1/18 FW 190A - BACK OPEN

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Black_Dragon_One
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: 1/18 FW-190A?

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:25 pm

I have seen the bird in person can't say much but do not give up hope
whats up doc....

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:27 pm

I ask merit what I can tell you... project still a go that is all I can say
whats up doc....

teebird
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by teebird » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:39 pm

All,

When I saw the FW-190A prototype in person years ago I was impressed. The shape, surface detail, features and crispness of it overall were impressive. If Merit puts out something really close to what I saw, held in my hands and drooled over it will be well worth the wait. The Harrier prototype was at the same location (IPMS nationals in VA) and was also very very impressive. Judging by the slight changes from the Harrier prototype to the production piece we all now can buy I'm guessing there will be little things that might change for production on the FW. The Harrier prototype was expertly assembled and fitted, the production pieces I have all vary in quality somewhat. I don't think the FW-190 A production pieces can be as nice in every case as the prototype. I'm guessing they will have a bit of production variation like we have seen in the Harrier. What I saw and played with was so far and away superior to the 21st Dora that I think most interested collectors will buy at least one. Probably many of us will buy several for repaints, customizing etc. My guess is that the Merit FW-190A will be one of the best 1/18 releases ever. As a FW-190 series enthusiast I too am growing impatient leading to a couple A model 'bashes based on the 'Dora. Pretty fun but lots of work. Hooray in advance to Merit if they can get it into our hands! I'm sure brining it into production and to market is no small task.

Still optimistic,

Teebird

Axis Nightmare

Re: 1/18 FW 190A?

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:26 pm

I've had a fund stashed to purchase multiple units of this plane for over 2 years. I've raided the fund and replenished it several times.

Now it's been so long and so disappointing that I wouldn't buy one if it was the last model on earth!!!!!! :twisted:

Of course if it does come true and is as nice as some are saying, I'll forget I ever said that. :P
Last edited by Axis Nightmare on Thu May 26, 2016 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

What makes the P-51 Mustang so special?

"It would do for 8 hours what a Spitfire would do for 45 minutes."

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:55 pm

As I stood next to our FW-190A at the Museum today, we discussed the details of how the inboard cannon positions would double as an air intake to allow venting around the feet of the pilot as it would relieve some of the engine heat issues for pilot comfort. Then my thoughts turned to how neat it would have been to have a 1/18 model of the A-F. :(

Yes, another month has gone by and not a peep out of Merit. The longer it goes, the more the hope fades.

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

teebird
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by teebird » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:23 am

Indeed another month has passed. My only positive I can contribute is that we had very little warning that the harrier was coming on any date certain then "poof" there it was! Hopefully this is the same pattern we see this time. Let us hope that somewhere in China there are 300 people building 1/18 FW-190's right now! Maybe the shiny boxes they are filling up are going into a dozen conex containers that will speed to the dock and get stacked onto a big container ship today!!?? We can only hope that said container ship is already nearing the western shore of the USA somewhere!

Sigh, I'm almost out of positive motivational speaker messages on this topic........

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:09 pm

teebird wrote:Indeed another month has passed. My only positive I can contribute is that we had very little warning that the harrier was coming on any date certain then "poof" there it was! Hopefully this is the same pattern we see this time. Let us hope that somewhere in China there are 300 people building 1/18 FW-190's right now! Maybe the shiny boxes they are filling up are going into a dozen conex containers that will speed to the dock and get stacked onto a big container ship today!!?? We can only hope that said container ship is already nearing the western shore of the USA somewhere!

Sigh, I'm almost out of positive motivational speaker messages on this topic........
Nice wishful thinking but I would assume retailers that are going to sell it would have been informed and taking the dreaded "pre-orders" if infact product was headed for our shores or even scheduled to be headed for our shores. And not even then do pre-orders guarantee anything. :roll:
Last edited by Axis Nightmare on Thu May 26, 2016 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

teebird
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by teebird » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:44 pm

Ok brother, you're making me sad now, getting all logical n using sound deductive reasoning here:)) you are pretty solidly describing things I'm guessing. Ok this thread is getting depressing lets go back to the tried and true, what is the single most desired WW2 prop driven single engine fighter or variant never mass produced in 1/18? (besides the FW-190A)

Hurricaine?
Later mark Spitfires?
P-51B/C?
Raiden?
Yak-3?
P-47N?

Just going over old ground again I guess but tastes change over time......

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:24 am

Hurricane and Oscar. Yak close third.

Each country seemed to have their dynamic duos.

Corsair-Hellcat
Mustang-Thunderbolt
Spitfire-Hurricane
Zero-Oscar
Yak-Lagg

You can see which ones we're missing
Last edited by Axis Nightmare on Thu May 26, 2016 11:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

teebird
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by teebird » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:42 am

How could I forget Oscar!!?? Well I'm a raiden fan from the building of an old revel 1/32 kit as a kid. Ok we need to find someone who has the Skyworks Hurricaine and get them to let me borrow it. I've heard it's pretty bad but I've never seen a finished one or a kit. Who has one???? Oscar is going to take a bit more of a ground up effort. I think efforts into the Hurricaine are far more fruitful and nearer term.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:25 am

You guys forgot the p-40E. Skyworks had a conversion kit for the P-40B Tomahawk, but as of yet none have been done otherwise. :) Plenty of choices for different ones from different countries who flew them.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

teebird
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by teebird » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:18 pm

Great plane indeed. I need to look it up but I think the fuselage was longer on the E as well as several other changes. If that's correct I winder if the conversion accounted for that?

