back after absence

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
c119box
Corporal
Corporal

back after absence

Post by c119box » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:16 pm

I guess I'm like many of you, I was a big collector in the days of 21st Century Toys , and was floored when the company went out of business. Since then, I've seen the disappearance of literally all the 1:18 warbird offerings. My last purchase was the SBD four years ago. But, I've hoped for a return of some manufacturers. I can't believe someone has not identified the size of our market. What ever happened to the old molds? Can't somebody buy them and get back into business? I very much treasure my collection, but I get discouraged that I can't find new additions for my fleet.

Can you give me some encouragement that the drought is ending? I see some encouragement in your postings, but nothing firm.

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Re: back after absence

Post by rschaap » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:35 pm

Welcome back c119box glad to see you back on the forum. With the lack of available 1/18 scale planes and armor, I have turned some of my focus to conversions in order to quench my appetite for new 1/18 scale offerings. I have a number of Pickelhaube and Pizzaguy conversions, along with a few others to keep me busy for a while. I dalways keep my eyes on the horizon for anything new popping up. My last purchase was the JSI Harrier. Took a while for the release but I personally found it worth the wait. Who knows what the future has in store for us collectors. All I can say is "Keep the faith" and hope for the best, I do.

normandy
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by normandy » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:16 pm

I as well say welcome back. Things have slowed a little in the 1:18 world, but there are still great custom kits (as stated) from Pickelhaube and Pizzaguy to keep us going.
Still looking forward to the new Merit 1/18 FW-190A due out..............

Keep the faith brother.

c119box
Corporal
Corporal

Post by c119box » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:21 am

Thanks Normandy and rschaap for the welcome back. I recall hearing stories about the Merit FW-190A over a year ago. I would have thought by now there would have some good news. Normandy, do you know anything more?

normandy

Post by normandy » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:16 am

Nothing much, only that it was to follow the Harrier.

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:07 pm

c119box,

Your handle reminds me of my childhood when the C-119 Boxcars would rumble over the house from time to time. They were either out of Dayton or Clinton Co. Air Force Base. Normally in singles but on rare occasion in a pair. I can recall one particular time when there was a flight of nine heading north east just above the tree line in full view. The sound was amazing and seemed to go on forever as they were not in a tidy formation but strung out for quite a ways. They just kept coming and coming. It is burned into my permanant hard drive in my brain and I can see it and hear it like it just happened. I was 9 years old.

As far as 1/18 goes, I believe the future of 1/18 planes rests squarely on the release of the FW-190A and variations available---and the retail.
As much anticipation there is for it, a high retail will sour the release. I fear a $175-$200 price tag will be a deal breaker for multiple examples. Unwanted re-paints from old 21st C. toolings are retailing for well over $100 so I can't see the FW being cheap. There was talk of kit forms like the 21st Century 1/32 stuff had for a while. That would be a plus if it lowered the retail.

What makes the P-51 Mustang so special?

"It would do for 8 hours what a Spitfire would do for 45 minutes."

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

c119box
Corporal
Corporal

Post by c119box » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:30 pm

Axis and all, in High School, I was in the Civil Air Patrol. Our squadron leader was an Air Force Reserve pilot. He arranged a ride in a C-119 during the last days of their service. I'll never forget it.

I agree, the Fw-190 release is critical and pricing will be important. I don't expect to pay the low prices for the 21st C stuff we found at Wal*Mart, and I'm sure Merit is aware there is a price break they must follow. They read these posts and know the market. Just as a side bar, I bought a 21st C Spitfire at Wal*Mart on clearance for $8.00 once, but those days are over.