Any Scoop on the new 1/18th Scale Harrier...?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
MUDHEN336
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Any Scoop on the new 1/18th Scale Harrier...?

Post by MUDHEN336 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:55 am

I really hope the markings on the tail have been corrected. The "Marines" on the tail is at a 30 degree angle. Please tell me Merit noticed this.
Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

--John Wayne

Beeavision
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Beeavision » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:03 am

This appears to be a prototype. There are several flaws that I noticed that seem to me to be too great for Merit to overlook based on their incredible work earlier on the Dauntless.

From what I can see in the two photos (no offense to Merit)....

- "Marines" & tail number are slanted
- Ventral/bottom fins and/or gun pods are missing
- Pylons & drop tanks are missing
- Zero scarf vector forward (fan air) nozzle is positioned further out from the deflector plate
- Deflector plate does not rap around/over forward nozzle
- Air inlets along the edge of the engine cowlings are little roughed up
- One of the access panel doors to the engine compartment is not flush (maybe just loose)
-
Last edited by Beeavision on Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beeavision
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Beeavision » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:49 am

In earlier photos the forward nozzle is almost flush with the reflector plate but now its a little further out. Not exactly sure why. I guess will have to wait until they are finally released in August before we can give an official review.

Beeavision
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Beeavision » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:16 am

Aside from a few flaws for the most part I still think it looks great. Definitely looking forward to getting one.

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:21 pm

I won't be purchasing one, but I got to say, that's a really nice looking model! Looking forward to seeing it wearing ordinance.

snake
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by snake » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:19 pm

For something that is supposed to be released in a month, was hoping for some better pics, showing features, details, weapons etc.

Think it will be good, but need to see some pics of the actual production model. We all know how prototypes and production can vary greatly, so reserving judgment till then.

And does seem that the retailers price are inconsistent, even though it has just been posted. Might pay to shop around for the best price on this one.

Catiously optimistic 8)

MUDHEN336
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by MUDHEN336 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:25 pm

I agree. Didn't take very long for the gouging to begin. I usually order from Aikens Airplanes but they just upped the price to $280 and the Flying Mule has it at $300. Anyone have any experience with Legends Hobbies? Looks like they are at the SRP of $240. I would like to pre order one but hate using a new vendor.
Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

--John Wayne

snake

Post by snake » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:42 pm

Early days, but if there is price gouging going on, I will pass.

Not going to spend $300US on this. Canadian dollar is 20+ % down the last couple of years, and factor in shipping, easily over $400CDN. And that is before potential Customs charges.

No way I am spending that amount on a model that has just been released, and is available. Don't care what it is, or how well it is done.

slogan
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by slogan » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:14 pm

I will order when someone offers an attractive pre-order price.
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

Beeavision
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Beeavision » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:09 pm

MUDHEN336 wrote:Anyone have any experience with Legends Hobbies? Looks like they are at the SRP of $240. I would like to pre order one but hate using a new vendor.
If I recall correctly Merit manages Legends Toys & Hobbies. They share the same address.

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:41 pm

You are correct. I actually spoke to their public sales rep a long time back. Nice gentleman however he had no real information to share with me regarding release dates or upcoming releases. I did buy a few things and they were helpful and honest with the sales.

Beeavision
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Beeavision » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:56 am

Here is another retailer selling the Harrier for $239.95 with free shipping within the US....

http://www.diecastairplane.com/store/p/ ... ecastemail

jlspec
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by jlspec » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:28 pm

I received an email from http://www.CollectableJets.com showing the Harrier (JSI) for $216

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:36 pm

Joining here a bit late and have a few comments to make... First, the Harrier looks fantastic overall and a s a great addition to the 1:18 scale lineup :D However, where's the extra ordinance, etc.? It looks a little "bare" under the wings. Then the price seems a bit absurd! We're talking $300 in some places for a model smaller than the F-14. I'd also want to know why there's such variation among the small retailers in terms of price. In any event, I'm going to pick one up from my local Hobbytown USA store. Confirmed they'll be getting them in at apparently a competitive price... JSI had better not screw up this release.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

trex0770
Corporal
Corporal

Post by trex0770 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:20 pm

jlspec wrote:I received an email from http://www.CollectableJets.com showing the Harrier (JSI) for $216
They just upped their price from $216 to $239.95...in two days! Looks like these retailers are all over the damn place with their pricing!

