1/18 FW 190A - BACK OPEN

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Black_Dragon_One
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: 1/18 FW-190A?

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Wed May 04, 2016 1:42 am

I live 45 minutes away from merits and they were nice enough to show me around when I got there . I promise to not say anything about the Japanese av 8b and the fulkwolf.. there handful people doing a lot of project for a living not just 1 18..China manufacturer is a tough market they do not care about our hobbies,. To the Chinese manufacturer it just another project. So the manufacturer try to cut corner if merits employee don't hold them down to our standard. Remember there may be one to two employees working on this project from start to finish and they too have other projects in the work.. it is really a lot of work bring a 1 18 scale item to market.. be nice to merit because the one or two people who work on our projects has work really hard the year and a half to get us our stuff...remember merit is not like hasbro with limitless manpower and resources. And the employees are people too..who do there best with limited time and resources
whats up doc....

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed May 04, 2016 8:19 am

Black_Dragon_One wrote:I live 45 minutes away from merits and they were nice enough to show me around when I got there . I promise to not say anything about the Japanese av 8b and the fulkwolf.. there handful people doing a lot of project for a living not just 1 18..China manufacturer is a tough market they do not care about our hobbies,. To the Chinese manufacturer it just another project. So the manufacturer try to cut corner if merits employee don't hold them down to our standard. Remember there may be one to two employees working on this project from start to finish and they too have other projects in the work.. it is really a lot of work bring a 1 18 scale item to market.. be nice to merit because the one or two people who work on our projects has work really hard the year and a half to get us our stuff...remember merit is not like hasbro with limitless manpower and resources. And the employees are people too..who do there best with limited time and resources
Good observations, BD1! I think you may have hit the nail on the head with Merit. Know I've been saying for some time that the issues that result may have more to do with the Chinese manufacturers than Merit itself...
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

greendevil41
Corporal
Corporal

Post by greendevil41 » Wed May 04, 2016 9:39 am

B D O Thanks for the update. Good information that I was unaware of. Limited production run items do take a lot of time from conception to finished product. My only suggestion to Merit would be to provide periodic updates as these planes are eagerly awaited and the ensuing long silences are frustrating (hence things like the Hitler video!) The plane looks good as is since guys like Pickle and Nick could make the necessary model specific corrective parts and hopefully someone else steps up with different decal options.

norman888
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by norman888 » Thu May 05, 2016 7:53 pm

greendevil41 wrote:
Some other areas needing improvement I've noted are:
cockpit (in progress)
armored canopy "blinkers" (sturmbock)
side armor (sturmbock)
wheel wells
bulges on the upper wing for the added outboard armament
adding side vents to the engine cowling
ETC external stores rack
maybe some kind of engine facade behind the cooling fan

Anything I've missed?

norman888: Agree Nick's WGr 21's rock! How far are you on your conversion?
I have exactly the same plan as you do--it's really funny. Same starting point with a Michalski FW190D! I also want to do a Sturmbock; probably from JG3 with the black cowling. Unfortunately I only have the parts along with the research materials to do this. Need more hobby time for sure.

Aviatornut.com
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Aviatornut.com » Sun May 08, 2016 7:28 pm

Let set the record straight. The Fw190 I took pictures of was from Merit and posted them to bring relevant information and not cause a war. I was asked to remove it because of the problem it caused.
Now I get a negative review from Nick or Tresario on my Facebook account.
This is why dealers or Distributor don't want to release information on this forum.
Sad because I consider you all friends and have personally met a lot of you BUT this hurts

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Sun May 08, 2016 7:50 pm

Less Filling? Tastes Great?

Jesus age Christ. It's a pre-built model made by teenagers in China. If it comes with a Black Ice Tree Air Freshner over the Revi16B gunsight, I'd be just fine and happy. For once the dang thing is coming to fruition.

This isn't the joke that was the SpotCat. This is catty bickering by some who can't seem to play well with other children and probably needed a helmet when they were young.

Bulges? At this point I don't care if it comes with Kurt Tank himself at the helm with a gigantic bulge in his flightsuit. Do you plan on taking your screwed-up-bulge Anton to an IPMS show? Because that would be hilarious. Taking a pre-made model that may have some inaccuracies to a bunch of guys who count the number of rivets of the dang seat of some obscure variant seatbelt in a Gamma Goat? What kind of contest are you trying to win? Is is that important? Good lord.

And AVnut, thanks dude. I ACTUALLY appreciated the photos. Not perfect but a neat sneak peak, and thank you sir.

