Custom Machine Gunner on Ebay - up to 52.00 for 1 Figure

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Razor17019
Officer - Brigadier General

Custom Machine Gunner on Ebay - up to 52.00 for 1 Figure

Post by Razor17019 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:04 am

Did you guys see this auction?? 52.00 for (1) 1/18 scale figure.
It's really nice, granted - but would you guys spend this much on 1 figure?
I wonder if the seller is part of this board?? Anyone?? Bueller?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-18-XD-ULTIMATE-SO ... dZViewItem
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:10 am

The seller is apart of the board I think,joined up not that long ago actually (if it`s the guy i think it is).

As for the price,well that comes down to how much someone wants it instead of trying there own hand at it.

I actually had a custom 1/18th Captain America posable figure i did (posted here before) & he went for over a $100.

So some will throw down the cash if they truely want it.

ja
Steel Bonnet

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by flpickupman » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:12 am

Not even if I'd won the lottery.

I think this is the same guy that had 3 custom Marines up a little while back. They looked pretty damn good except one of em had no neck after the head swap. :?
Last edited by flpickupman on Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it.
-W.C. Fields

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:19 am

I guess that's where the money is - "CUSTOMIZING". I've seen other auctions by this same seller and mostly all the items are customized and they sell for a pretty good price.

flayrah
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by flayrah » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:25 am

Isn't this just a paint job, head swap, and some extra gear, or am I missing something?

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:31 am

flayrah wrote:Isn't this just a paint job, head swap, and some extra gear, or am I missing something?
That is what I am seeing too. Just want to see what you guys thought.
If I could paint, I would be cranking out these guys all day long for 52.00 a pop!

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:40 am

That is exactly what this seller does. Most of the items up for sale are mostly repainted whether they be figures, tanks, vehicles, or buildings. Pretty good way to profit from those painting skills on the XD stuff.

digger

well,

Post by digger » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:28 pm

This one boggles the mind because I don't think that is some of his best work; he is on the board, and is very open and frank about his business. You guys are right that this is just a swap and some paint (you don't even get a usable helmet? :? ), but when he adds straps to the weapons or hand-made pipes I totally understand the premium.

However, let's dispell a few myths...
1) Not everyone could it - have you tried painting an XD figure and gotten to look good? (However I must say his SS guy pales in comparison to Centone's. :P)

2) It is not that profitable if you look at his past auctions. A MIB Panzer IV is good for 50-60 on ebay and lets say he gets 120 on ebay...after fees, paints, materials and a full day's work - is $60 a windfall? Not really.

EDIT - Sorry, I just had to add that the guy who really has his business in order is Foxhole Toys (also on here as Bravo I believe). He is the ultimate scalper and deserves credit - the best photos, always has the newest stuff, and could sell a PTE Jeep for $30 when they come packed in with a watchtower for $7. :roll: No paint, no hassle....just WM/TRU/Target then ebay. Wake up next day and repeat. Makes me proud to be an American. 8)

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:10 pm

Let's just say he's an entrepeneur at it's finest.

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:52 pm

Ebay - it brings out the best in everybody!!! :D

holensock
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by holensock » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:07 pm

I almost paid $14 for just one Japanese soldier! :lol:

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:21 pm

I almost paid $37 for the new Dodge WC51 on eBay, this afternoon before I gave myself a head slap and said "Self, (I call myself Self) wait until everybody has some, you don't have to be the first one in Staten Island to have one???" :)

What makes your boat float..............That's what's important. :?

This guy does nice work. His customer's are happy. Have you seen his Mercedes with figures?

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

thehun
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: well,

Post by thehun » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:12 pm

digger wrote:This one boggles the mind because I don't think that is some of his best work; he is on the board, and is very open and frank about his business. You guys are right that this is just a swap and some paint (you don't even get a usable helmet? :? ), but when he adds straps to the weapons or hand-made pipes I totally understand the premium.

However, let's dispell a few myths...
1) Not everyone could it - have you tried painting an XD figure and gotten to look good? (However I must say his SS guy pales in comparison to Centone's. :P)

2) It is not that profitable if you look at his past auctions. A MIB Panzer IV is good for 50-60 on ebay and lets say he gets 120 on ebay...after fees, paints, materials and a full day's work - is $60 a windfall? Not really.

EDIT - Sorry, I just had to add that the guy who really has his business in order is Foxhole Toys (also on here as Bravo I believe). He is the ultimate scalper and deserves credit - the best photos, always has the newest stuff, and could sell a PTE Jeep for $30 when they come packed in with a watchtower for $7. :roll: No paint, no hassle....just WM/TRU/Target then ebay. Wake up next day and repeat. Makes me proud to be an American. 8)
Digger,
Your right --the SS guy, SUKS, Once i started the auction and really looked at him, I hated him at first sight, Someone had bid on him before I could stop the auction, so I just let it go---Chances are I’ll change him a little (Or maybe a lot) Before I mail him, About Foxhole toys-- I don't know any of them personally, Only a E-mail here and there, They seem like a great Bunch, And I always look at their auctions, They are Creative and I like their stuff, It’s only a matter of time before they’ll git some of the Woofer’s Money.
And your right again, ---There ain't much money in it---- The Majority of my items i build are for Personal collectors and are never seen, Trying to keep these guy's happy is really a pain sometime, But they Pay good so i have to go the extra mile for them, But it's what i do and i enjoy it.
Thanks for your input.
(thewoofer)
(Thewoofer)

lsc1002
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by lsc1002 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:13 pm

I think he does a great work too. He had a sweet customized Panther on ebay awhile back that went for well over $100. It was really nice tank and looked to me to be well worth it. I would like to know if it was a regular Ultimate Soldier Panther or was it something else?
"Tigers!?.....Where did the Tigers come from!?!"

thehun
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by thehun » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:16 pm

steelbonnet wrote:The seller is apart of the board I think,joined up not that long ago actually (if it`s the guy i think it is).