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:47 pm

teebird wrote:Great plane indeed. I need to look it up but I think the fuselage was longer on the E as well as several other changes. If that's correct I winder if the conversion accounted for that?
Agreed, much more than just the nose area for sure.

A ground-up P-40-E, F, K, M or N would be special.
Last edited by Axis Nightmare on Thu May 26, 2016 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:48 am

If Focke-Wulf had taken this long to produce production models of the real FW-190A, it likely wouldn't have entered service before the war ended. :P

tick....tick....tick....tick.... :roll:
Last edited by Axis Nightmare on Thu May 26, 2016 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:05 am

Everyone, you may want to check out these pictures Aviatornut posted on his Facebook page...

https://www.facebook.com/Aviatornutcom/ ... =3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/Aviatornutcom/ ... =3&theater

Surprised they haven't been posted here yet. Hard to tell if this is a paint master/test run or the final deal. I like the weathering and overall look of the plane; I'm a little less enthusiastic about the chosen paint scheme. Flashy, but it wouldn't have been my first choice for a FW-190A... Hopefully there will be eventual repaints!
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

normandy

Post by normandy » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:33 pm

Looks promising, although not much information on it yet. If this is the Merit 1:18 190, I'd add
it to the collection!

mountian-man
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by mountian-man » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:04 pm

Wow, if that's Merit's Fw-190 I'm pleasantly surprised. I imagine that's a paint master since the weathering looks hand applied.

Tman: I'm surprised you don't like the markings, I was very excited when I saw them as Hermann Graf was an incredible pilot/ace. If these are the production markings it will go well with the coveted 21st Century 'Starburst' Bf-109G also flown by Graf. I'm sure they'll make a few different paint schemes, to make it worth while.

Crazy Kraut
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Crazy Kraut » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:44 pm

If this is the upcoming 190 in 1:18 it is clear buy for me 8) 8) 8)
Wir haben gehurt, gekämpft und gesoffen, des Führers Mühlen verbraucht, sind auf dem Zahnfleisch gekrochen, doch haben wir uns teuer verkauft.
JG300 Wilde Sau

skorzeny
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by skorzeny » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:14 pm

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:13 pm

mountian-man wrote:Tman: I'm surprised you don't like the markings, I was very excited when I saw them as Hermann Graf was an incredible pilot/ace. If these are the production markings it will go well with the coveted 21st Century 'Starburst' Bf-109G also flown by Graf. I'm sure they'll make a few different paint schemes, to make it worth while.
Ah, I had forgotten that was Hermann Graf's plane. I don't hate the scheme, just wish it was a bit more "standard" very much like the 21c 32x FW-190 "Yellow 11" from JG 1. Nevertheless, I will be getting the Merit FW-190 when it's available :D

Ironically, I was conversing with another board member off the forum about how much the new FW-190 resembled 21c's Hermann Graf BF-109G... Those were all over my area in California 10+ years ago and didn't move, both at Walmart and the local hobby store... I used to have one even, but let it go when more detailed versions came along. Funny to think that they're rare now!
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

pvanroy
Corporal
Corporal

Post by pvanroy » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:31 pm

The model gives a pretty good overall impression in these shots. However, as far as the markings go: during his short tenure at the command of EJGr. Ost, Graf flew an Fw 190 A-4 and an Fw 190 A-5. While the markings appear correct for his A-5, the aircraft in the pictures has the bulged MG 131 cowl that was first introduced on the A-7. In any case, if I recall correctly, Merit was going to release both A-5 and A-8 variants, so I imagine that the flatter MG 17 cowl for the A-5 will be available too. Hope this does get released as a kit!

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:46 pm

tman,

Funny thing also is I just purchased a Hasegawa FW190A5 in 1/32, and it is the same plane. It even comes with a little resin Graf figure standing proudly in his officer's coat.

I like the scheme for the color splash that makes it stand out from the more typical patterns. I plan on building one of the checkerboard 190's eventually as well.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:43 pm

Way cool. 8)

How long has it been since we've seen a new WWII aircraft in 1:18. :salute:
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:38 pm

Greetings:

I know everyone is not a photographer like Britt is, or like some others are on the forum. But I really wish people would learn not to take blurry photographs of stuff. Ugh! We want to see this plane! I wish people would learn cellphones are not cameras!

That being said the new model looks okay. I like Tman would have preferred a more standard scheme. But it will be cool if this finally comes out. Something needs to energize the hobby because 1/18 is just not selling like it used to. It took forever for the SBD's to sell and the SBD is a very well-known plane in the American market. The 190 is well known with aviation folks but not really mainstream to the American public.

Hopefully better photographs of this thing emerge.

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:54 am

Coreyeagle48 wrote:Greetings:

I know everyone is not a photographer like Britt is, or like some others are on the forum. But I really wish people would learn not to take blurry photographs of stuff. Ugh! We want to see this plane! I wish people would learn cellphones are not cameras!

Corey
:lol: :lol: :lol:

It's not often that I get to laugh at 3:45 AM when I get up to go to work.
Not only are cell phones cameras to so many these days, they are their entire life control device. I see people who won't take them out of their hand to shop, checkout at the store, tend to their children, walk across a parking lot, and unfortunately, drive. And it's not just teenage girls. I see grandmothers, 30 and 40 year old moms, and grown men. The highschool girls line up at Starbucks in the morning at the one Kroger I do work in and apparently must arrive at the school across the street with a Starbucks in one hand while their head is buried in their smart phone in their other hand in order to not be a social outcast....But this is soooo... off topic.

If this is the long awaited 190, does it represent an F? I don't see any outboard cannon that would be on the A-8.
Last edited by Axis Nightmare on Thu May 26, 2016 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager