How to create your own 1/18 model aircraft

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Jnewboy
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: How to create your own 1/18 model aircraft

Post by Jnewboy » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:31 pm

maritime96 wrote:I have to say Jnewboy, you did some impressive research to bring this together. I definitely think this works best with the smooth contours of aircraft, but I could see some armor coming out of it. Great job my friend!!! :salute:
Thanks my friend, the problem with armor is that it is in 1/35 scale. Yes there are some things made in 1/48 but the detail is really lacking as far as armor. It could be done though. I thought about doing a Sdkfz 232, its made in 1/48 and you would only have to do the body, turret and one wheel...

It would be a hell of alot cheaper than Battleground Toy's Shapeways one.

TankAce
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by TankAce » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:43 pm

Jon i saw on the walmart website a product call composimold. It is a re-usable rtv. It is perfect for this sort of project. We all hate to use large quantities of expensive rtv for one time use and then the mold goes to waste, Also if something goes wrong the expensive rtv goes to waste, however composimold can be re-used i think up to 19 times i my memory serve me good. The only issue i seen on the reviews is that is gets a lot of tiny bubbles. Some one try vacuum the air bubbles with a vacuum chamber but it didn't work. Some one suggest a pressure chamber but i don't know if that work.

I can see that you find good use for hydrospan. I am sure it will work great to make rubber tracks, tank wheels and idlers.
I am sure there has to be a correct mixing ratio to get 1/35 to 1/18 scale. But that will take more experimentation.

I never tough aircraft can be done because of the size but you show that it is possible.

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:06 pm

TankAce wrote:Jon i saw on the walmart website a product call composimold. It is a re-usable rtv. It is perfect for this sort of project. We all hate to use large quantities of expensive rtv for one time use and then the mold goes to waste, Also if something goes wrong the expensive rtv goes to waste, however composimold can be re-used i think up to 19 times i my memory serve me good. The only issue i seen on the reviews is that is gets a lot of tiny bubbles. Some one try vacuum the air bubbles with a vacuum chamber but it didn't work. Some one suggest a pressure chamber but i don't know if that work.

I can see that you find good use for hydrospan. I am sure it will work great to make rubber tracks, tank wheels and idlers.
I am sure there has to be a correct mixing ratio to get 1/35 to 1/18 scale. But that will take more experimentation.

I never tough aircraft can be done because of the size but you show that it is possible.
I will look into that stuff, if it works it would really make this process much cheaper! thanks my friend! 8)