REVIEW OF THE 1/18 scale Harrier AV-8B

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Re: REVIEW OF THE 1/18 scale Harrier AV-8B

Post by A-10LOADER » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:30 am

That's exactlly the problem Jay, the nose gear well is too deep which caused the manufacturer to push the seat too far forward.

Steve
OPERATION "DELIBERATE GUARD", "SOUTHERN WATCH", "ENDURING FREEDOM" AND, "IRAQI FREEDOM" VETERAN.

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:41 pm

Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but is the front landing gear set to far forward (towards the nose)? Doing a quick visual check, the leading edge of the front gear door should be roughly halfway between the front of the intake and front edge of the sliding canopy. The merit gear doors look like they are pushed more forward (hence why the pilots seat has been pushed forward)? Is this what you were saying A-10, or are you just talking about the wheel well depth?
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:51 pm

To me the front nose gear looks fine. The issue is the large cavern inside the nose gear well (inside the circle). This serves no purpose, it's not needed for the nose gear to retract into the gear well. It did not need to be this deep.

Steve

OPERATION "DELIBERATE GUARD", "SOUTHERN WATCH", "ENDURING FREEDOM" AND, "IRAQI FREEDOM" VETERAN.

AV-8B Driver
Corporal
Corporal

Post by AV-8B Driver » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:12 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:Unopening canopy doesn't sound very promising, especially compared to every other aircraft in the scale. Hopefully just a flaw...

It's just one of many flaws. They decided on a static cockpit canopy cover because they seriously screwed the cockpit up. Just look how far forward the pilot ejection seat and headrest are. You would have to be 5'0 to fit into that cockpit. It's no wonder they sealed it and gave up on a detailed cockpit.

I could point out many more mistakes but what's the point.

It is a poor model in terms of accuracy. I guess it's excusable considering the toy like origins of these models, unfortunately it persists. I'm surprised there is not a button to push that makes engine sounds.
We are poor little lambs, who have lost our way.. Baa... BAA ..baa..

Winterstar
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Winterstar » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:09 pm

If anyone did pick up the new repaint, I'd love to see some pics of it.

Winterstar
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Winterstar » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:48 am

Thought I'd ressurect this- contemplating snagging a harrier because I have an airplane addiction. Anyone on here get one of the high vis CAG ones? How's it look?