Admiral Prototypes

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Studly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Admiral Prototypes

Post by Studly » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:18 am

G'day Guys. Can anyone tell me if Admiral still have their Prototypes of the A-1 Skyraider and the F-4C Phantom II. Is there any chance they will still develop these two Beauties , as these would go off like Hot Cakes.

Cheers
Studly

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Re: Admiral Prototypes

Post by rschaap » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:05 am

At present it does not appear they have plans to release either plane. If I recall way back when, the thought was they would release the Skyraider first and possibly the Phantom next. One of the issues at the time with the Phantom was the possibility that 21st Century was going to release one also, although they (21st Century) never had a prototype and only showed photos of what was a 1/32 Tamiya F-4 Phantom to represent their model. After 21st Century went out of business it became an issue of sales and cost. This is all I know. There has been a lot of past discussions on this very subject. I would love to have both of those planes. If you can get a hold of Jason from Admiral he could probably elaborate.

Phantom

Skyraider

Maybe in the future...

Studly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Studly » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:49 pm

G'day rschaap. You would think with 80% of the work done on these that they would go ahead and complete these two awesome Aircraft, they would sell well......Lets get the 1:18 scale community to partition Admiral lol. :D .even in those pic's they look Great.

Cheers
Studly

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:09 pm

The Phantom, along with a few others like the Mig-21, represents one of those truly historic aircraft that has yet to be replicated in 1:18 scale. We've needed a Phantom since 21c released their original Vietnam War line back in 2001 (and I seriously thought they would have taken a crack at one back then). Along with the Huey, its one of the icons of the Vietnam war. As Hobby Master has proven with their 1:72 scale tooling there is no shortage of elaborate paint schemes and ordinance loadouts to replicate on the plane and if the model was designed correctly, it could easily be updated to represent different model variations of the F-4.

I know at this point its no use "wishing" we had a Phantom in 1:18 scale as at the current rate we're not likely to see one, but still...
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:36 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:The Phantom, along with a few others like the Mig-21, represents one of those truly historic aircraft that has yet to be replicated in 1:18 scale. We've needed a Phantom since 21c released their original Vietnam War line back in 2001 (and I seriously thought they would have taken a crack at one back then). Along with the Huey, its one of the icons of the Vietnam war. As Hobby Master has proven with their 1:72 scale tooling there is no shortage of elaborate paint schemes and ordinance loadouts to replicate on the plane and if the model was designed correctly, it could easily be updated to represent different model variations of the F-4.

I know at this point its no use "wishing" we had a Phantom in 1:18 scale as at the current rate we're not likely to see one, but still...
I am 100% with you on that. The Phantom took flight in 1958 and is still in service in some countries. It is an iconic airplane.

I remember reading about a prototype Super Phantom by IAI (Israel Aircraft Industries) the project was proposed for a PW1120-powered Phantom, and one prototype built. IAI's F-4 "Super Phantom" or F-4-2000, which could exceed Mach 1 without afterburners, was displayed at the 1987 Paris Air Show. McDonnell Douglas scuttled the F-4-2000's development because it equaled the F/A-18C/D in performance and could endanger future F/A-18 sales. You got to love corporate politics (sounds a lot like the F-107, YF-23 and the F-20 Tigershark).
Last edited by rschaap on Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:50 pm

21C trying to steal Admiral's thunder with that ridiculous 1/32 Tamiya photo was just laughable and downright embarrassing.

I REALLY had wished Admiral had gone ahead with the A-1. What a gorgeous aircraft and the prototype absolutely nailed the look of it.