As for the price,well that comes down to how much someone wants it instead of trying there own hand at it.

I actually had a custom 1/18th Captain America posable figure i did (posted here before) & he went for over a $100.

So some will throw down the cash if they truely want it.

ja
Steel Bonnet

It's Me Bonnet,
(The woofer) :lol:

thehun
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by thehun » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:21 pm

flpickupman wrote:Not even if I'd won the lottery.

I think this is the same guy that had 3 custom Marines up a little while back. They looked pretty damn good except one of em had no neck after the head swap. :?
flpickupman,
The guy with no neck---I called him ( Short round ) :roll:
Thanks for the kind words about my work.
(thewoofer)

thehun
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by thehun » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:33 pm

lsc1002 wrote:I think he does a great work too. He had a sweet customized Panther on ebay awhile back that went for well over $100. It was really nice tank and looked to me to be well worth it. I would like to know if it was a regular Ultimate Soldier Panther or was it something else?
Isc1002,
It was a Ultimate soldier Panther, My partner ( Who is Really Creative ) Is making the molds for a 1/18 Jagdpanther, A collector in Europe wants one for his personal collection, So while we build it --we are going to make molds so we can build several so be looking for these (soon),
Thanks for the kind words.
(thewoofer) :D

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:15 am

You can put me down for a Jagdpather mold Woofer. I paint my own armor but have not tried a custom armor project that involves major mods. If you can make money doing customs, more power to you.

Mark
I'm a legend in my own mind.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:53 am

Doing custom work is rewarding for the customizer. He knows he produces a product people want and are proud to display. The money can't be that good, even in today's market of inflated prices.

I only have one custom product but it has always been on dislay in my living room. I am always proud to show it off. It is a 21C 1/6 Scout Car customized as a Lend Lease Russian Car with twin Maxims. The customizer put a lot of work into it but the price I paid for it vs the cost the guy laid out and the painting and resin work he put into it, the customizer certinally was not in it as a business, only a hobby that produces a small return.

I'm not a customizer, or a modeler. I would love to be one, but my fingers are too fat and I keep crazy gluing body parts to other parts.

The work done on these customized pieces are awesome :shock:

I love to see them for sale. It means the guys like me can own a trulely interesting and special piece.

TTT

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:58 am

thehun,
I want to make sure you know that I am glad your talent reaps you reward. I have seen and admired many of your past auctions on Ebay. You deserve all the money you receive from your auctions. If I had your talent, you would have some competition. But I am lacking in the arts department.
With anything on Ebay, I am always amazed at the amount of money spent to aquire a particular item.

Hats off to you thehun and your marvelous, custom XD Soldiers!!!

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by flpickupman » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:28 am

thehun wrote:flpickupman,
The guy with no neck---I called him ( Short round ) :roll:
Thanks for the kind words about my work.
(thewoofer)
Not at all. It's a pleasure to see that kind of detail. You must have the patience of a monk to be that meticulous. It's gonna kill me to fix the paint on a couple of my vehicles. I normally don't have the attention span for that type of stuff.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it.
-W.C. Fields

flayrah
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by flayrah » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:53 am

Threetoughtrucks wrote:I almost paid $37 for the new Dodge WC51 on eBay, this afternoon before I gave myself a head slap and said "Self, (I call myself Self) wait until everybody has some, you don't have to be the first one in Staten Island to have one???" :)
If TTT can wait for his WC51s, I guess so can I... :D

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:00 am

Flayrah:

t's not easy waiting but I have an edge.

My custom conversion of a 1/6 CC into a WC51 will be done sometime soon and I'll probably get that before I get my hands on a 1/18 WC51.

With my Ruskie Scout car this makes two customs. :) Sounds like a trend. :?

TTT

thehun
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by thehun » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:06 am

KAMIKAZE wrote:You can put me down for a Jagdpather mold Woofer. I paint my own armor but have not tried a custom armor project that involves major mods. If you can make money doing customs, more power to you.

Kamikaze,
Hey I make a little money—but not that much money---- Several times a day I’ll get frustrated with something I’m working on, That’s when I wonder if it’s worth it, I spend 10-14 hours a day in my shop –Building—painting----sanding----Throwing stuff in the trash----digging stuff out of the trash, so you gotta luv it to do it, I keep several projects going at one time, so not to get bored, It not important if I make money----- My wife Thinks I make money—And that’s what’s really important—HeHeHe
(Thehun)

Mark

compfire
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by compfire » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:24 pm

thehun wrote:
(The woofer) :lol:
I love your work. I always take the time to look at it on eBay. I bought 1 piece (German road block) several months back. I wish I could afford more of it, but you deserve the money you get for them. Keep up the good work. BTW - do you have picture gallery of your work? It would be great for you to post one.

Mike