http://www.collectablejets.com/store/p/ ... -1-18.aspx

p51
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Post by p51 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:25 pm

Sooo... after my friend kept checking the Merit booth all days of the con, today he finally asked the two other booths that Merit was sandwiched in between today (the last day of the con) and they said that Merit was a no show for the entire con!

dannyc
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by dannyc » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:32 am

p51 wrote:Sooo... after my friend kept checking the Merit booth all days of the con, today he finally asked the two other booths that Merit was sandwiched in between today (the last day of the con) and they said that Merit was a no show for the entire con!
Impossible I had a friend who saw them there today with the harrier he wasn't allowed to take pics but he has a pamphlet on it

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:25 am

dannyc wrote: Impossible I had a friend who saw them there today with the harrier he wasn't allowed to take pics but he has a pamphlet on it
Wasn't allowed to take pictures :?: :?: Seriously? A booth at a show promoting their products to the public and wants to keep things secret? That makes ZERO sense. Besides, did they take away everyones cell phones at the door? How could you keep someone from taking pictures? Was the picture police there? Would they try to take away your phone if you did? I guess there were no pictures in the pamphlet? :P
Seriously :?: 8)

What makes the P-51 Mustang so special?

"It would do for 8 hours what a Spitfire would do for 45 minutes."

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:45 am

tmanthegreat wrote:We're talking $300 in some places for a model smaller than the F-14.
It's smaller than an F-18 too. Even a bit shorter than a $39.84 Walmart F-104. Closer to the size of the F-16 but with a shorter wingspan. But size isn't everything. The FW-190 will be about the size of a BF-109 but will likely command a price larger than a Dauntless which by the way is a bargain when compared to $129.00 repaints of tiny MiG-15s.

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

digger

Post by digger » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:39 am

I have seen no evidence online of Merit showing anything at CC. I don't doubt others' accounts, but it just seems odd that they would pay for a booth at CC and then hide-out.

On a related note, I wouldn't expect a Harrier in 2015 if they don't even have something to show off yet.

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:03 am

digger wrote:I have seen no evidence online of Merit showing anything at CC. I don't doubt others' accounts, but it just seems odd that they would pay for a booth at CC and then hide-out.

On a related note, I wouldn't expect a Harrier in 2015 if they don't even have something to show off yet.
As fabulous as the Dauntless is, the expectations are certainly high but the above doesn't bode well for pre-orders. The CC thing is an interesting mystery but then Merit has had a history of mysterious and secretive behavior which is of course up to them but it's not a real good marketing profile. Perhaps this is an example of how small a part of their business 1/18 pre-built is.

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

p51
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Post by p51 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:01 am

dannyc wrote:Impossible I had a friend who saw them there today with the harrier he wasn't allowed to take pics but he has a pamphlet on it
I had my friend asking around and walking booth by booth looking for it over a few days of the con... again, I hate to disagree, but he was not able to find them anywhere nor a Harrier (which he was specifically on the lookout for). But in case you need more proof, here's the photo he sent me:

Having been to Con and chatting with Merit many many times in the past, they've never had a problem with photos. If anything, they wouldn't want the prototype they had last year photographed but they not only let me shoot it last year but also they held it up for me for a few shots. I highly highly highly doubt photos would have been disallowed if they were actually there... which they weren't.

Beeavision
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Beeavision » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:52 am

They may have had to cancel the trip to SDCC at the last minute in order to turn their full attention to final production, preorders & shipping. Especially if they expect to have this in by no later than next month among other things going on we're not even aware of. Regardless, I think they certainly have their hands full right about now. We'll see what transpires in the coming weeks.

dannyc
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by dannyc » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:17 pm

yeah i guess he went to a different booth

normandy

Post by normandy » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:27 pm

When is the FW-190 due out?