How to create your own 1/18 model aircraft

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Jnewboy
Officer - Brigadier General

How to create your own 1/18 model aircraft

Post by Jnewboy » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:12 pm

As promised, here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1O95x6VgNw

It took lots of research and development, $1,000 in materials and a lot of time invested in pioneering this process spanning over about 9 months.

I hope that everyone uses it to make the things they have always wanted. I realize that I could have kept this to myself and made a lot of money off all the builds but I could never make everything that is possible.

My other hope is that builders will work together and support each other on projects.

Stay Thirsty My Friends :D
Last edited by Jnewboy on Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pickelhaube

Re: How to create your own 1/18 model aircraft

Post by pickelhaube » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:34 pm

I heard of this stuff when it first came out and thought the same thing.

I can see were it works with the simple design of the Lipsish but more complex designs will have more complex issues .

If you would have contacted me I could have shown you a few easier steps that would have helped out in your engineering process .

My Horten took a span of a year in the build to the molding process and if I can recall close to $1700 worth of RTV . This process could have saved some time , maybe a lot more time but would have cost another $850 or more worth of RTV .

So far my Hind Project has been a year in the making close to $2000 worth of 3-d printing. Countless hours of Jay's time in the plotting phase along with the time I have spent on it .

This method could just work but I think it would be more in line with simpler parts like boat hulls maybe wheels and other simpler parts .

But waiting for a 2 weeks for a part to come to full size with the chances of distortion would have a high anxiety challenge for me .Plus some of my projects have HUNDREDS of parts and by this process I would have to cast each part 3 times in order to achieve the desired size. Lots and lots of RTV

Your delta wing project seems to be a perfect experiment for this procedure but I would hate to experiment on some future projects that I have on the horizon .

Do you have a final specimen to show us ? Is the second part expansion ready to view ?

When the product swells to full size ( second phase ) does it ever become ridged ?
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:27 pm

Hey Mathew, yes the final thing is not done yet, it is soaking, the bigger the part the longer you wait, so far so good, I also have a set of floats for the Rufe and a Ta-152's wings and fuselage ready for RTV and pour the final expansion.

When I have the final expansions floating for those projects Ill start taking orders but then its back to other projects that I have neglected. I hope others pick up the torch and make some cool stuff.

Sure the RTV is the most expensive part but now that I have a working method Im not making very many mistakes and so each project is much cheaper than the last.

Winterstar
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Winterstar » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:24 am

Hmmm.

Is it odd that this makes me want to re-examine the crimson skies franchise designs?

CanberraPaul
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by CanberraPaul » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:38 pm

Great work Jon. I can see this production method providing numerous 1 18 air planes.

Thanks for taking the time to show us this new way of model building!!

YT

Post by YT » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:06 pm

Great work Jon. I am familiar with hydro span but never would have thought of this.
"There are some people who disagree with me, they are wrong." --Gen George S. Patton

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:39 pm

I see even more practical potential for some conversion kits: P-51A or B, F4U-4, Spit Mk-5, decent landing gear, tires and wheels on numorous planes, and maybe, just maybe, finally an FW-190A-F 8)

What makes the P-51 Mustang so special?

"It would do for 8 hours what a Spitfire would do for 45 minutes."

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

supersonicfifi
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by supersonicfifi » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:38 am

WELL DONE & CLEVER THINKING !!!!! i can't wait to see a 4 bladed corsair F4U4 or some other things like that !!! (axis nightmare you are right)

My main intersted would be some nice weapons for my F 18 and F 16 and a sniper / Lantirn pod !!!!!

JNEWBOY FOR PRESIDENT ! :)
Last edited by supersonicfifi on Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1/18 mirage 2000 & RAFALE should i say more ?

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:46 pm

Thank you, I appreciate all of you!

Years ago, I had a dream that I was holding a 1/18 a Focke-Wulf Triebflügel. It was only a dream at that time as the only person I knew who had the skill to make such a thing was Mathew and his projects requiring so much time and money to complete had to stick with more popular projects and even sales of those were slowing as people left the hobby. We have lost so many along the way, those who were priced out, ran out of room or just gave up waiting. Those of you reading this who are still collectors I hope that this acts as a light at the end of a very dark tunnel for 1/18.