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Sun May 08, 2016 8:41 pm

Sorry to hear that Av'nut. It must be difficult having information you know will make people excited, only to have them question or criticize one thing or another.
The only thing that concerns me and will make or break it, is the price (and I think that is a fair "how much would I spend on a toy" question). I did manage to snag a 1:18 harrier through a NZ importer and that model is probably my ceiling for money spent on a single plane. I'm still annoyed I didn't get a 1:18 tomcat when they were a reasonable price. I'm hoping the butcher bird will one day be on my shelf.
I think as long as it doesn't have pilots legs sticking out were the landing gear should be, it'll be great. If people are that concerned with inaccuracies, then they are free to modify the model themselves...............You can always just pm me intel Av'nut :wink:
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"

Winterstar
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Winterstar » Sun May 08, 2016 11:24 pm

Thank you for sharing the pics and reigniting hope in Merit, John. It was appreciated.

Sadly there are people in this world who can't find joy in simple things, or are so miserable that they feel a need to suck the joy out of others in the name of being right. It happens in every hobby.

The negative review on facebook is petty.

Axis Nightmare

Re: 1/18 FW 190A?

Post by Axis Nightmare » Mon May 09, 2016 1:38 am

NWarty wrote:Less Filling? Tastes Great?

Jesus age Christ. It's a pre-built model made by teenagers in China. If it comes with a Black Ice Tree Air Freshner over the Revi16B gunsight, I'd be just fine and happy. For once the dang thing is coming to fruition.

This isn't the joke that was the SpotCat. This is catty bickering by some who can't seem to play well with other children and probably needed a helmet when they were young.

Bulges? At this point I don't care if it comes with Kurt Tank himself at the helm with a gigantic bulge in his flightsuit. Do you plan on taking your screwed-up-bulge Anton to an IPMS show? Because that would be hilarious. Taking a pre-made model that may have some inaccuracies to a bunch of guys who count the number of rivets of the dang seat of some obscure variant seatbelt in a Gamma Goat? What kind of contest are you trying to win? Is is that important? Good lord.

And AVnut, thanks dude. I ACTUALLY appreciated the photos. Not perfect but a neat sneak peak, and thank you sir.
:lol: I like having a laugh at 04:15 in the morning when I get up. I don't know what everyone else was trying to say but I know my observations were just trying to figure out what model they were trying to represent. Especially since Merit won't say anything about their product. :roll: Marketing is not their strong suit. Don't care if it's an A-5, F, or A-8 so long as it is close to historically accurate which to me can be the difference between a model and a toy. As soon as I saw the pictures I thought F? that's odd that they would start with an F model. The gift and curse of being a research geek. :wink:
Last edited by Axis Nightmare on Thu May 26, 2016 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

What makes the P-51 Mustang so special?

"It would do for 8 hours what a Spitfire would do for 45 minutes."

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Mon May 09, 2016 9:00 am

Jay wrote:If people are that concerned with inaccuracies, then they are free to modify the model themselves...............
This is the future. 3D printing and casting have both proven that they can fix inaccuracies, enhance existing models and even fill entire gaps in specific lines or versions. The only challenge today is that these tweaks are more accessible to those with the time and/or skills to model or pay their way to success. Modding my way to something I wanted, like a 1:18 Stug IV, is what lead me down the path I'm on now. I realize not everyone is in a position or has the desire to do that but it's worlds better than it was before. It's really an amazing time to be in this hobby with even greater times to come.

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Mon May 09, 2016 6:55 pm

I hope everyone's had an opportunity to read Britt's announcement post at the top of the Forum page.

Merit set the bar really high with their Dauntless. The expectations and anticipation for the FW-190 are also high.

I went back and read from the beginning since I started it. Origianlly it was a "what happened to the FW?" thread. The lack of info from Merit was the root cause that started speculation and rumor. I was trying to fish for info after each month passed with some light humor attempts and some sarcasm, all in fun and all in the hopes it would stimulate some solid intel. Then the posts got hijacked and way off topic as they often do with a multi-person arguement. This certainly was never my intentions from the start.

