1/18 FW 190A - BACK OPEN

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
teebird
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: 1/18 FW 190A - BACK OPEN

Post by teebird » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:43 pm

Which retailer did u get it from?

Jackson
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Jackson » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:59 pm

Finally they come out with the Shrike... will wait on the Yellow 17 version after it makes it to U.S retailers, will be easier to convert into a Richthofen Sqdrn. with the Eagle flash onto the cowling. Nice looking bird just don't like the cowling tulip paint and rudder scheme. The weathering on the one shown hanging from the ceiling is in-consistent with how weathering would occur, The front cowling behind the propeller with the tulip flashes would be more weathered than or as much as than which is shown on the canopy, any leading edges of a painted warbird is gonna show weathering at all such points, starting with front of the bird, propeller, cowling, wings along with vert stab and horizontal stabs. IMO but just happy it's gonna be available soon [HOPEFULLY] in the States very soon. But then again if it's the first version available in U.S. I'm sure I'll get one.... Yay !!!!
ya gonna pull them pistols or whistle Dixie

Crazy Kraut
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Crazy Kraut » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:51 am

I´ll try to put 21st pilotfigures inside. For that you can take away the whole canopy.
If got mine from WARBIRDMODELLE GERMANY.
Of course it needs a little bit of weathering. But after all I´m happy to have the short nose Version of the Butcherbird.
I don´t know if the yellow 17 is even scheduled. Never heard from that one but will press all thumbs for more A5-versions with less colourfull schemes.
Wir haben gehurt, gekämpft und gesoffen, des Führers Mühlen verbraucht, sind auf dem Zahnfleisch gekrochen, doch haben wir uns teuer verkauft.
JG300 Wilde Sau

oberstengel
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by oberstengel » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:00 am

Are you saying the "yellow 17" is an upcoming release?

Crazy Kraut
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Crazy Kraut » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:10 am

I don´t say that. Jackson wrote: "... will wait on the Yellow 17 version after it makes it to U.S retailers".
Never heard something like that here in Germany.
Wir haben gehurt, gekämpft und gesoffen, des Führers Mühlen verbraucht, sind auf dem Zahnfleisch gekrochen, doch haben wir uns teuer verkauft.
JG300 Wilde Sau

Jackson
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Jackson » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:21 am

Crazy Kraut wrote:I don´t say that. Jackson wrote: "... will wait on the Yellow 17 version after it makes it to U.S retailers".
Never heard something like that here in Germany.
well I was just assuming since both profiles were shown but anyway will the tulip version be available here in the states sometime soon.?

Crazy Kraut
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Crazy Kraut » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:54 pm

the 21st FW190 D9 or Me109 G6 pilot fits. But only without bottom and legs :roll: :roll:

JG300 Wilde Sau

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:14 pm

Very glad to see you actually have the Merit FW-190 "in hand" :D

Guess it is the real deal now, though I'll wait to order if/when they become available in the USA.

Not surprised you had to remove the lower legs of the figure to get it to fit... It was the same with the excellent Merit SBD Dauntless. In real life, one's legs scrunch up between the seat and the rudder pedals in an airplane, which is difficult to do with a standard 1/18 scale action figure. While most of our 1/18 planes have included the rudder pedals, they were usually set further back than they would be in real life so that a figure could be fit in easily.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Mad Sam
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Mad Sam » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:15 am

I just received mine, purchased from Germany, arrived in the UK four days later.
Glad to have one in my collection.

pvanroy
Corporal
Corporal

Post by pvanroy » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:40 am

That looks very nice overall, and given that the gun hood is a separate piece, we'll probably be seeing the A-8 and/or F-8 some time down the line as well. One thing that does jump out at me is that the stance of the main gear is too vertical, it should have more forward rake. In any case, that's no deal breaker for me. While not cheap, price isn't too bad either, considering the size of the model; compare to this (admittedly highly detailed) kit of a 1/18 Bf 109E: http://www.hphmodels.cz/en/model-kits-i ... u-118.html

As far as the weathering is concerned: it looks a bit unrealistic indeed. Also, Graf's Fw 190A-5 was rather pristine - he flew this aircraft only during the few months he commanded EJgr. Ost, which was a training unit. Some good images and information on his aircraft can be found here: http://falkeeins.blogspot.be/2010/04/he ... -wulf.html

Does anyone know whether this model will also be offered as a kit?

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:09 pm

pvanroy wrote: One thing that does jump out at me is that the stance of the main gear is too vertical, it should have more forward rake. In any case, that's no deal breaker for me.
Yes, agreed. Also agree not a deal breaker. 8)

What makes the P-51 Mustang so special?

"It would do for 8 hours what a Spitfire would do for 45 minutes."

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

teebird
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by teebird » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:46 pm

From what I see I agree the gear stance looks upright on the pics we have seen so far. Hopefully it's just the photo angle or something. I ordered one from Germany today, hopefully it's a fairly fast delivery. Anyone hear or see any U.S. Sellers with in stock or delivery/shipping dates?

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:22 am

teebird wrote:From what I see I agree the gear stance looks upright on the pics we have seen so far. Hopefully it's just the photo angle or something. I ordered one from Germany today, hopefully it's a fairly fast delivery. Anyone hear or see any U.S. Sellers with in stock or delivery/shipping dates?
Isaiah at MTS Toy and Hobby said he is waiting on an ETA from Merit for a container coming to the USA.

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:51 pm

I stopped by my local Hobbytown USA store this morning, my buddy who knows the Merit guys was there, and I asked if he'd heard anything about the FW190 being released in the US. He actually got on the phone, spoke with the #2 guy in the company only to learn they had almost no idea the plane had been released in Germany :shock: We told him we had photos of the plane, in a Merit box, in hand in Germany. Apparently, Merit is in a partnership with Trumpeter - whose factory makes Merit's prebuilt and kit items - and there are other distributors in partnership as well, which may explain how they FW190 has shown up in Germany. Apparently, Merit has not yet ordered a container for US distribution and we couldn't get a specific answer about when that might happen... It was a bit disconcerting that the parent company didn't know its plane was already on the market :roll:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:29 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:I stopped by my local Hobbytown USA store this morning, my buddy who knows the Merit guys was there, and I asked if he'd heard anything about the FW190 being released in the US. He actually got on the phone, spoke with the #2 guy in the company only to learn they had almost no idea the plane had been released in Germany :shock: We told him we had photos of the plane, in a Merit box, in hand in Germany. Apparently, Merit is in a partnership with Trumpeter - whose factory makes Merit's prebuilt and kit items - and there are other distributors in partnership as well, which may explain how they FW190 has shown up in Germany. Apparently, Merit has not yet ordered a container for US distribution and we couldn't get a specific answer about when that might happen... It was a bit disconcerting that the parent company didn't know its plane was already on the market :roll:
The above is beyond any logical business sense. Either Merit is the parent company in name only with this project or they are totally disfunctional. They are obviously not calling the shots on this one. No wonder nothing has been on their website about the FW. :?

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

Jackson
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Jackson » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:10 pm

Agreed on stance of wheels, should be a more forward rake, Frog on Ski's the Skrike should be, but yes not a deal breaker in gettin' one...

dogbongo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dogbongo » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:31 am

Thanks for the update Tman, and maybe thanks for getting the wheels rolling on a U.S. container!?! I'm usually on deck for a new release, but glued canopy on the Harrier was a deal breaker. I'm up for a 190 or two, so c'mon Merit, get your shit together!
"... be man enough to sign your name to it, not hide in annonimity. And use spell check." ~ onWu

norman888
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by norman888 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:23 am

Received my FW190 from Germany, took about 2 weeks. 159 Euro shipped to Illinois.

Very happy about this.

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:27 pm

norman888 wrote:Received my FW190 from Germany, took about 2 weeks. 159 Euro shipped to Illinois.

Very happy about this.
I don't do facebook, twitter or Pokemon....and I don't do Euros so if you want to sell more FW 190s, Merit/Trumpeter, you might want to get some here for distribution. :roll:

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

teebird
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by teebird » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:37 pm

WAHOOOOOOO!!!! Mine just showed up from Deutschland!!! It looks the same as the others so I won't post pics. Opening it up now.....

teebird
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by teebird » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:43 pm

Hold on a minute........ Seeing some problems.....

teebird
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by teebird » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:03 pm

I'm going to just say a couple quick things. The surface detail and fineness of the molding is excellent. I'm going to do some more measuring and research before I say much more but the landing gear angle is far too upright under the model and my drill bits and Moro tool are already out and I'm chopping away here to see what can be done........

teebird
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by teebird » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:30 pm

Ok, I drilled a hole in the leading edge of the wing at a wild ass guessed angle to remove plastic where I thought the gear hinge pins needed to be. It worked! I then fashioned a hardwood wedge out of Fondue sticks since that's all I had close by. I shaped 2 wedges that hasve flat sections for the gear pins to bear on and left the rear part of the wedge the same round shape as the hole I drilled in the wing. I glued them in place and it forces the pin angles to sweep the gear legs forward. The gear will need a more careful and deeper effort to retract properly if they are reworked. My solution is really only good for sitting in the ground or gear down which is how most of my models are displayed anyways.. I have a very small fill and touch up job now, easy easy...

With the gear angle re done the model is really really cool. It took about 20 minutes to do the mod. There are other things I'm studying on the model as far as scaling and accuracy goes but as far as I'm concerned this is a fantastic effort by Merit! If they get offered by a U.S. Distributor I think they will sell fast!! I'll try to send some pics of my mod job as able.

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:10 pm

Hmmmmm.....

No U.S. distributors still? Was the Harrier a failed project? Too many left over MiGs and 109Es still in inventories? Something has U.S. distributors holding back on this product. Maybe waiting to see how Germany does with it? Not willing or able to put up the $$$ to invest in pre-built 1/18 at this critical time? If this product doesn't make it to our shores before the Christmas rush I don't see it coming after the first of the year. :( Wouldn't make sense. But then, this whole process hasn't made much sense yet. :wink:

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

teebird
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by teebird » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:01 pm

Yeah what gives?

I have not seen it in the U.S. For sale yet:( the one I purchased was off Evilbay and I paid in Euro which never is good for the U.S. Buyer. Once shipping was factored in I'm sure it was in the $200 range. Still I actually am quite OK with that price for this quality effort! The more I look at it the better I like it! After the gear mod I did it's really really growing on me:)