Today I purchased a 1/48 Triebflügel, in time my dream can now be a reality!

supersonicfifi
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by supersonicfifi » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:48 pm

have a good & safe flight my friend :)

supersonicfifi
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by supersonicfifi » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:55 pm

you are giving me ideas .... i used to have a GIGANTIC 1/48 F-105 a long time ago .....
this picture is playing in my mind :

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:25 pm

If you have the room, the sky is the limit! Many large planes are built in 1/48! I dont collect modern stuff but Ive always liked the A6 Intruder also Russian stuff like the Mig29 and the Mig25

CanberraPaul
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by CanberraPaul » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:43 pm

I have always wanted a V2 in 1 18 Jon.

AV-8B Driver
Corporal
Corporal

Post by AV-8B Driver » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:13 pm

Many cities have a art Co-op where you pay a 30.00 or so membership fee and you have access to 3D printers, ceramic ovens, CAD software and such. I've made a 1/18 Typhoon, Tempest, F4 II, Me-163 and others. I had a Harrier II before Merit. I also have made an assortment of different munitions.

There are now also companies that will print a part for you for a small fee and the CAD software is easy to use and free. It may take 15 pcs to assemble, but for 300.00 you can print and assemble your own whatever. Living close to a College of Art and Design helps...

Pretty soon we will all be able to make our own models with ease. My 3D printer can make a great model of any item the software can handle. I make mine with gear retracted and a not to detailed cockpit because who seriously looks inside the cockpit on a large scale model.

Currently I'm working on a 1/18 He-163 using Solidworks, but there is much simpler stuff out there for free, such as http://www.shapeways.com/

Go for it guys, try to make your own 1/18 model. An easy start would be a V-2.
We are poor little lambs, who have lost our way.. Baa... BAA ..baa..

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:10 pm

AV-8B Driver wrote:Many cities have a art Co-op where you pay a 30.00 or so membership fee and you have access to 3D printers, ceramic ovens, CAD software and such. I've made a 1/18 Typhoon, Tempest, F4 II, Me-163 and others. I had a Harrier II before Merit. I also have made an assortment of different munitions.

There are now also companies that will print a part for you for a small fee and the CAD software is easy to use and free. It may take 15 pcs to assemble, but for 300.00 you can print and assemble your own whatever. Living close to a College of Art and Design helps...

Pretty soon we will all be able to make our own models with ease. My 3D printer can make a great model of any item the software can handle. I make mine with gear retracted and a not to detailed cockpit because who seriously looks inside the cockpit on a large scale model.

Currently I'm working on a 1/18 He-163 using Solidworks, but there is much simpler stuff out there for free, such as http://www.shapeways.com/

Wow! we would all love to see your collection!

supersonicfifi
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by supersonicfifi » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:29 pm

Exactly i want to see a TEMPESTin 1/18 :blueangel:

USCGMK2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by USCGMK2 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:08 am

I'd love to have the Ta-152 conversion, I have a donor 190D I wanted to customize, but a Ta-152 would be sweet. How would the main landing gear work? I'm assuming it would be either permanently up or down?

maritime96
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by maritime96 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:37 am

I have to say Jnewboy, you did some impressive research to bring this together. I definitely think this works best with the smooth contours of aircraft, but I could see some armor coming out of it. Great job my friend!!! :salute:
"When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the
government fears the people you have liberty."
--Thomas Jefferson

AV-8B Driver
Corporal
Corporal

Post by AV-8B Driver » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:56 am

supersonicfifi wrote:Exactly i want to see a TEMPESTin 1/18 :blueangel:

I don't exactly know why Merit decided to make a Harrier II. I made one because I drove one for over 15 years. I think it was a personal favorite decision. And what's with more P-51s, MiG-15s, F-86s..... aren't there enough already?

AV-8B Driver
Corporal
Corporal

Post by AV-8B Driver » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:04 am

Jnewboy wrote:
AV-8B Driver wrote:Many cities have a art Co-op where you pay a 30.00 or so membership fee and you have access to 3D printers, ceramic ovens, CAD software and such. I've made a 1/18 Typhoon, Tempest, F4 II, Me-163 and others. I had a Harrier II before Merit. I also have made an assortment of different munitions.

