

supersonicfifi
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by supersonicfifi » Sun May 22, 2016 12:39 am

I had a racing hart when i saw the tittle : I was expecting this :

or this :

it's nice to dream a little ....
1/18 mirage 2000 & RAFALE should i say more ?

Shomare
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Shomare » Wed May 25, 2016 2:06 pm

Same, I was thinking MiG-21 finally! All this time, and no Russian MiG-21 seems crazy. An SU-27 sure would be cool that as well.

Nick_Karatzides
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Nick_Karatzides » Thu May 26, 2016 7:02 am

@ Philippe aka supersonicfifi,

Matthew aka pickelhaube, mentioned HERE a 1/18 scale Mikoyan Gurevich MiG-15 Fagot model, an item produced by different miniature building factories and still available for purchase. The model which you mentioned HERE, is a 1/18 scale Mikoyan Gurevich MiG-21 Fishbed, which has never been mass produced by any miniature manufaturer. As far as I know, there is only one Worldwide, scratchbuilt by a Czech modeler named Mirek at least 10 years ago, presented multiple times around scale modeling competitions & military related expos as an exchibit to attract attention. If you are willing to pay around $3500 plus shipping charges to buy it, go ahead (used to cost $5000 few years before but due to EUR crisis, prices dropped). IMHO, the price for such a unique and very nicely built item, is not high. It's just fine.

Additionally, the 1/18 scale Mikoyan Gurevich MiG-29 Fulcrum and the 1/18 scale Sukhoi Su-30MKM Flanker-C models you mentioned HERE, are not some factory made products - actually no MiG-29 or Su-27/30 model ever announced by any known miniature producing factory. These models were scratchbuilt at least 10 years ago by a very talented Malaysian scale modeler named Naza, who custom builds big scale models for museums and wealthy collectors - just like I also do. Although his creations lack panel lines & rivets detailing, they are still very impressive and his craftmanship is striking.

BTW, since none of the above were build as a CAD digital 3D model, they cannot be mass produced by a factory. Anyway, all of the above mentioned 1/18 scale Mikoyan Gurevich MiG-21 Fishbed, Mikoyan Gurevich MiG-29 Fulcrum and Sukhoi Su-30MKM Flanker-C models are results of hard scratchbuilding work countless hours on hobby bench.

pvanroy
Corporal
Corporal

Post by pvanroy » Thu May 26, 2016 7:31 am

Actually, JSI did announce a 1/18 scale model of the Su-27UB back in 2010; they even showed a test-shot (minus undercarriage, but with full AA armament) in PLAAF colors at the Hong Kong Toy Fair. So, molds were cut for a mass-produced Su-27UB, the model was just never commercialized in the end.

As far as a the MiG-21 goes: this was announced back in the day by 21st, but I don't think it ever went into the hardware stage before 21st went under. Do note that the announcement flyer shows photographs of two very different MiG-21 versions: the upper is a third generation MiG-21MF (or SM), while the lower image is of a first generation MiG-21F-13.

HPH models does offer a MiG-21MF (or SM) in 1/18th scale, but you have to be willing and able to shell out 2980 Euros for that model. Unfortunately, it is not available as a kit.

As far as I know, no company ever offered or announced a 1/18 scale MiG-29.

Nick_Karatzides
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Nick_Karatzides » Thu May 26, 2016 8:24 am

pvanroy wrote:HPH models does offer a MiG-21MF (or SM) in 1/18th scale, but you have to be willing and able to shell out 2980 Euros for that model. Unfortunately, it is not available as a kit.
Exactly. As I previously said: "...around $3500 plus shipping charges...". They used to advertise it for sale at $5000 few years before, but they dropped the price. Since, I've seen the model once, I can surely say that it worth the money.
pvanroy wrote:Actually, JSI did announce a 1/18 scale model of the Su-27UB back in 2010; they even showed a test-shot (minus undercarriage, but with full AA armament) in PLAAF colors at the Hong Kong Toy Fair. So, molds were cut for a mass-produced Su-27UB, the model was just never commercialized in the end.
Yes, you are right. As you said, JSI did announce a 1/18 scale model of the Su-27UB few years before, but never really proceed on project. Actually, they used a 1/20 (not 1/18 scale) model made by other factory. As far as I remember (if I am not mistaken) the abovementioned PLAAF colors test-shot model showed back in 2010 at the Hong Kong Toy Fair, was a 1/20 model made by some Chinese manufacturer named FYD models / Shenzhen Feiyida Mould (?) who also released some other test-shot 1/20 scale diecast metal & plastic models too. These 1/20 scale (1/16 too) models were sold to museums and arms manufacturers to be used as exhibits on armament expos. For example the Chengdu J-10 Vigorous Dragon / F-10 Vanguard, the Oerlikon Skyguard FLA 2x35mm AA cannon, the Sukhoi Su-30 Flanker-C, the Sukhoi Su-33 Flanker-D, the M-1939 / 61-K 37mm automatic air defense gun, the Dong Feng DF-21 / CSS-5 MRBM - Medium Range Ballistic Missile, the Type 99 / ZTZ-99 / WZ-123 MBT - Main Battle Tank, the Lavochkin OKB S-75 Dvina / SA-2 Guideline SAM - Surface to Air Missile, the HongQi HQ-7 / FM-80 SAM - Surface to Air Missile, the BM-30 Smerch / 9A52 280mm MRL - Multiple Rocket Launcher, the Type 66 / PL-66 152mm Howitzer etc, etc, etc.

Few years ago, I 've seen a 1/20 scale Chengdu J-10 fighter model (as shown into following pictures) for sale on eBay, but instead of a price they asked to offer your kidney - so expensive. Considering that the seller was China-based, completely unknown and with zero reviews, there were no chance to continue on that.

...are you impressed already or should I add more? :D