I don't have a Facebook account So here and now I will say thank you Aviatornut and BD1 for your input. I hope Merit knows there are lots of customers passionate about the FW and ready to buy their product, me included for sure! :wink:

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Sun May 22, 2016 11:10 pm

norman888 wrote:I'm with Mike. I have the same Skyworks conversion but really need a FW190A spinner. Could you make this Nick? Purchased your WGR21's and they are really great.
This is a good idea! Nick can you make this?

greendevil41
Corporal
Corporal

Post by greendevil41 » Tue May 24, 2016 9:35 pm

I'm glad to see this idea being revived. I had e-mailed Nick on this possibility but he wasn't too receptive to what at that point would have been a labor intensive project for one spinner and replacement blades order. He pointed out that it requires 100's of hours of scratch building to get all of the issues fixed when converting the D's to A's (I think he has actually made two of them!) and while I know mine wouldn't be on a par with his I think a few of the more talented guys here who are sitting on these existing conversion parts can at least get something close as a stop gap until the long awaited Merit plane comes along. This spinner / VDM 9-12176A (or similar) prop blade replacement is the one issue I can't figure out how to resolve. Sounds like there are at least a few of us in the same boat. I wish Nick or Pickle would consider they're own conversion set as it would give us some hope to get our Wurgers done. Even if the Merit planes showed up tomorrow, I've still got a partially cut up D-9 I'd like to salvage. Hopefully Nick will take pity on us! :(

Nick_Karatzides
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Nick_Karatzides » Wed May 25, 2016 4:30 am

Jnewboy wrote:
norman888 wrote:I have the same Skyworks conversion but really need a FW190A spinner. Could you make this Nick? Purchased your WGR21's and they are really great.
This is a good idea! Nick can you make this?
greendevil41 wrote:I wish Nick or Pickle would consider they're own conversion set as it would give us some hope to get our Wurgers done. Even if the Merit planes showed up tomorrow, I've still got a partially cut up D-9 I'd like to salvage. Hopefully Nick will take pity on us!
@ norman888, Jnewboy and greendevil41,

First, thank you for your confidence to choose Anyuta 3D products and I appreciate your interest on items CAD designed by me and produced by Shapeways with FUD - Frosted Ultra Detail plastic material. It's always a pleasure to build highly detailed 3D printed scale model kits & diorama accessories for fellow modelers and forum members. Just for the record, during last month, more that 40 sets of 1/18 scale Werfer Granate BR21 rocket launchers sold - meaning that there are many FW-190 (and Bf-109 too) lovers out there.

Yes, as Mike (greendevil41) previously said, I 've already successfully attempt twice to convert an FW-190D9 Dora to a FW-190A3 Würger, one for my personal collection in home and one for a customer who ordered it and paid a lot. Considering that converting the D9 to A3 version isn't just some nose & prop replacement and that it takes massive scratchbuilding, lot of plastic add-on, new tail part and countless hours on hobby bench, I would say with confidence that even if I would release a D9 to A3 version 3D printed conversion set, it would be a huge project for the average scale modeler to accomplish. Plus, it would be quite expensive, considering the 1/18 scale size and FUD plastic material needed. The A3 version is quite different from the D9, much shorter (approx 1.2 meters in reality meaning about 67 mm = 2.63 inches under 1/18 scale!) and with many details that should be removed or placed as new from scratch. It's just not worth the headache, unless the customer is willing to pay a 4-digits purchase price. At least not now, that a long-awaited Würger is advertised / promised / expected (?).

Regarding the aforementioned Focke Wulf FW-190A Würger spinner conversion, ofcourse it would be possible to make it real, as soon as some 1/18 scale Würger model finaly arrives - if arrives. Until reach that moment, I think it is better to ask the manufacturers & distributers who promised production & availability for model purchase "soon" but keep stalling the project since 2013 or earlier. IMHO, it'll be a good way to find out whether there is reliability on sonorous ads or not. So, as soon as the long-awaited Würger will be available for sale and we all forum members & 1/18 scale lovers purchase it and really need to change the spinner or other features on plane, we'll be still here to discuss about 3D printed accessories & convertions on main model.

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Wed May 25, 2016 11:22 am

Its not as hard as you may think, I have the Skyworks kit, its really good and can be cast and poured much cheaper than a 3d model, you dont need a new tail, just take a razor saw and slice off the extension part in the D9 tail. The prop and the glass are all thats left. The glass can be done by vac form or stretching heated plastic over a hard clay mold of the cockpit.

All thats left is the prop. :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Thu May 26, 2016 5:39 pm

Well this is embarrasing :oops:

I made a technical error in these posts here and it has spread throughout without being detected (as far as I know). It was pointed out to me by a fresh-out-of-college degreed history major at the Museum who is a walking computer hard drive and OCD about aviation history. Here I am being a stickler on details and then make a detail error....and I've been making it for decades. Very un-museum like.

Unlike our U.S. designations like B-17G, P-51D, P-47D, etc., there is no dash (-) between FW and 190. There is also no dash between BF and 109 or Me and 262 or JU and 87 and so-on. :roll: Sure enough I went into our massive library and confirmed it in every reference book I found. I was making individual I.D. cards for our hanging 1/18 planes when it was pointed out. I had to redo a couple. I had FW-190D Dora and Ju-87B Stuka already done. We might not require the accuracy here but I sure need to do it in a Museum setting! :wink:

I've done a lot of editing of my posts here to get rid of those dashes including the title above. :salute:

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Thu May 26, 2016 6:27 pm

Axis Nightmare wrote:Well this is embarrasing :oops:

I made a technical error in these posts here and it has spread throughout without being detected (as far as I know). It was pointed out to me by a fresh-out-of-college degreed history major at the Museum who is a walking computer hard drive and OCD about aviation history. Here I am being a stickler on details and then make a detail error....and I've been making it for decades. Very un-museum like.

Unlike our U.S. designations like B-17G, P-51D, P-47D, etc., there is no dash (-) between FW and 190. There is also no dash between BF and 109 or Me and 262 or JU and 87 and so-on. :roll: Sure enough I went into our massive library and confirmed it in every reference book I found. I was making individual I.D. cards for our hanging 1/18 planes when it was pointed out. I had to redo a couple. I had FW-190D Dora and Ju-87B Stuka already done. We might not require the accuracy here but I sure need to do it in a Museum setting! :wink:

Dont worry about it, no one cares about if the Germans used dashes or not. It makes things easier, I would like to take that OCD kid and make him watch "Red Tails" over and over until his head explodes from all the inaccuracies! :lol: :lol:

I've done a lot of editing of my posts here to get rid of those dashes including the title above. :salute:

teebird
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by teebird » Thu May 26, 2016 7:29 pm

Jon,

Would it be possible for someone to delete the entire "red tails" movie??

Aviatornut.com
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Aviatornut.com » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:45 pm

posted a picture of the FW190A packaging on facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/Aviatornutcom/ ... =3&theater

No description or more information at this time. Merit asked me to take it down last time.
PLEASE have a positive attitude because it only hurts our hobby with negative comments and accusations. No name calling.
Thanks to all my friends on here and I will try to bring more details as I find out.
Last edited by Aviatornut.com on Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:06 pm

Well, seems like we're getting closer to this release :D

And while the craziness and insults that marked this thread earlier were not warranted - and certainly not appreciated - it is OK to criticize these items when it is needed. It stifles the purpose of a public discussion forum if all one can say is that they love this stuff. Years ago there was this whole "I love 21c" vibe around here, even when they turned out poor-quality items. More recently, the Harrier is a great model, but had several severe drawbacks including a goofed paintjob, fixed canopy, and needless QC errors like the large gap in the wing root that should have not been there. Those are all valid criticisms and should hopefully be fixed on future releases.

Nevertheless, I'm thrilled to see that we will soon have the FW-190 and while I'm not 100% jazzed by the choice of paint for the inaugural edition, I do certainly plan to purchase one :D
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:50 pm

Axis,

You're not alone. I ws just at the Infantry Museum at Ft. Benning and they have a diorama representing the battle at Kasserine Pass in North Africa, and the Pz.Kpfw. IV Ausf. G is equipped with schürzen - which were designed to defeat Soviet AT weapons. Which there weren't any in North Africa.

Also, the skirts became available only a couple of months before Germany lost that campaign.

p51
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Post by p51 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:03 pm

ADMIN EDIT - Now that Nick is gone, I'm reopening this forum for FW-190 discussion with all the drama removed.... sorry for the interruptions.

skorzeny
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Re: 1/18 FW 190A - BACK OPEN

Post by skorzeny » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:51 am

Aviatornut.com
https://www.facebook.com/Aviatornutcom/ ... =3&theater

Aviatornut.com

https://www.facebook.com/Aviatornutcom/

Custom FW190A by a good friend- customer Tom
{First photo is a conversion I did many years ago. Pretty crude but I learned some things.
Second photo is an in progress shot of another conversion I started for a buddy. Still not done yet but the profile and shaping winds up more like an A model FW and the second one will get a full repaint rather than just a match up and partial re spray with inaccurate markings as on the first. Apologies for the cruddy pics, these are all that I have on my iPad.
Regards,
Tom}

mountian-man
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by mountian-man » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:09 am

Aviatornut:

Thanks for the packaging update. I'm hoping as more pictures and information come in that this FW-190 matches the super quality of Merit's SBD...so far it looks promising! (Spitfire Mk.IX next, Merit??? Fingers crossed*)

Aviatornut.com
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Aviatornut.com » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:45 am

The pictures posted above from my Facebook account are not of the new FW190 BUT they are a custom built plane by Tom. I just wanted to make sure there is no confusion.