Wow! we would all love to see your collection!
I'll get some photos up in time. I have a lot of scaled models I'm trying to sell and a lot of what I have are boxed away as my wife and I plan to move to Florida soon.

I have a lot of models I am trying to sell right now for various reasons,

They can be found here:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ResinWarriors ... eader-name

I'm currently tweaking the shipping prices as they have jumped from 15% to 50%, but if one spends $300.00 or more over 4 weeks, and does not mind me sitting on them to combine shipping and save boxes, I will discount the shipping even more.

What I have listed is about 10% of what I have and all my 1/18 scale items are not listed so ask about what else I may have.

Regards,

Semper Fi

AV-8B Driver
Corporal
Corporal

Post by AV-8B Driver » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:18 am

USCGMK2 wrote:I'd love to have the Ta-152 conversion, I have a donor 190D I wanted to customize, but a Ta-152 would be sweet. How would the main landing gear work? I'm assuming it would be either permanently up or down?
I have that on my list to make. I guess it depends on how detailed you want it. The Ta-152 is obviously longer and has a different airframe all around than a Fw-190D. I think a mod with minimal splicing could be done for under $30.00. I use an injection system to make parts as it is very cheap and efficient, plus a 3D printer. I think there is some one that makes conversions but I'm not sure who that is.

Maybe one day after settling down, I will start to sell mod kits and new 1/6, 1/16, 1/18 and 1/32-35 items, but I am retired and running an LLC is a lot of work. I've thought about it before and am currently selling kits for Hot Toys Military, and Hollywood figures, plus some WWII 1/6 scale stuff, but in small quantity.

How do you add pics? I'll have to post some of my stuff.

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:13 pm

[quote="AV-8B Driver

How do you add pics? I'll have to post some of my stuff.[/quote]

You need to have photos on a hosting site like Image Shack or Photobucket. You then need to copy and paste the img.link as opposed to adding it as an attachment like on e-mails. A little tricky but one you've done one, it's easy. If you ever delete the picture from the site, the picture won't load here. Others may have additional tips.

Dennis

What makes the P-51 Mustang so special?

"It would do for 8 hours what a Spitfire would do for 45 minutes."

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

AV-8B Driver
Corporal
Corporal

Post by AV-8B Driver » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:47 pm

CanberraPaul wrote:I have always wanted a V2 in 1 18 Jon.
Shapeways should have a V2 in the catalog. I submitted it a while back. I think it cost me 35.00 to print. I also put landing gear for the F-18 in their catalog as the ABS plastic sucks. With a stronger resin you don't have to worry about bowing. If I remember right I printed it for 50.00 ish but that was years ago before I bought my own printer. The high strength resin works just fine, no need for metal. Printing from Shapeways 3D printers is very cheap and accurate compared to handmade designs.

AV-8B Driver
Corporal
Corporal

Post by AV-8B Driver » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:53 pm

Jnewboy wrote:As promised, here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1O95x6VgNw

It took lots of research and development, $1,000 in materials and a lot of time invested in pioneering this process spanning over about 9 months.

I hope that everyone uses it to make the things they have always wanted. I realize that I could have kept this to myself and made a lot of money off all the builds but I could never make everything that is possible.

My other hope is that builders will work together and support each other on projects.

Stay Thirsty My Friends :D
Nice work I must say....

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:21 pm

USCGMK2 wrote:I'd love to have the Ta-152 conversion, I have a donor 190D I wanted to customize, but a Ta-152 would be sweet. How would the main landing gear work? I'm assuming it would be either permanently up or down?
I will make them able to be up or down but not with a hinge joint like the 21st Cen 190D. It will be a plug in. The Ta152 has another door that totally closes off the wheel well that the 190D did not. That may have to be a hinge. I am trying to keep it a kit and use as many parts from the 190D as possible but if there is to many other modifications it may end up being a stand alone full build. That and the fact that 190D's are now up there in price.