1/18 Commemorative Air Force Douglas SBD-5 Dauntless Model

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Coreyeagle48
Officer - Brigadier General

1/18 Commemorative Air Force Douglas SBD-5 Dauntless Model

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Tue May 12, 2015 2:19 pm

Greetings Everyone:

I received my custom 1/18 scale Douglas Dauntless that Pizzaguy (Nate) completed for me yesterday. Nate had asked me to share some photos of the plane with all of you on the board and write what I thought of it. Nate did an awesome job on this plane for me. Below is the story and pictures to go with it. You can see Nate's post for all the building and paint work he did on the plane.

This story starts several years ago when my grandfather told me my great uncle had been a mechanic on SBD's during World War II. I immediately fell in love with the plane for that reason. I was super excited when in middle school, we went to the Air and Space Museum and I got to see the Dauntless that hangs in the Naval Aviation gallery there. I was even more excited to see the Commemorative Air Force SBD-5 fly at the Reading World War II Weekend airshow a few years later.

For those who have never seen her, this is the Commemorative Air Force's SBD-5. She served in the Navy during World War II but never saw action. After the war the airplane went to Mexico where she was used for aerial photography for several years. Eventually the plane found its way back to the United States and into the hands of the CAF. The CAF assigned the plane to its Dixie Wing and this group restored the aircraft. It has been flying in airshows and giving rides since 1991. It is one of only two SBD's to regularly fly.

When I purchased Merit's Battle of Midway SBD, I wondered right away if the Dauntless could be painted to match the color scheme of the CAF's plane. At first, I just wanted the color scheme redone. But there are some major visual differences between the SBD-3 and later SBD-5. On the SBD-5, the propeller spinner was done away with and the hub changed. The prop on the SBD-5 is also has slightly thicker blades. The cowl flap on the -5 is one larger part, not three as on the -3 variant. The -3 variant cowl also has an intake scoop on the prop that was deleted on the -5's cowling. Finally, the old telescopic gunsight was replaces with a reflector gunsight on the -5 variant.

In talking to Nate about some Dauntless stands, I asked him about the TA-183 project and asked him about repainting a Dauntless. He asked me to send him pictures of the aircraft. He noticed the structural differences between the variants and asked if I'd like him to try to fix them. I said that would be great. Nate can surely tell you more about what went into the customization than I can. The first plan was to purchase and send him a Dauntless and send him my reference materials to work from. Nate is a good guy every step of the way, my books came back just as they were borrowed :)

Nate kept me updated every step of the way offering suggestions and sending me photographs to document his work. This is the model assembled and finished once it arrived back to me. I was so impressed opening the box at the quality of the paintwork and the modifications. Nate did such a wonderful job with this plane.

One of the biggest changes Nate made to the plane was the propeller and the cowl. Nate made a new prop and used the hub from the Hellcat for the -5 variant hub. We elected to keep the blades the same as the difference in their size and shape was very subtle. Nate also made a new cowl without the scoop and new cowling flaps that correctly represent the -5 variant.

A few more of the completed model. Nate also changed the windscreen and used the reflector gunsight of the Hellcat to make the model SBD-5 configuration. The model does not have the Westinghouse radar sets. Some of the SBD-5's were not built with them and the CAF's airplane has never had them on. One thing we elected not to change was the tailwheel, I preferred the look of the naval version better (the CAF plane has an A-24 (land based version) tailwheel for better ground handling. The paint scheme is the same as on the CAF plane. All the major markings were painted on with stencils.

The Midway SBD and the CAF SBD together, my pilots have quickly vacated the Midway version cockpit to try out the new SBD-5. Nate also included his last laser cut SBD stand with the plane so I can display this masterpiece as if it is in flight.

I can't thank Nate enough for doing this project for me, three other people had declined when I brought up the idea of just repainting a Midway Dauntless. Nate went the extra mile and did the conversion parts, a beautiful job painting and all with top notch customer service. All of you getting the TA-183 are in for a real treat. Nate does excellent work, takes pride in his work and makes sure the customer is getting exactly what they expect.

I have adored this plane since I was in sixth grade. I never tire of seeing her fly and knowing a family member had a role in keeping this type of plane operational during World War II. I will truly cherish this model for many years to come. A great thanks to Nate for once again taking the time to do this project. It is a dream come true for me to have this particular model in these colors in my collection.

-Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

snake

Re: 1/18 Commemorative Air Force Douglas SBD-5 Dauntless Mod

Post by snake » Tue May 12, 2015 4:23 pm

Very nice Corey, and Nate certainly did an excellent job.

You do realize he will be bombarded with pm's now, don't you :lol:

Glad to see you have an excellent 1/18 Dauntless back in your stable, and an example of the exact plane you were wanting. 8)

B17Fortress
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by B17Fortress » Tue May 12, 2015 5:28 pm

Very impressive!

USCGMK2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by USCGMK2 » Tue May 12, 2015 6:52 pm

Beautiful! Already paid for my conversion and stencils.

Studly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Studly » Wed May 13, 2015 2:16 am

Nice job Guys looks bloody Good and as Snake said the poor Bloke will be Bombarded lol :D

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Wed May 13, 2015 10:21 am

very nice
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller